Matrix vs Tube power amp

deleted

Inspired
Hi,

I'm going to buy a power amp, so that I can use the Axe with a normal 2x12 guitar cab.
The past years I always used it direct to FOH and/or with a Q12A but I'm missing the amp in the room feeling and the feeling that a normal guitar cab provides more and more. The Q12A sounds in some kind of way small and flat. Somehow it's not what tube head and guitar cab provide.
I recently tested a Marshall Silver Jubilee and it sounded really great. My goal is to get a tone like that (or a great Marshall tone in general), but by using the Axe for Preamp, Effects, Routing, Scenes and so on.
So, any advice which amp would be a better choice? Pros / Cons? What do you prefer?

Thanks for your help :)

Long been debated many many times on here. You'll certainly get both sides.

Anyways - I've had the fryette Power Station II for about a month or so now. I'm loving it and kicking myself for not grabbing one sooner. I have owned EHX magnum 44, Art SLA-2, Carvin DCM 1540L, Koch ATR-4502. I've tried a matrix and the other guitarist in my band had one. They all were decent. I used the carvin the longest. Lots will say a tube amp colors your sound. That's where I think the Fryette PSII comes in as its dsigned to be very flat. With tubes comes some more weight though too. Can't go wrong either way.

I think that if you can swing it you should find a way to A/B both options at the same time. There are a lot of differing opinions here and I think the only sure way is to use them side by side. The matrix amps seem to retain their value fairly well so it shouldn't end up costing you too much to buy both and return what you won't use.

How long have you had your AxeFx? Are you comfortable dialing in specific tones? That can make a difference too. I had to adjust my EQ due to specific cabs I'm using. Once I got where I needed to be, there was no need for a tube power amp. Matrix all the way for me. Again, just my opinion though.

I think that if you can swing it you should find a way to A/B both options at the same time. There are a lot of differing opinions here and I think the only sure way is to use them side by side. The matrix amps seem to retain their value fairly well so it shouldn't end up costing you too much to buy both and return what you won't use.

I agree, even the tube amps if you buy used you can sell them for the same price. Trying both will give you peace of mind too and you'll be happy in the end with what you choose. That's why I own about 5 keyboard/ midi controllers right now lol

Thanks for your reply.
Been using the AxeFx since 4 years or so.

Yes, been thinking about buying both too. On the tube side I'm not sure if a Marshall EL34 50/50 or a Fryette 2/50/2 would be a better choice.

Yes - lots of pros and cons for both. I choose to go the Matrix route. I have been using one for about 2 years now with my 2X12 and love it. Its light, sounds and feels great, and no maintenance. I have heard good things about the power station, but have never had a chance to try one.
The way the modeling is so accurate now in the axe, I don't think you'll miss tubes, IMHO.

Following.... yes please do what jimmy said ^. I'm new to the ax2xl+ and am running mine through a Mesa mark4 & a crate 4x12 cab, but am on the fence whether to buy a matrix or powered speakers or just run through tubes and cab. I want the best it can be but don't want to spend a zillion dollars trying to get there. It seems with all the posts I've read no choice is pefect and all about personal preference. So please a follow up post would be great! \m/

Like KEG mentioned, this has been discussed as long as the chicken and the egg debate..

In my opinion..

SOLID STATE = better for FRFR

VALVE TUBE = ‘real’ or ‘normal’ cabs

I’ve owned all 3 Matrix SS amps and they do a much better job with FRFR cabs/speakers than they do with normal cabs, like Mesa/Orange/Marshall etc, however, other people may beg to differ. Because of this, I’ve owned the Carvin TS100 valve amp, the ENGL 50/50 and the VHT 2/50/2 and the VHT has so far proven to be the best. Yes it weighs a lot but the carry is worth the satisfaction and tone that I get from it.

Valve amps may ‘colour’ tone, however valves will add their own character. This really depends on your expectations at the end of the day – the rest doesn’t really matter.

The real question that people should be asking is, what matters most? As in, is it important to have a great bedroom setup, and jam away through your FRFR setup that works really well at lower volumes, or is it more important to cut through the mix in a band environment, with another guitarist, where sound and tone are really supposed to stand out and shine?? For me, it’s the latter. Your bedroom tone will always be there, but your live rig is what counts the most in my opinion. Get that right and everything else falls into place.

Which is better?! For me, the VHT was the stand out winner, but it’s only downfall is the fact that it weighs 16kgs. I don’t use FRFR anymore because it just doesn’t cut it for me, BUT the next person that chips will probably swear by it.

LASTLY, try before you buy, and if you’re in a position to A/B them, do it because it could spare you a lot of heart ache too.

Food for thought..

The Marshall weighs 19kg. :D
I would like to use it in a band situation with another guitarist who plays a tube head.
Unfortunately the units won't arrive earlier enough to get both to the rehearsal on Sunday. So I have to try both at home.
Nonetheless I'll let you know which unit will stay.
Thanks for all the feedback so far. :)

I own both the Powerstation and a Matrix GT1000 and found the Matrix felt much better to me and as far as sound it was a wash. I wanted to use the AXE-FX power amp modeling and it felt choked when using the Powerstation and the power amp modeling. Since using the Matrix I have heard some additional information that might help me in getting the feel back with the Powerstation. I may give it a try at some point but I am very content using the Matrix.

I am playing the Powrstation station tonight at a gig for the same time. This is the same venue I used my Matrix 1000 a few weeks ago. I will let you know how it goes.

So I got my power station this week and i love it. The feel is much improved over the Matrix GT1000FX and its like someone took the blanket off.
Using the same main preset as I setup on the Matrix, it has just a bit too much high end.

My question is, since the tubes are interacting with the speakers, should I be making everything in the speaker page flat? I tried this and it helped take some of the pointyness away but didn't get it all. It also doesn't sound right turning the power amp completely off. Are there any other settings beside Low Res and High Res that I should be turning off?

any help is appreciated

I don't think you need to turn any of the settings off from what I have heard. The PS2 is supposed to be very transparent.

I agree I like the PS better than the Matrix for my setup. I like the Matrix a lot but the PS does have an edge.

Hi,
the Matrix has arrived but the manual confuses me a bit. Maybe someone can help?
I have a 2 x 12 cab which can operate mono 8 ohm or stereo 2 x 16 ohm. And a little 1 x 12 cab which operates at 16 ohm only.
Is it right, that it is no problem to use them on the Matrix with regard to the impedance?
I mean independently. Not together.
The manual says that the impedance should not exceed 4 ohm. The cabs are above 4 ohm.
Or am I just misunderstanding the meaning of exceed?
Thanks for your help!

Ok, so it's the case that I'm understanding "exceed" wrong :D
This means anything between 1-3 ohm would be bad, anything between 4 - 16 ohm is no problem for the unit?!

Back
Top Bottom