Matrix power amp and Marshall 1960B (75s): Yes or No?

JayCM800XL

Experienced
I want to play my XL thru my 1960B cab. I'm considering either a Matrix GT800FX or GT1000FX. Which would be better suited for my cab, which is rated at 300watts? According to the specs, even the less powerful GT800FX seems to have "too much power".

Anyone here that uses either of this two Matrix power amps with a (modern, stock) Marshall 1960 cab that wants to chime in, and would you recommend or advise against this set up, would be greatly appreciated!

In other words, can an Axe FX II XL with a Matrix power amp sound as mighty as my JCM800 2203KK thru the same 1960B cab??? ;)

Either Matrix amp would suit your needs and yes if you turn them up past 12 o'clock they get real loud real fast and will easily match the perceived volume of your JCM800

I use one side a GT800FX into a 400w 2x12 Mesa cab and I'm running at about 1 to 2 o'clock on the Matrix.

I've assisted Clarky at a gig before and I can say that a GT1000FX can power two 1960Bs. It also sounds and looks awesome too.

To put it in mathematical terms: Axe-FX II + GT1000FX + 1960B = Pure Audio Satisfaction.

I power 2 cabs with the GT800. They are 16 ohm cabs and run the Matrix at about 75%, but lately have been running the Axe output knob around 12 o clock. Plenty of power available and sounds bigger than my Dual Rec.

Thanks for the answers! I ask because recently I read that the Matrix power amps work kinda like an attenuator so it's best to keep their volume maxed and to control the volume levels with the Axe output knobs.

Would 400 watts (@4ohms) be safe for a 300 watt cab?

Or will 120 watts (@16ohms) be LOUD enough?

Either should be fine. Just keep an eye on the signal output lights on the front of the amp. These will give you a clue as to how many watts the amp is kicking out for the load it's running at. At 16 ohms the lights will start blinking at 20w and at 4 ohms 60w. You'll find your bandmates will probably start throwing things at you before ever reaching 300w!

Either should be fine. Just keep an eye on the signal output lights on the front of the amp. These will give you a clue as to how many watts the amp is kicking out for the load it's running at. At 16 ohms the lights will start blinking at 20w and at 4 ohms 60w. You'll find your bandmates will probably start throwing things at you before ever reaching 300w!
Thanks! Are those figures you mentioned for the 800FX or the 1000FX? I've checked their respective manuals and didn't see that info in relation to the signal light indicators.

I was expecting a bigger response to this thread, either enthusiastic or cautionary, as it's about an extensively used rig (Axe/Matrix/Marshall cab).

I've done searched the whole internet about this topic and despite opinions from cork sniffers, erred users and the hearing impaired I'll proceed to order a GT1000FX this week!

The only, newly arisen doubt I have is: Will the Axe/Matrix work well with a Furman conditioner? But I will leave that for another thread.

My rig is Furman+ Axe2 + Matrix GT1000 + sunn 4x12 and 1960B (both cabs are g12t-75's), and my bass players Blue line SVT 8x10 (300watts) gets buried by my volume if I go past 2 on the matrix... Now we ask him to turn up haha. Its more power than anyone would actually need, and it compliments the axe fx well.

As far as worried about speakers handling the power, I've cranked the matrix to unbearable volumes several times (unbearable meaning my drummer became dizzy/nauseous at that volume lol) and my cabs were able to handle it. Most club sound guys wont let you turn up loud enough to do damage to your cabs anyways.

The Furman has actually been a great help btw. One sound guy at a club thanked me because the Furman showed really bad power fluctuation(115v-127v) on an outlet he suspected was bad, and was able to show the club owner proof that it needed to be fixed. He was stoked.

I'll chime in here too..
I rehearse/play in three locations. at one place I have a stereo 1960 cab, an egnater tourmaster212x stereo cab at another, and two 2x12 Mesa cabs at another. I use my axefx2 and a matrix800gt to power them all with amazing results. The matrix800 supplies a robust and full-sounding power to all three scenarios with ease and my cabs all handle it very well.
I've used a matrix1000 for awhile and it just seems unnecessary. The 800 works just fine for my applications that are NOT FRFR, and I can't imagine any other single space rack unit that cooperates with the axefx more than this. I say save the extra cash and get an 800 instead of the 1000...
GL

I've assisted Clarky at a gig before and I can say that a GT1000FX can power two 1960Bs. It also sounds and looks awesome too.

To put it in mathematical terms: Axe-FX II + GT1000FX + 1960B = Pure Audio Satisfaction.

I agree completely. This would be my B rig as I'm currently waiting on 2 CLRs.

Thanks for the replies! My brand new GT1000FX should be here tomorrow.

I still need to consider the power conditioner and rack case options before I bring everything to the studio to test at band rehearsal.

Been using a GT1000 to power 2 Diezel cabs, one with K100 and one with V30's. Furman, wireless, Axe II, and Matrix in 4 spaces. You can't beat it.
As far as power' you will have plenty. The overall volume really depends on a variety on levels. Sure the Matrix is obvious, yet the internal levels of each patch as well as the Axe output level will also make a big difference.
This rig is killer because I send output 1 to FOH and then output 2 to my cabs. I get consistent tone to FOH and then can have real cabs onstage pushing air. ITS AWESOME!!!

Have fun.

Ive used a 1000 with my jcm900A cab (pretty much the same as the 1960's) for a few years now. Sounds great. As for rack case options, my 2 cents...get 2 spaces more than you need. That way, you have flexibility. Or get one with rear rails rather than a front rail only. I always wanted to just have my power conditioner, g90, gt1000 and axe fx in one box, but thats 5 spaces, or 4 with the power or wireless on the back. I use a gator rack bag and its great for portability, but not for my particular setup.

For solid state amplification, it's no secret that you want 2-3 times the RMS of your speaker wattage to properly drive them with clean headroom.

I had a Behringer EPQ2000 not being used and gave that a try with my 1960B in stereo and it works amazingly well. It pushes 500 watts a side @ 8 Ohms. I wanted to feel the roar so I got another 1960B cab, switched them both to 4 Ohms mono and it kicks the power amp up to 1000 watts a side...... earth shattering, and the cleanest tone ever. FYI I have ran FRFR for the last year with a pair of Atomic CLR active wedges, and loved it. They do not have the "balls" of a 412 cabinet though, and as such are more suited to monitor duty.

I run power amp modeling on, with no Cab block.

Anyways, it works and sounds great. I still send direct with a cab block to our board.

Thanks! I'm set to try my Axe Fx rig thru 4x12 first because that's the most common available back line at most NYC metal/hardcore/punk gigs I play. I usually bring my 1960B w/75s, which I love!

For the type of shows we play, it's usually 2-3 vocal mics thru a shitty PA! No sound reinforcement, no monitors, no soundman (not a real one, someone just turns up the vocals when the band starts and plays mp3s between band sets, LOL :D )

Back
Top Bottom