Matrix NL212 or FR212

Georg80

Hi Guys,
I'v been searching through the forum but haven't found a thread yet, that compares these two Cabs.
Can anybody give me an advice which cab would suit me better? I own the Axe FX II - Mark I and a Matrix GT1000FX power amp

I've already played the Axe II through the following cabs and have never been satisfied with the live tone:
- Atomic Reactor FRFR: sounded horribly to my ears though it's got e built-in tube power amp
- RCF NX-12 SMA: active fullrange flatresponse cabinet, sounded too much like a high-fi system to me, no in the room sound and the wedge system didn't fit to me - I guess I need
some roaring in the back on stage
- Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12 real cab: sounded ok but a too muddy when cab sims were on, too thin when cab sims were off - the sound couldn't simply cope to with my real amps

I'd like to have my Cab Sims IRs active but I want a great real amp sound in the room.
Is there nothing in the Cabinet-World that can do both things?

My last hope in order to use the Axe live (it's really great in the studio) are the new Matrix Cabs.

So which one would you recommend?
What are your experiences with these units?

PLEASE HELP ME

I'd like to have my Cab Sims IRs active but I want a great real amp sound in the room.

I think this answers your question. It's a huge item of debate, but I don't think you are going to get an "amp sound in the room" that suits you if you go the FRFR route (FR212).

There are many posts here regarding the NL12s and the unofficial poll (my casual observation) is that many/most prefer to run with the cabinet sims off, but some say that they run the cabinet sims on with the NL12.

Why would you want the cabinet sims on if you are using a more traditional guitar cabinet? After using Atomic CLRs for 8-9 months, I just picked up a pair of NL12s after reading great reviews here and trying a friends 2x12 cabinet. I wanted the "amp in the room" sound. I don't have enough playing time on them yet to give a meaningful review, but what little time I do have with them was pretty encouraging. For now, I am happy with the plethora of effects and amps and am 100% OK with a fairly neutral power amp + cabinet like the GT800 and NL12s.

Everyone is playing with the new 13.x and Axe Edit, so the busy topics are UltraRes... put that in the title of your OP :)

Yeah, maybe a title like "Beta Testers Wanted for v14 and UltraRes 2" will get a few hits.

Look at cliffs speaker frequency thread when using real guitar cabs... Match speaker frequency and low resonance etc to get much better sound of the mesa cabs.

The FR212 will definitely give you back some of the "thump" and push of air that only multiple speakers can give you. (which 1x12 systems sometimes lack) Good IR choice will still be important though.

Thanks for your answers.
I guess I expressed myself a bit complicated.

My post was meant more like a poll:
"Which system do you guys prefer? FRFR or the new NL212 cab by Matrix"

Fw13 ultrarez definitely seems to add the thump back to Frfr speakers... SO FR212 may be a safe bet

I had almost given up on Frfr.... But the latest firmware update brought it to life...

I too am looking to buy one of these two cabs and have been doing some research.

As far as I can tell. The fr212 gives a more "recorded" sound (it is FRFR after all), while the nl212 has a "live" sound. So I would presume the nl212 is the one to go for if your performing live, especially if you have another guitarist going through a traditional cab.

As for the fr212, I see it as a "bedroom" cab, a substitute for monitors. Because if you really wanted FRFR live, then surely you would would be going through FOH directly?

At least this is my current thinking... however, I hope someone who has used used both of these live can elaborate further on this.

I too am looking to buy one of these two cabs and have been doing some research.

As far as I can tell. The fr212 gives a more "recorded" sound (it is FRFR after all), while the nl212 has a "live" sound. So I would presume the nl212 is the one to go for if your performing live, especially if you have another guitarist going through a traditional cab.

As for the fr212, I see it as a "bedroom" cab, a substitute for monitors. Because if you really wanted FRFR live, then surely you would would be going through FOH directly?

At least this is my current thinking... however, I hope someone who has used used both of these live can elaborate further on this.

It's the IR's or cab sims that give the "recorded" sound because that's what they are...a small snapshot or recording of the speaker. (and the mic etc). The FR212 I certainly wouldn't class as a bedroom cab, it's been designed straight from the off with live playing in mind to give the "feel" and "thump" of a guitar cab but in the FRFR format. Most players prefer monitoring themselves in some way whether that's FRFR or traditional cabs, the beauty with FRFR is that we can hear exactly (in most cases) what's going to FOH as well and have total control of that on stage. The goal of any FRFR system made for guitar I'd say has been to deliver studio monitor quality and sound (although even studio monitors are sometimes far from flat response) in a roadworthy way.

You make a good point and I understand the desire to have your own cab that replicates FOH, but personally I see this as a job for the fr12 wedge.
But I can also see how the fr212 would be more suitable for the people that play larger+louder gigs. As I assume this added "thump" and "feel" is purely down to it being a 212 and moving more air.

However, for those small gigs in local pubs with no PA, surely a nl12/nl212 would be better suited? Unless... *light-bulb*... does setting the mic to "NULL" for the fr212 "liven" it up? Has anyone tried this?

There's lot's of ways to "liven" up an FRFR solution and lots and lots of people have tried it. Adding some "air" at around 5.2khz in the cab sim is a well known trick as well as adding a healthy dose of mids via an EQ block. I personally add a PEQ block in parallel with the cab sim. Set high and low blocking filters and add mids and some top end. basically set the PEQ up like a speaker waveform. Mix it in with the cab block. Lot's of people, myself included just can't get used to the wedge format and prefer the sound coming from behind them. It causes me less problems with unwanted feedback and ear fatigue. Even when I had the CFR wedges, I used them on end and behind me in a backline fashion. There's no right or wrong way though, all down to personal choice. A good sound is a good sound whether it's through FRFR or a traditional cab.

Thank you for your hints and advices.
I guess I'm following ibanez_keag's arguments and gonna order the NL212.
Sending the FR signal to the FOH and keeping a traditional "in the room" sound behind me suits my playing probably the best.

Can some NL212 owners give their review? Can the NL212 cab cope with any traditional big cab e.g. MESA Rectifier 4x12 ?

Back
Top Bottom