Matrix + NL12 or 2x12???/CLR?

Bill Piersall

Experienced
Really interested in trying this setup given all the positive reviews. I'm currently using RCF with good results, but interested in bigger back line without too much more weight. My question has been touched on before, but I'm still a bit confused. I want to be able to take advantage of using IR's, especially with the new UR IR's out. Will the NL12 and 212 work well for cab sims, or is it pretty much a cab sim off approach? I know users have gone without sims on with good results, but seems a shame to give up on all the cab options available. A Fender twin amp sounds much different through its stock speakers than a Plexi does through a 4x12 greenback cab. Don't see how 1 cab can cover all that ground well.
Also interested in hearing how the CLR compares from users that have had/tried both. Not looking for flame wars, just honest opinions please, lol.

Any user comments with details would really be appreciated!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

Matrix212

I heard the Matrix 212 cab at the AXEFest show last October,and it is by far the best sounding cab I have heard with the Matrix amps,and AXEFX2.I run 2 Marshall cabs,and am going to switch to the Matrix212 cab.It blows away traditional Guitar cabs.

I heard the Matrix 212 cab at the AXEFest show last October,and it is by far the best sounding cab I have heard with the Matrix amps,and AXEFX2.I run 2 Marshall cabs,and am going to switch to the Matrix212 cab.It blows away traditional Guitar cabs.

Are you talking about the FRFR cab or traditional cab?

With sims on?

Sent from my iPhone

IMO, cab sims off with the NL12. It is definitely a guitar cab, although a fairly neutral one, and definitely not a FRFR monitor.

Details

The FR212 is an FRFR cab (Full Range, Flat Response) in a traditional backline style for guitarists who want the big look and sound of guitar backline coupled with the technology to use the full features of today's guitar amp modelling products.

The FR212 is a mono cab featuring 2 custom built, high powered (500W continuous power handling) lightweight 12" neodymium drivers and a single 1" HF compression driver with a custom designed passive crossover network handling the overall signal. The cabinet is tuned and ported as you'd expect to give the optimally flat response with an extended bottom end to handle 6 strings and beyond. It achieves this impressive bass performance with a flat response inherent in the design of the cabinet and porting rather than an artificial, electronically boosted bass.

We worked with one of Europe's leading driver manufacturers on this project, trialing a number of custom built drivers before settling on one which met our exact specifications. The emphasis on this design was in matching the bass to the treble in a manner that allowed the best transient response, and maintaining a linear phase relationship throughout the working range of the cab. Minimising the phase shifts and getting the flattest possible response greatly assists in accurate reproduction of impulse responses, providing minimum coloration to the signal.

The HF compression driver we chose is particularly flat and accurate, and again, is custom built for us, specially for this speaker.

The FR212 is capable of handling the loudest band and stage situations with ease whilst providing a big full sound that feels like a 4x12 with a wide sound coverage and great off axis sound reproduction. The combination of the two custom built bass and HF drivers provides a consistent, even response throughout the frequency range. Put well recorded music through the cab and you will appreciate the work we have put in. Clean, detailed and accurate - sounding like a large, well controlled studio monitor or large hi-fi system ... yet with the power to fill a stage and ruggedness to cope with the working life of band backline.

Our passive version is designed to be used with the existing range of Matrix amplifiers, matching their highest power ratings to deliver uncompromising sound.
Weighing in at an impressive 23.7kg (52.2 lbs) the FR212 is comparable with other 2x12's on the market but few can match the 1kw programme power handling or impressive sound quality of the FR212.

Details

The FR212 is an FRFR cab (Full Range, Flat Response) in a traditional backline style for guitarists who want the big look and sound of guitar backline coupled with the technology to use the full features of today's guitar amp modelling products.

The FR212 is a mono cab featuring 2 custom built, high powered (500W continuous power handling) lightweight 12" neodymium drivers and a single 1" HF compression driver with a custom designed passive crossover network handling the overall signal. The cabinet is tuned and ported as you'd expect to give the optimally flat response with an extended bottom end to handle 6 strings and beyond. It achieves this impressive bass performance with a flat response inherent in the design of the cabinet and porting rather than an artificial, electronically boosted bass.

We worked with one of Europe's leading driver manufacturers on this project, trialing a number of custom built drivers before settling on one which met our exact specifications. The emphasis on this design was in matching the bass to the treble in a manner that allowed the best transient response, and maintaining a linear phase relationship throughout the working range of the cab. Minimising the phase shifts and getting the flattest possible response greatly assists in accurate reproduction of impulse responses, providing minimum coloration to the signal.

The HF compression driver we chose is particularly flat and accurate, and again, is custom built for us, specially for this speaker.

The FR212 is capable of handling the loudest band and stage situations with ease whilst providing a big full sound that feels like a 4x12 with a wide sound coverage and great off axis sound reproduction. The combination of the two custom built bass and HF drivers provides a consistent, even response throughout the frequency range. Put well recorded music through the cab and you will appreciate the work we have put in. Clean, detailed and accurate - sounding like a large, well controlled studio monitor or large hi-fi system ... yet with the power to fill a stage and ruggedness to cope with the working life of band backline.

Our passive version is designed to be used with the existing range of Matrix amplifiers, matching their highest power ratings to deliver uncompromising sound.
Weighing in at an impressive 23.7kg (52.2 lbs) the FR212 is comparable with other 2x12's on the market but few can match the 1kw programme power handling or impressive sound quality of the FR212.

Thanks! So FRFR212 for sims, NL212 without?

Sent from my iPhone

Correct. The NL212s are fairly neutral as has been said but are still traditional speakers. YMMV with the use of cabs sims. The FR212 is the full range 2x12 we do. That's probably the cab the chap in the earlier post was alluding to as I was mainly playing that all weekend.

Just to focus in on the OP's "...without too much weight comment", this is the only regret I have about my CLR active wedges - they're heavy buggers. They have "neo" versions which are lighter, but I believe they are more expensive. I haven't played throuzgh any Matrix gear, so can't comment on sounds.

Correct. The NL212s are fairly neutral as has been said but are still traditional speakers. YMMV with the use of cabs sims. The FR212 is the full range 2x12 we do. That's probably the cab the chap in the earlier post was alluding to as I was mainly playing that all weekend.

I agree...that "YMMV" with the use of cab sims with the NL212 (or the NL12 for that matter).
For home use, I play through a Bose L1 with the new"B2" sub and playing with quality backing tracks at fairly high volume, I find that I enjoy using the Matrix cabs (either with my NL212 or my (2) NL12's with the cab sims on. To me, if I don't use the cab sims it sounds a bit piercing. I realize I can probably EQ that out of the picture, so any presets with cab sims, I just leave them in. Occasionally, I bleed a bit of "Out2" to the FOH Bose, and in conjunction with the 2 NL12's... sounds fantabulous !

I believe that a couple of users on the forum (LVC for one) made a comment on a post that he also played some gigs using his Matrix NL12's with cab sims "on" and thought they sounded fine...but then others don't like them "on"..., so as Lightningboy says "YMMV"
I really like the Matrix NL's ...whichever you purchase, I believe you'll love 'em..., the only thing heavy about the Matrix NL's is the sound. :encouragement:

I believe that a couple of users on the forum (LVC for one) made a comment on a post that he also played some gigs using his Matrix NL12's with cab sims "on" and thought they sounded fine...but then others don't like them "on"

For clean/bluesy type stuff that might be possible but as a hard rock guy, I don't see how it would be possible for harder edge stuff. It adds undesirable sounds into the overall tone.

I just recieved my Nl212 and I used the cab with both sims on and off I originally thought with sims "on" it would only sound decent at lower volumes but not so for me they sounded great loud I am running a Gt1000 through it.

I use 2 standard 2x12 guitar cabs (v30) with my GT1000FX with cab sim ON and its sounds great.
The bottom line is there are no "specific" rules, do whatever sounds YOU right, cab sim on or off, doesn’t meter, if you like the sound, that’s it!
I'm also planning to reduce weight by switching to NL212, very curious about them.

Back
Top Bottom