Matrix NL 212 with or without cab sims?

Are your patches dialled in for use with any other amps and cabs? The speakers will soften a little as well when played in so the "ice pick" should smooth out. I've found in general with traditional cabs, I sometimes have to use the Hi-Cut and dial out some hi end. Remember the speaker tab is very important. I tend to raise the resonance and lower the Q occasionally to widen the spread of resonance. Play around with the frequency as well to suit.

Hi Jollo, i play similar amp sims (low gain stuff) and similar setup like you do. Adam a5x for frfr and NL12 for traditional cab.
And i go definitaltely without cab sim....but if you tweak your sound with cab sim on u can get also a good tone out of nl12...

Can u try to dial in without cab sim and than compare which is better, the new tone or the older one with cab sim...and for this tests dont even turn the tannoys on...

hi jollo, i can send you some presets no problem, but do you play with humbucker or singles coils? my presets are for for humbucker.

Thanks Semith. Would you mind sharing a patch so that I can see what you are doing? If you would rather not, I understand.

Hello Jollo ...
As I am still quite an Ax Fx II noob, myself...,

I found that I was running into the same thing with both my NL12's and NL212 (using Matrix GT800FX fwiw)., in that I found that my sound was so much "richer sounding" with the cab sims on ...so much so, that I've not really delved into doing much tweaking of the EQ to make the "cab sims off" sound as good as with them on. Keep in mind, I'm talking about playing in a live band situation....NOT recording.

One of my fave presets that I found that gives me that sound with the cab sims ON is one that was posted by LVC that he would use for "live" gig work is this ---> Axe-Change - Download Preset - Twin Dumble HB - by LVC It is a multi-scene preset for a humbucker guitar. He also has one for single coil, if that's what you play. It covers a range of 80's style rock/metal to nice cleans. I'm not sure what it is about this preset that gives it such a full, live sound with cab sims turned on, compared to many others that I've tried. Being the Ax FX noob that I am, I've been unable to dissect it's components/settings to figure out the mojo it's got working, so that I might apply them to other presets. Maybe some of the Ax Fx veterans could enlighten me as to what it might be that makes this preset sound the way that it does. :)

So you're not alone in the "Cab Sims On" camp ....but that might change for me as my experience grows using the Ax Fx and I tweak and experiment more with them off.

hi jollo, glad you start getting and feeling better with the NL12...yea you need to crank them up to get the real tone. if you play with lower volume than THUNK and TREBLE (PRESENCE) helps to dial in the missing freqs...but than it wont work when you turn it loud again.

here is some amp blocks...just my clean tones with different amps i dialed today. (fenders, vox, hiwatt...) these are done with my guild starfire 4 (bridge pick up). guild sounds much brighter than a gibson or my framus. keep in mind...hope this will give you an idea
and you will find smth usefull

http://www.semihyanyali.com/buyural/Amp.zip

Volume makes all the difference in the world. I was able to crank it up today and I sat my blackface Vibrolux on top the NL212 to see how close I could get them. I found that really cranked up the NL212 sounded better with cab sims off. I also found that with cab sims on and messing around with the global graphic EQ that if if boosted 2 or 3 db at 2k and 1 or 2 db at 4k, cut 31 hz all the way down, cut 63 hz around 6 db, that I could also get the NL212 and the Vibrolux to sound pretty close.

I think I may be starting to get this. Also, I really love LVC's Dumble preset.

Yes, volume makes a big difference, just like a real amp sounds better with more volume. I'm running a similar setup GT800FX - NL212 in stereo and honestly just bringing up the default amp model settings usually sounds pretty decent. It may be worth noting that I generally favor more Marshall mid to heavy gain type tones but I have not liked anything with the speaker sims enabled. I have a pretty cool Trainwreak preset that may be of use and can post it if you are interested. Good luck, sounds like you are on the right track.

hey! I've got a nl212 too. My trick to get the fizzyness away it to put in a PEQ that dives around 11660 Herz.. -6 db i think. To get a lot more oomph.. simply just turn up depth or dynamic depth. If you've dialed in your patches on monitors I can asure you they won't sound good through the nl212.

Jakob

hey! I've got a nl212 too. My trick to get the fizzyness away it to put in a PEQ that dives around 11660 Herz.. -6 db i think. To get a lot more oomph.. simply just turn up depth or dynamic depth. If you've dialed in your patches on monitors I can asure you they won't sound good through the nl212.

Jakob

I had never tried adjusting the Dynamic Depth before, great tip as it adds in some of that Whooomp to the lower end. All without changing the mids like the regular Depth parameter seems to.

Back
Top Bottom