Matrix Neolight NL212 traditional cab

I can confirm you that these speakers have some magic.
It sounds clear but not harsh or picky.
I think it sounds better than most guitar cabs I have tried.
Very well balanced, deep bass and sweet highs, mids are punchy.
When you raise the volume they are so clean too.
I have tried some time ago Neo Speakers like Celestion Century in diezel cabs, I thought they were cold and lifeless and the cab was still heavy.

I'm talking Neodymium in general. Neo-speakerunits have an tendency to reach higher up in frequency, both in 1" and 2" compression drivers as well as mid- or low units with paper cones. But with the side-effect of having a ragged linearity. I don't know what brand Matrix uses in the NL's or if they notch-filter their behaviour in the top end - with all respect.
But the different Neo units I have tried were too ragged and sonically ill-behaved. But the key-benefit is off course the weight. Another thing is, that I will allways favour the absense of a cross-over, being digital or passive.
I would love to hear the Matrix, but as a DIY guy I put a lot of effort in trying out different drivers and evaluating them with measurements and by ear especially.

From my POV the whole cab-scenario with respect to the Axe is only in it's state of birth. We are not talking about full-range systems that is equally good with guitar and rendering a full band or orchestra. It's a question of amplifying the same subtle nuances and dynamics coming from a guitar and whatever brand or model of one or several paper-cone speakers with a single voice-coil directly to the tube- or SS-amp.

Your concerns and "preconceptions" will end as soon as you try one.

Your concerns and "preconceptions" will end as soon as you try one.

I hope LVC. I know from all your posts that you have a lot of experience, especially playing them live. I also yet have to hear a CLR.
My points are only based on a lots of years working with PA-systems and studio-monitoring besides playing with generic tube-amps and cabs. My "preconception" are layered in a vast experience with cabs, drivers, digital/analog cross-overs and digital room-correction.
Getting the Axe was really a paragdimal shift. And still is, considering all the guys in here that sometimes favour an ordinary cab over a "frfr" - and vice versa.

The complex scenario of buying gear like this is based on soo many considerations. Playing at home, in a club, as back-line, as a front-monitor, preferring clean or crunch etc. etc. No speaker is a Schwizz Knive. But kudo'es to Atomic, Matrix et. al. for the focus. I'm not trying to be "smart-ass", but the better part of the engineering in most loudspeakers follow known rules.

Getting the Axe was really a paragdimal shift. And still is, considering all the guys in here that sometimes favour an ordinary cab over a "frfr" - and vice versa.

I am one of those guys that favor a cab over FRFR.

I am really enjoying the NL12 with my AF2 and the vintage tube amp heads I own as well.

I have compared the NL 212 with my Bogner 2x12 and the Matrix sounds more open, less nasal, more bass, more highs.
Matrix cabs are still new, I think they will sound even better when they will break in.

Reactions: LVC
I have compared the NL 212 with my Bogner 2x12 and the Matrix sounds more open, less nasal, more bass, more highs.
Matrix cabs are still new, I think they will sound even better when they will break in.

I agree -- when you get 10-20 hours on them .... watch out!

Same change as with any new cab/speakers -- they need a little breaking in. My NL12s warmed up a bit, and the highs smooth out.

they sound fantastic!

Yes, yes ... every speaker is made of different materials glued together. They need time to settle, vibrate, get loose. Don't judge any speaker before a hard break-in.

Reactions: LVC
For the guys that have an NL 1x12 or 2x12 -- check out this preset and let me know what you think.

It is my "Fried Twin" for single coil set up for live playing

5 scenes

1. Clean Twin
2. Twin with comp
3. Twin with AC Boost
4. Friedman BE (Crunch)
5. Friedman BE (Lead)

It has a volume pedal at the end of the chain (you can just by-pass)

This preset kills with my Suhr Landau SSS guitar

Attachments

• Fried Twin SC NL12.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 41
For the guys that have an NL 1x12 or 2x12 -- check out this preset and let me know what you think.

5 scenes

1. Clean Twin
2. Twin with comp
3. Twin with AC Boost
4. Friedman BE (Crunch)
5. Friedman BE (Lead)

I Will Try it today !
Thanks ;)

5 scenes

1. Clean Twin
2. Twin with comp
3. Twin with AC Boost
4. Friedman BE (Crunch)
5. Friedman BE (Lead)

Hey!

I have tried it, it sounds great but too dark for my taste.
With the NL 212 too dark and too bassy, I prefer with the NL12 of course it was made with them ;)
But for my guitars and playing, I prefer more "air" in the sound.
Thanks for sharing !

Hey!

I have tried it, it sounds great but too dark for my taste.
With the NL 212 too dark and too bassy, I prefer with the NL12 of course it was made with them ;)
But for my guitars and playing, I prefer more "air" in the sound.
Thanks for sharing !

I uploaded the wrong one -- sorry

would be interesting if you tweeked for the NL2x12 just to compare

Attachments

• Fried Twin SC NL12b.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Here is my Twin Tweed version for the NL12 (again for single coil)

Attachments

• Twin Tweed SC NL12.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 22
I got mine since yesterday.

I use to play high gain stuff through a Matrix GT1000FX with a Marshall 1960 (V30s + GT75s X-pattern). The NL212 sounds much better to my ears. Handling less power of course... but without tweaking my presets and in vertical position, I felt more confortable with the NL212. Low end improves a lot in my high gain presets. Maybe I should tweak my clean patches because they seem very clear and I like warmer sound for clear tones.

Few months ago I returned a Matrix product because it was not what I expected but... now I am seriously thinking about a second NL212 :)

The NL 212 is wonderful!
In stereo it's really amazing.
With volume pushed it eats any Marshall cab in my opinion.
I tried neolight speakers with my tube amps it works great too.
With sims ON it sounds like shit with my preset though...

So guys.....which speakers would these compare to? V30s? Greenbacks? Etc? They seem to be very versatile by your accounts

that's a good question.
For me they are no as voiced as V30 or Greenbacks.
More neutral which is fine for the Axe FX because cleans and dirty sounds are more accurate.
In comparaison of a V30 they are less nasal, more open highs, more bottom.
My Scumback is more like that, soft sound with great response in bass frequencies.
When I compare to my V30, the V30 is really picky in the highs.
Electro Voice EVM are maybe in the same kind of sound I think.
I think that if you are searching a more "colored" sound, V30 or Greenbacks are a better choice but your loose that versatility

Back
Top Bottom