Matrix gt800fx with Mesa 212...Safe?

seriously??

Set the matrix to Stereo if your driving a single cab and not bridging the amp.

Connect the AFX to the Matrix with either a Jack cable or an EXR cable into whichever channel your using on the Matrix.

Also, to compliment what Paul and Adrian said... make sure you set your Axe output mode to either SUM L+R or COPY L>R. Refer to page 157 of the Axe-Fx II Owner's Manual to determine which mode would suit your needs better.

Alright thanks everyone for your help.
I am running the left 1/4" from Output 1 on the Axe into the left input on the Matrix and then out of the Matrix left output into my cab using a speaker cable. The Matrix is set to stereo.

It sounds awesome and I'm very happy with the tone using cabs off. I dont notice an audible difference when I scroll through Copy L-R or SUM L>R. Should I hear a difference?

Hey guys. I know its an older thread - but I have recently got me a GT1000FX and currently pushing it into a Randall 4x12 (8ohm mono 300W max) for a test. The power matches up on paper (Matrix in stereo mode, one channel into 8ohm = 300W max output) - good. So the matrix will never be push more than 300W. Today I was running it and reached the output clip LED on the amp pretty quickly. If I took it up to the level I wanted it would have been hard on the whole time. I wanted to check if this is ok in normal operation? If I take the heat off my patches or turn things down to eg - just flickering leds, it's not loud enough. And I know it's supposed to be devastatingly loud. I was at about 12 oclock on the axefx output and the matrix output when it started to flicker a fair bit.

Great thread, I was wondering how I was going to push 10,000 watts into my 30 watt rated speakers!

In all seriousness, I really appreciate the info in this thread. I just figured that it was the magical amperage elves that would somehow descend upon my cab and and fairy-dust it, allowing it to work with the same amp that would drive four 4x12 cabs!

Great thread, I was wondering how I was going to push 10,000 watts into my 30 watt rated speakers!

I see what you did there :)

In my configuration I effectively have a 300W head into a 300W rated speaker configuration. Should be sweet. I just don't get the peak LED's

I'm not sure that I see what I did there?...- hopefully no offense was taken, I certainly meant none. I was at the local guitar mega-store the other day and the amp the salesman was trying was a ridiculous amount of wattage!

I just received the Matrix GT1000FX yestereday and I am running it into a 4x12 Marshall 1960 Cab with 16 Ohm Celestion Vintage 30's. This is a great thread because I have had and still am attempting to understand all the same questions. I play mostly high gain patches so what would be the optimal settings for Ouput 1 on the Axe and what mode on the matrix (paralell or bridged mono) without blowing up my cabinet?

I'm not sure that I see what I did there?...- hopefully no offense was taken, I certainly meant none. I was at the local guitar mega-store the other day and the amp the salesman was trying was a ridiculous amount of wattage!

No offence taken. I just get the joke :) these incredibly powerful amps atop a couple vintage 30s!

Hi there,
Sorry for the delay on the reply, been a little busy playing with loud stuff.

The signal lights next to the gain pots on the front are not clip lights.
They will start to illuminate ( flicker ) at -9dB,

Therefore
320 watts at 8ohm - 3dB = 160 watts
320 watts at 8ohm - 6dB = 80 watts
320 watts at 8ohm - 9dB = 40 watts

If the lights are starting to stay on you are exploring 80 watt territory, there is a lot more left to explore. Now is the time to turn it up :) :) :)

I imagine that the point you get the amp working at full ( which is still only using 20% of the power available from the transformer because we like headroom ), that you, and most other sane people, would no longer want to be in the same room as your cab :)

We will be running some stuff hard at the demo and testing day next Thursday ( which people are invited to attend - no charge ). I shall take a dB meter and ear plugs with me.

Please let me know if you would like a phone call, I am always happy to go through stuff with customers.

My best regards
Matt

Hey guys. I know its an older thread - but I have recently got me a GT1000FX and currently pushing it into a Randall 4x12 (8ohm mono 300W max) for a test. The power matches up on paper (Matrix in stereo mode, one channel into 8ohm = 300W max output) - good. So the matrix will never be push more than 300W. Today I was running it and reached the output clip LED on the amp pretty quickly. If I took it up to the level I wanted it would have been hard on the whole time. I wanted to check if this is ok in normal operation? If I take the heat off my patches or turn things down to eg - just flickering leds, it's not loud enough. And I know it's supposed to be devastatingly loud. I was at about 12 oclock on the axefx output and the matrix output when it started to flicker a fair bit.

Thanks Matt. That helps a lot with regards to the output of the amp. Excuse my ignorance but is there any risk of driving the amp too hard from the axe fx ?

Hi there,

I think Cliff said the max output that the Axe II can achieve is 20 dBu, compared to 18dBu on the Axe I
The GT1000FX is set to a sensitivity of 0.775v
We have not had any feedback from a customer saying they are having problems with driving too much heat to the input stage, therefore I expect that the Axe in day to day use is perfectly happy outputting the required 0.775v.

Hope this helps, if you would like any more info feel free to post a message here or drop me a mail ( matt @ matrixamplification dot com ) with your number and I will be happy to give you a call.

My best regards
Matt

Thanks Matt. That helps a lot with regards to the output of the amp. Excuse my ignorance but is there any risk of driving the amp too hard from the axe fx ?

I just received the Matrix GT1000FX yestereday and I am running it into a 4x12 Marshall 1960 Cab with 16 Ohm Celestion Vintage 30's. This is a great thread because I have had and still am attempting to understand all the same questions. I play mostly high gain patches so what would be the optimal settings for Ouput 1 on the Axe and what mode on the matrix (paralell or bridged mono) without blowing up my cabinet?

Let me know how you like the sound. I have a Marshall 4x12 1960 cab as well and am curious what the tone would sound like compared to my Mosvalve solid state power amp.

Also, do you have the amp sims on? I can't turn them on when using the Mosvalve because the tones sound like I'm standing in a tunnel.

I just don't understand...I'm playing through a Axe Fx 2, GT800FX & 4x12 Recto cab....stereo. I'm only seeing a flickering light with everything maxed out. When I turn down and plug a cab in at stage volume no lights are flickering. It sounds ok but I just want to make sure it's using the GT800FX to it's full potential. What am I doing wrong? I really don't want to have to go into EVERY preset to raise or lower the output gain. Please help ASAP!

I just don't understand...I'm playing through a Axe Fx 2, GT800FX & 4x12 Recto cab....stereo. I'm only seeing a flickering light with everything maxed out. When I turn down and plug a cab in at stage volume no lights are flickering. It sounds ok but I just want to make sure it's using the GT800FX to it's full potential. What am I doing wrong? I really don't want to have to go into EVERY preset to raise or lower the output gain. Please help ASAP!

Hi there,
The output lights only flicker when you start to use 12% of the available power.
If you are playing into a sensitive cab loaded with a guitar speaker you may only just need that first 5% to 10% of the amps potential output.
If you were to plug into a cab rated at 16 ohm rather than 8ohm you would need to use a bit more power, ( which is always available )
If you then plug into a full range cab, which is rated at 200 watts 8 ohm you would be running the amp at nearly full power to get the most from the driver.

Provided you are happy with the sound that you are getting, and able to rip a drummers ears clean off at will, with your current setup, then everything is fine. The output lights are only there as in indication of output power level for guitarists using traditional cabs who need a guage so as not to damage v30's etc.

Hope this helps.
My best regards
Matt

p.s. If you would rather I give you a guick call then send me your phone number to: matt at matrixamplification dot com

Back
Top Bottom