Matrix GT800FX with Axe FX II

nscali

Hi,
I am sure I know the answer but I feel I need to check here!

I currently use Output 1 to FOH and Output 2 to power amp/Cab.
All my patches are set up with the FX loop before the Cab.
I like this set up because it gives me the best of both worlds.
I am currently waiting on my Matrix GT800FX to arrive and planned to run the Output 2 into it, then to a Cab.
Obviously no issue here.
My thought was to run the following setup as a rig, taking advantage of the power amp at all times.
I wanted to know if anyone thinks this may have issues and wether others are doing the same.

1. Setup up Out 1 and Out 2 as mono on the Axe (Copy L to R). Same Out 1 - FOH and Out 2 - Cab setup as before with FX loop on all patches.
2. Run Out 2 (L) of the Axe into Channel A of the Matrix. Channel A out of Matrix into a Guitar Cab (Mesa 2 x 12 Vertical).
3. Run Out 1 (L) of the Axe into Channel B of the Matrix. Channel B out of Matrix into a passive wedge (eg. Atomic).
4. Set Output volume A and B of the Axe roughly at 12 O'clock.
5. Run Out 1 (R) of the Axe into FOH.
6. Use the Gain controls on the Matrix power amps to adjust my stage volume during the course of the gig.
Therefore - Channel A gain to adjust Cab volume behind me. Channel B gain to adjust wedge volume in front.

I know this setup may seem a little complex but it seems it allows for maximum flexibility, making use of the power amp, allowing for real cab sound, as well as FRFR monitoring and FOH. It also gives an option to Mic the Cab if needed.
Does anyone see a potential issue with this set up?

Thanks
Nicky

Apart from possibly having to EQ the signal going to the real cab slightly (some people get some extra fizz) you should be OK. Sounds like the best of both worlds and a great rig.

Sounds exactly like my rig :D

I do however send Stereo outs to FOH from Out1 L+R
Also find I have to raise the Global output level of Out2 to balance up the Matrix inputs to allow 12 o'clock on both.

Just out of interest, what speakers do you have in your vertical 2x12 Mesa ?

The vertical 2 x 12 has V 30s. It sounds good with most heads. I much prefer it to the Mesa 4 x 12.
Thanks for the reply.

So, do you run the unbalanced Out 1 into the matrix input, then give the balanced Xlr outputs to FOH?

Yes I also have a 4x12 Mesa and prefer the vertical 2x12 !

Yes run the out1 & out2 unbalanced into Matrix then the balanced out1 to FOH, got my Mesa cab behind me giving raw power and my FRFR wedge in front of me giving a great compliment

It doesn't get any better :D

Use EVM-12Ls

Back
Top Bottom