Matrix GT800FX first impressions and question

Hi Vamp & Jon, sorry for the late reply, just got out of the factory.

The amp should fit within a 1u space, although you are going to have to pop the feet off. I have 4 of the 1u units in an 4u demo rack ( was an interesting setup ). We have not used countersunk screws on the top because they can be a little difficult to extract if cross threaded at some point. I have seen quite a few amp technicians with drill in hand swearing as they have to drill the screws out to get access to a piece of equipment.

My apologies for the pots not being level. Please feel free to adjust them, safe in the knowledge that we shall find the person in factory responsible for the error
(which might mean I have to beat myself with a big stick before sleep tonight. )

Hi Louder, have you got an interesting box delivered yet ?

Alright Tom !

Still have your TS-100?

Hey John!

Yes, I still have the TS-100. I think it sounds really good, but now that I'm playing out away from home a bit more, I'm finding the weight to be more bothersome to me than I thought it would be. I'm hoping the GT800FX will sound at least as good as the TS-100. If it does, it'll save me 17 lbs of weight and 1U of rack space!

I just gotta say (and I know I'm repeating what a lot of others have said), working with Matrix thus far has been a fantastic experience. Their level of communication with me with regards to my quote, my order, and shipment info has been top notch. My amp shipped today from the UK, and UPS tracking says it will be here by the end of the day Wednesday! And this is UPS Ground! I can't get stuff from the West Coast shipped to me that fast with UPS Ground! :lol

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a business trip to Cleveland, OH, and won't be back until late Thursday night, so I won't get to play around with it until Friday night after work. I'll try to post up my initial impressions sometime this weekend.

The Matrix is an amp with great tone and specs. Jay Mitchell (SS power amps, why is Matrix the chosen one for Axe-Fx users? - The Gear Page) doesn't think it's that special, but oh well...

When compared with the Atomic 50/50 I prefer the 50/50, but that one does cost more here in Europe, must be maintenanced from time to time (tubes) and is much heavier. I had to take my stuff out of my 5HE flightcase and put it into 2 small cases because of the weight. I'm actually contemplating putting the Matrix in a case again with the Axe and wireless.That makes an easy to manage rack case for rehearsals and such. And taking the 50/50 in a separate case with me just for gigs. We'll see.

Still get niggles for an Atomic Yek. Its still that weight though :( Now my AFX2 has arrived its a toss up between trying the 50/50 and getting one of the RCFs Scotts using - and giving FRFR a whirl.

Back
Top Bottom