Matrix GT800FX 1U randomly powers down...HELP..!

The title basically explains my exact situation..

I just got a second hand Matrix GT800FX.. I currently have it in MONO mode with an XLR from the Left output of my Axe FX into the XLR input A of the Matrix and running a Monster Studio Pro Speakon cable from output A of the Matrix into an Orange 2x12...

Here's what happens.. if I leave the Matrix idle for a few minutes it will go into some sort of standby mode. I have to shut it down for about 30 seconds and power it on to get it going again.. is this normal?

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.

The amp will need to go in to be checked as something is definitely not right. Double check the speaker cable just to be certain. Is the amp shutting down totally (powering off) or is it going into protect mode (red light on front of amp)? Head on over to the Matrix website and search for "repair guitar product" and you'll find a link to book the amp in for repair or alternatively get the contact details and have a chat to Andy when Stateside awakes (although he'll just say to get the amp in for repair also!)

The title basically explains my exact situation..

I just got a second hand Matrix GT800FX.. I currently have it in MONO mode with an XLR from the Left output of my Axe FX into the XLR input A of the Matrix and running a Monster Studio Pro Speakon cable from output A of the Matrix into an Orange 2x12...

Here's what happens.. if I leave the Matrix idle for a few minutes it will go into some sort of standby mode. I have to shut it down for about 30 seconds and power it on to get it going again.. is this normal?

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'd consult Matrix, rather than post here.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I did get in contact with Andy last night, he sounds like a really cool guy to deal with. Basically just told me to send it in and to be extra careful with the packaging.

I posted on here in case this was some sort of feature that could be easily remedied.

It happens to me also.. I've bought the GT800FX about 2 years ago and I've never had problems with it. Suddently, it powers down when I am playing and I have to wait a few minutes before I am able to turn it back on.
I am not sure if this is a real problem or what..

Another thing I noticed is that, when the unit is on and everything seems to be ok, then I manually turn it off, is it normal hat one of the orange lights inside the unit stays on for a few seconds after you turn the amp off?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Maybe the fan is broken and the unit shuts off to protect itself?
Contact Matrix.

Thanks Yek, I checked the fans and they are both working fine.. it's kind of hot where I am right now and that could be the cause.. but it's weird that the unit does not put it self in protect mode (with the led turned on) and shuts down directly with no protection led on.

I will be in touch with the guys from Matrix and check. I will post any information I have here in case someone needs it in the future.

Thanks

It happens to me also.. I've bought the GT800FX about 2 years ago and I've never had problems with it. Suddently, it powers down when I am playing and I have to wait a few minutes before I am able to turn it back on.
I am not sure if this is a real problem or what..

Another thing I noticed is that, when the unit is on and everything seems to be ok, then I manually turn it off, is it normal hat one of the orange lights inside the unit stays on for a few seconds after you turn the amp off?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

This is exactly what I'm experiencing.

I've been checking it for the last two days, (turning it on and leaving it on until it shuts itself down) and to my surprise, it stayed on for almost 3 hours last night without shutting down. I even powered up my axe and played with it for a bit to see if it shuts down, and it didn't..

I'm starting to think that it has something to do with the environment, I bought mine off a guy who lives in a very humid part of the country so maybe some of the components were affected by that during transit? I really don't know.

If yours started having this problem after two years then it might be some sort of wear and tear issue, the previous owner of the one I bought also owned his for two years before he decided to sell it to me.

I think that it's possible the environment affected something in the unit. I am from Brazil and right now is very hot around here and I suspect this could one of the things that could cause the problem.

Tonight I'm going to play with my band and will test it again in a colder studio environment, with air conditioners and stuff.. if it works, that could be the reason.

Either way, I think this was not supposed to happen and contacting the Matrix guys for support is always the right thing to do.
I will post the results of tonight as soon as I can. ;)

I think that it's possible the environment affected something in the unit. I am from Brazil and right now is very hot around here and I suspect this could one of the things that could cause the problem.

Tonight I'm going to play with my band and will test it again in a colder studio environment, with air conditioners and stuff.. if it works, that could be the reason.

Either way, I think this was not supposed to happen and contacting the Matrix guys for support is always the right thing to do.
I will post the results of tonight as soon as I can. ;)

I've already contacted Matrix, from the problem I described to them, they suspect that its something that can be easily fixed if I ship the amp to them.

However, being that I just got the amp 3 days ago, I'm hesitating to ship it out.. especially since it magically worked last night.

Yeah, that's exactly what they've told me too. I tried using the amp in a colder environment but the problem still happened, so I believe that's not the cause.

Back
Top Bottom