Matrix GT1600fx "Output Level Display" general level limited

Hello guys,

I come here because i have a problem with my matrix gt1600fx during rehearsals.

For information my rig is: Cab2*12 Mesa rectifier + matrix gt1600fx+axe fx II+furman PL-PRO+LTD SC607b tunned in drop G#.
I used to connect outup1 from Axe fx II to matrix input A (stereo but i use only canal A) with XLR cable and a HP cable between matrix and my cab.
I share here my Axe fx II preset.

Usually i set up outup1 from axe fx to three o clock and increase matrix knob volume in order to get general level sound i want, in my rehearsal case it's a loud volume of course because we have a drum and it's metal band.

First thing:
In rehearsal situation i have to increase level knob on the matrix at noon (half of the maximum), the matrix gt1600fx is suposed to be very powerfull so i find it strange (on the axe fx i have well set up "level" of the block amp, at maximum before red led lights of course). If i compare with my engl head 120w, my level (general master) is at ten o clock). I tried "bridge" mode of the Matrix (and change cable connections of course) but the level of the sound seems to be the same, i need to be at half.

Is it normal?

Second thing (the more important):
During rehearsals i need to set level up, in order to be at the same level that the others instruments (there is another guitar, a bass and a drum), so i have to set up level knob of the matrix at one o clock, but from half, the led "Output Level Display" begin to flash and i have a feedback when i don't play guitar. It strange because this feedback is sensitive with bass drum (maybe vibrations which arrive in my emg81 pickups, the drum was at 2-3 meters of the amp and the ground is composed of wood, i can feel vibrations on my feet).
This is a problem because i can't more increase the level knob, and during rehearsal my level is under the others instruments (a drum has generally high volume and guitars need to have loud volume to be heard).

I tried severals things like :
-decrease drive, master, level, bass, and even depth etc.
The result is a sound less loud (it's normal of course) but when i want compensate with the matrix knob level, when i arrived at the same general level, "Output Level Display" begin to flash again, so i can't get a higher general level.
-desactivated comp, drive and Peq => no improvement.

I also tried output 1 from axe fx at ten o clock and the matrix knob level at 3 o clock to have the same general level but i still have "Output Level Display" begin to flash.

I don't inderstand what is the origin of the problem.
I hope matrix gt1600 isn't faling. And i hope not to have damage my 2-12 cab, i don't think because when i played with my engl head (120w), general level was higher, but i'm not expert on this subject.

Thanks in advance,

Bye++

Attachments

• John Rythm1.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 2
Hi,

Just a clarification, i have this problem with high gain amps, but with clean sound (form example usa clean 2) i can set up general level a little higher (enough for rehearsals).

Bye

To much gain? Increase volume on the amp. Less gain. Also try with another guitar.

I tried GT1000 and it kept up with my Mesa 50/50 easily.
And not to far away from the Bogner Ectasy 101b next to it.
Also read the Matrix manual. As allways RTFM :)

1st, half up on the Matrix is NOT half volume. Its not even half power - its a log pot. As an example, I have recently purchased a Fender Machete combo - 50W valve. When the Fender is Maxed, 2 o'clock on the Matrix (with same input) is quite a bit quieter than the Fender - by 4 o'Clock the Matrix is considerably louder. Dont be afraid to push the Matrix to full and control the volume from the AFX.

2nd - the output level light is NOT a clip light. When it starts to flash its at -9db from its capability which is 1/8th its power. The 1600 is a max of 800w per channel into 4Ohms. If your Mesa cab is 16 Ohms then the Max power from the Matrix is going to be 240w. At -9db (when your light starts to flash) your actually only pushing approx 30 Watts. If the Cab is running at 4 Ohms - your still pushing 100W when the signal light flashes - and thats clean power. The Engl is going to push more than that unless its crystal clean.

Check your cabs Ohm rating - and if its 16 - you can push the output on your Matrix a lot higher from a pure power/volume perspective.

The feedback is another issue - and I suspect its down to a patch issue. Too much gain, or wrong EQ ing giving issues.

I have a GT800 and have the gain on both channels cranked all the way and use the output knob on the Axe Fx to control volume. It is crazy loud and can only run the ouput knob on the Axe at 11 'o' clock. As far as the feedback issue, you will need to go into the layout menu and page over to the In/Gte page and adjust the noise gate. At home with studio monitors, I don't really need the gate, everything is nice and quiet. When I have things cranked up with the band, the guitar will feedback unless I have the gate set up correctly.

Hello,
What does it mean decrease gain, decrease drive or decrease master volume?
To paulmapp my cab is 8ohms.
About my problem i forgot to say: "output display level" lef flash when i am at noon on the matrix but when i am at one o clock the led stay illuminated (constant light blue).

Thanks a lot

So as Paul said, if the signal level light is just starting to flash on the 1600, that means the amp is putting out around 60w at 8 ohms. When the lights start to stay solidly on the the power has increased to 120w. The area between the flickering and staying on is not definite though so I'd imagine the amp is somewhere between -9db and -6db (For every 3 db increase in volume, the power doubles) at probably -7db. You'll probably be outputting something like 80w I'd imagine.

As for the feedback issue. If you've got some interference with the bass drum look at reducing some of the 31hz and 63hz in the Global EQ as a starter or adjust the low end blocking in the PEQ of the patch you posted to help.

I have the GT1600FX and run power amp either 3/4 or full. Adjust Axe Fx output to taste. Simple.

Back
Top Bottom