Matrix FRFR 1x12 Coaxial solution!

Hi Matrix,

Is this you're first excursion into making speakers? Can you tell us anything about where the engineering work was done? Did you staff up a speaker design group or was the design work contracted out. If this is proprietary info, I fully understand. Looks like a very cool product ... thanks ...

Hi Quark,
My apologies for not replying sooner, I had missed your post.
Andy has spent three decades within the industry. We are fortunate that we did not need to staff up a design group, we already have that experience in house.
Thankyou for your comment on FRFR, we are working hard to make it as good as possible before we release it.
My best regards
Matt

Hi Matt any insight as to why you guys chose to go full range with your FRFR offering as opposed to Bi-amping?

Hi there,
We are very fortunate to possess the skill set we have in house, which enabled us to design a high quality crossover for the testing of the first prototype from the GM50 and GM100

We were very satisfied with the quality of the output from the first prototype, however, we were not willing to stop there and have continued development and testing to ensure that we only offer the best solution we are capable of achieving.

I am sure that some of the people visiting our demo room, on May 20th at the Haydock guitar show in England, will be members of this forum and are likely to report back with their experiences of the MK3 active cab and the Celestion loaded coax passive cab.

Its only 25 days away now :)

My best regards
Matt

That's a nice speaker.

It's not the same as the picture of your cabinet though, right? The picture I've seen shows a Beyma/RCF style horn on the tweeter, which the Celestion lacks.

A single coaxial speaker gives you a single sound source. That helps the sound, when the rest of the speaker is executed right. If you start adding more coaxial drivers, you get multiple sound sources, comb filtering, and a much more directional signal (a narrower sweet spot).

Could matrixamp confirm this? Does this mean it isn't recommended to have two 1x12 coaxial speakers? These new coaxial designs seem very intriguing but to be forced to only have it in a single 1x12 factor seems a bit disappointing. As far as volume goes for small gigs and band practices

Ok so I go away for a week and it looks like the cat is now out of the bag!

Matrix Amplification are working on a 1x12 coaxial wedge. I had the pleasure of testing a prototype at home and with my band for a week. This thing kills. It's portable and loud, the response was very flat, it just sounded great with the AxeFX II at all volume levels. The best thing about it for me is that it sounds like a guitar cab, it's not sterile like some FRFR solutions that I have owned in the past. There doesn't appear to be much info out on the web yet but it shouldn't be too long!

It's worth saying that the quality of both the amp, cab and speaker are top drawer, I can see this working for many people looking for a guitar based FRFR solution.

For the record I have previously owned QSC, FBT, RCF, LD Systems and Alto speakers and I can say without any hesitation that this speaker works better in the FRFR/Guitar modelling environment than any other that I've played.

Here is a pic to keep you entertained until more info becomes available :)

Check Matrix FB page for more info and updates

Matrix Amplification | Facebook

I think that there is a video somewhere showing the FRFR off with the AxeFX II. I'll try and dig it out.

Rock on!

Spence

Not sure how it can sound 'very flat' yet more like a guitar cab than those others. Kinda gotta be one way or the other. Play your ipod through it, then you'll see if it's really flat or not. But whatever the case, I'm not surprised - their amps are great!

One thing that that I picked up on after seeing the pics from the shows was that the coax cabs were being used for the wet signals with a conventional cab being used for the dry. I'm aware that Matrix would want to demo their amps being used for both type of cab scenarios, but did anyone present at the shows get a hands on try at using just the coaxs on their own as a stereo or dual mono solution?

I've used a 2 1x12 (conventional speaker) cab set up for many years in both stereo and dual mono set ups and have no qualms about carrying them about - if the stage space allows a bit of space between them then it does sound 'nicer' for stereo stuff but 70% of the time I had them stacked on a single speaker stand and wasn't aware of any filtering from where I stood. Maybe the increased angle of horizontal throw claimed by coax speakers would necessitate space between them??

Carrying 2 1x12 cabs rather than a single 2x12 also helps keep your arms the same length :)

Quick video clip of the Axe Fx II playing through the Matrix GT amp and the FRFR wedges :)

The 4x12 was not plugged in at all on the day, though all were convinced when listening to the two passive cabs we were playing at the time, that they were listening to a 4x12

Best regards
Matt[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom