Master volume - A little experiment.

If your trying to determine which you like better, than yes they should be at same perceived level. But if your just trying to figure out which is the one with the higher MV they dont need to be the same, the change in midrange tone is a clear giveaway. If the difference between the two was more drastic than I would understand this argument, but its only off by a few dB. Even at the same volume my preference would be sample 1.

To be honest Mr. Kostein, I wouldn't change a damn thing you are currently doing. Your presets already sound great. Fun to experiment, but you already dialed in some magic in your presets.

I'm glad you like them presets :) Do you know how I dialed them in? Experimentation :p Even though I have my tones pretty much set I can't help but play with knobs from time to time and see what I can come up with. Most of the time nothing really comes out of it but then I get an "aha" moment and it feels like early Christmas. I guess I like challenging myself.

As hinted by others, unless you match the apparent level of both clips, any comparison is meaningless. We always perceive a louder sound to be "better", "more exciting", etc.

You can't use meters to level match, you have to use your ears.

Which is what I'm attempting to do right now with all these guitar tracks. Hoping to finish experiment phase 2 by tonight!

Before scrolling through the thread to see which was which, I thought the first one was the higher MV as it seems to have more ballsy punch and slightly less definition. 2nd clip sounded weaker in comparison but more open. To me neither is better or worse.

Experiment phase 2 complete!

I took note from Matt's comment on Cliff's post about MV and expanded the experiment to four clips. I recorded the guitars with the MV set to: 1.00, 3.00, 5.00 and 7.44 which is where I have the preset I use. I also tried balancing them with my ears and I think the perceived loudness is pretty close. I did one track with a full mix and one with just the guitars. I didn't use any post processing on the guitars this time as well. Here are my findings.

Exhibit A - Full mix

Exhibit B - Solo guitars

Back
Top Bottom