Marshall Plexi = true test of amp modelling

1poorplayer

Power User
The AX8 is undoubtedly an amp monster. You want it , it's in there.

Amp modelling , from a number of companies , has been able to create Hi-gain sounds for quite a few years now. Raw preamp grit. But that's where it ended. Clean , and in between - could only be had , with real amps , unless you had Fractal.

The Plexi is where it's at with me. I'm so impressed with the sound of the Plexi amps in the AX8 , that I am compelled to shout it out loud on the forum.The dynamic range is nothing shy of amazing.

Thank you @FractalAudio for allowing me to experience the fruit of your hard work and engineering. You are brilliant.

I've had my AX8 since it's initial release , and still consider myself to be a "newbie". For those of you who are looking for help getting "that sound" , I can't recommend reading the Wiki enough. Once you've chosen the amp and cab that best suits you , read thru the Wiki for tips on how to make those fine adjustments that will make your toes curl.

One last word for other "newbies" like myself ......if you can , do yourself a favor , and make the next best purchase you can make , after buying Fractal ,.... buy a good FRFR. You will hear things you won't otherwise hear. Let your budget and your experience help you decide if you can or should. These are only my opinions. Proceed at your own risk.

I disagree with what you said about high gain sounds. I hear it quite often that people claim that high gain modelling has been nailed by early modelers, but I haven't heard good ones before Axe Fx and Kemper.

To me, the Plexi models in the AX8 (all of them) are the pinnacle of Fractal's modeling. They're easily my favorite models in the box and work for absolutely everything.

Axe-Fx III.......?
Display , interface , I/O , configurability , no audio drop switching , ......THAT I can believe.
A better sounding amp/cab , NO WAY.
( I'm not saying I wouldn't like one , or won't buy one ) ;)

Last edited:
I disagree with what you said about high gain sounds. I hear it quite often that people claim that high gain modelling has been nailed by early modelers, but I haven't heard good ones before Axe Fx and Kemper.

I retract my statement. Your right. The higher gain tones were IMO the only tones remotely close to acceptable from older modelers.

I have just visited some high gain amps in the AX8 , and they are pretty #@$&-ing amazing. Whew. Hang on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom