Marshall JVM410HJS - real amp versus Axe3

I don't think it is. I think it is more likely that Joe's amp had significant schematic or tube differences when compared to the production model. Pots are a minor thing in comparison.
Can you tweak them to get much closer to the amp? Forget the values, ultimately how close can you get it? Would like to hear those results if you can.

Can you tweak them to get much closer to the amp? Forget the values, ultimately how close can you get it? Would like to hear those results if you can.
I thought I'd already clarified this point, but actually I didn't. Yes, I have tried ignoring the actual values and just dialing them as close as I can - I cannot get anywhere near close to my real amp to be honest with you.

The pink noise chart is pretty helpful. If you acknowledge that the modelled version of this will not be the same as yours without additional tweaking and instead focus on how to shore up the differences, couldn't you use the EQ tab in the amp block or a dedicated EQ block to bring things closer?

I agree that the sound of your real recorded amp is nicer and it's primarily the 2-3 db difference in 2500 - 20,000 range that I'm hearing as different. You may also find that if you get the highs dialed in that you also need to cut from 2k down to about 80 as well to get things to match. Surely you can get the shape the same and presumably get the sound the way you like it.

This is so reminding me of the Silver Jubilee, since we have the Omega but many wish we had the Marshall production amp! I don't have a preference either way on this, but I'll say I am amazed that we have models of the amps owned by so many legendary guitarists. Satriani is one of those guys I have the most respect for, and I think this is just an incredible detail to know. Talk about burying the lead! The list of these revered musician owned amps should totally be front and center in the marketing for Fractal products. It's a gargantuan selling point, and we hardcore users don't even know the complete list! That's when you know you're at the pinnacle, where a detail like this is not one of your most important selling points!

Thanks for having cultivated relationships with a collection of the best ears in guitar, and providing us with their personal gear, even when sometimes we don't know it! It makes me wonder what other rock star amps are in there we don't know about.

The JS JVH is one of the amps that needs help. Not accurate. FAS will get it with some more time. Ive played the amp. It's really great. It could get closer with some cab manipulation.

Personally I really dig the JS JVM in the Axe. To get the brightness I turn up the treble in the cab block’s Preamp section EQ. It brings the bite back in, maybe try that?

I’ve got the real amp also and the main difference I found with the settings was with the gain levels - the actual amp gain is far higher than the same settings on the axe fx.
That said, I love the one on the axe iii and use it with an overdrive to increase the gain and it sings 🤘🏻it’s my main preset amp for gigs and sounds great.

I’ve got the real amp also and the main difference I found with the settings was with the gain levels - the actual amp gain is far higher than the same settings on the axe fx.
That said, I love the one on the axe iii and use it with an overdrive to increase the gain and it sings 🤘🏻it’s my main preset amp for gigs and sounds great.
Would be interested in your preset, if you'd be willing to share.

The model is based on Joe's personal amp. He sent it to me. When I entered the values from the schematic it didn't match. The tapers of the controls were different and there were some other differences. I can only assume that his personal amp is different than production models. This is often the case as production models are designed to be inexpensive to build (i.e., using control tapers that are used in other models to reduce inventory, etc.).
I mean, does it get any cooler than this? So many times we're chasing artist tones but it's close to impossible since we don't have access to their actual amps. I'm for one extremely thrilled to have Joe's JVM in the Axe instead of a production model.

From the pictures your real OD 2 volume is set very low. I think you need to crank this to 10 to get an equal power amp response. Or otherwise, reduce the master volume even more in the AxeFX3 (below 1)

From the pictures your real OD 2 volume is set very low. I think you need to crank this to 10 to get an equal power amp response. Or otherwise, reduce the master volume even more in the AxeFX3 (below 1)

From experience with the amp:
High master volume, low channel volume == low master volume, high channel volume.

You don't get any extra power amp response by cranking the master volume with a lower channel volume. You do if you crank both, but it should be fairly obvious that you would with any amp, because you are literally driving it harder.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/t38avnk908spjvonecabu/h?rlkey=19chuipogtadhr92g3if1sl3p&dl=0

This folder is some new clips. The new JVM OD Red versus my real JVMJS. I think it can be made much closer now.

From experience with the amp:
High master volume, low channel volume == low master volume, high channel volume.

You don't get any extra power amp response by cranking the master volume with a lower channel volume. You do if you crank both, but it should be fairly obvious that you would with any amp, because you are literally driving it harder.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/t38avnk908spjvonecabu/h?rlkey=19chuipogtadhr92g3if1sl3p&dl=0

This folder is some new clips. The new JVM OD Red versus my real JVMJS. I think it can be made much closer now.
A - sounds much better. Is this a real amplifier?

Back
Top Bottom