Marshall JCM800 Tweak Guide with Version 9.x Firmware

I dialed these settings in & I finally experienced the "clean up with the volume down" & "crunch with pegging the vol pot". I realize now that all my previous patches are just overkill. Thanks for that insight, but as I'm still ear-tarded, I couldn't find a nice drive in front that was smooth. I kept getting this harsh breakup.

I was using the TS OD/MOD with gain around 3-6. Just experimenting with all the diff knobs, but nothing was as smooth as it was without the drive. :(

Scott Peterson said:
You either had a JCM800, or you played an amp that sounded like one.

Or you played a Mesa Mark series amp. ;)

Thanks for sharing the settings.....I'll have to dive into these and see how they sound..... :cool:

I Just tried these setting and I really like them. I don't have the red IR's but the settings sound nice with the stock cabs.

Thanks for sharing Scott.

Larry

I love the 800 settings from Scott. I have to say, it has replaced my previous preset as my go to preset. Unless you have tried his Redwirez cocktail, you don't know what you are missing. That ir (the mix) is a major part of the tone.

Keep em coming Scott!!! Is there any way you could start working on a Vox style amp/cab? How about a Fender amp/cab too!!!! You Da Man!!!!!!!

mitch236 said:
BTW LAYGO, I added a tube drive and left the stock settings and it sounds fantastic!!

I just got some weird farty sound in behind the main sound.

I was doing the Matchless tweak thread & spent more time cleaning it up on that one. I need to come back to it for the 800.

mitch236 said:
Unless you have tried his Redwirez cocktail, you don't know what you are missing. That ir (the mix) is a major part of the tone.
+1

I have been spending the weekend (up till 2AM last night, and too late tonight) redoing my patches for 9.0. I haven't been too happy with them (but I haven't put in the time, like some have :roll:). I tossed (well, lost through what I thought was a backup) most of mine and picked out a couple dozen 9.0 factory presets, as a starting point. I have been inspired by Scott and Hadley, among others, to embark on more major tweaking.

Scott, your JCM patch with the Red Wire mix is awesome! The presence (for lack of a better technical term) of the speaker is so "there" (I was using headphones, and it was fabulous). It particularly stands out when repeatedly bending a note. There's a great bite to the patch, too. I will tweak it, as I will probably make a copy of it anyway so I can use it with my PRS Custom 24 and a Strat, but this is a great one.

Thank you for sharing!

Ed

LAYGO said:
mitch236 said:
BTW LAYGO, I added a tube drive and left the stock settings and it sounds fantastic!!

I just got some weird farty sound in behind the main sound.

I was doing the Matchless tweak thread & spent more time cleaning it up on that one. I need to come back to it for the 800.

That farty sound disappeared when I increased the Damp to around 7ish. I forget where I read that here, but damn was that the trick!

sorry for being a noob, but is the JCM800 amp block stock? If not, how can I acquire it?
I can not find it anywhere in my selection (ultra).

Thanks!!

Kjutte said:
sorry for being a noob, but is the JCM800 amp block stock? If not, how can I acquire it?
I can not find it anywhere in my selection (ultra).

Thanks!!

"Brit 800"

Thanks, that's what I used.

Thing is, what came out of it with the given settings are mere clean/crunch tones...?

Thanks again

Guys remember that my tips and opinions expressed in the OP and throughout the thread are relevant to the 9.xx firmware, not 10.xx firmware.

I set the JCM800 differently now; though I don't have my preset or Axe-FX handy right now to tell you what I've done.

I approach the JCM800 as a pretty clean amp, I don't use too much gain in the amp; instead relying on a Drive pedal or the 'boost' function in the amp block. I keep the master somewhat lower than the Wiki recommends. I'll update later.

The JCM800 as I run it is a mid-gain Marshall. YMMV.

My favourite stock cab setting for the JCM 800:

4x12 30w + 4x12 recto2

I use a strat with single coils so I turn off the treble boost. It sounds great even on default amp settings.
IMHO with that cab combination it feels and behaves very much like the real deal.

Edit:

For that punchy crunch sound that this amp is known and loved for I like to:

-(from default settings) put drive to 5
-treble boost off
-treble and master to 6
-presence to 3
-tonestack to 'german'

Grab a Les Paul on bridge pickup and do some bare knuckle chord playing.

ang said:
scott with 10.01 do u still keep the presence at 0?

In 10.01, I run a pretty similar preset to the OP.

Changed from default:

Drive: 6.02
Boost: Off
Bass: 3.03
Mid: 6.14
Treb: 5.00
Bright: Off
Presence: 0.00
Master Vol: 5.00

Everything else in the amp block is default.

The cab I use is slightly different:

Redwire IR: G12M 1" Cap Edge SM57 panned left 25%
Redwire IR: G12M-25 1" Cap Edge SM57 panned right 25%
Air: 20.1% @ 3526Hz
Drive: 0.12 (on each IR)
Mic: None

That's it.

If you want to goose it real good, try this in a Drive Block:

Tube Drive
Drive: 3.50
Tone 5.00
Low Cut: 793Hz
High Cut: 20000Hz
HV Tube
Slew Limit: 0.00
Bias: 0.02

Bass: -4.0db
Mid Freq: 638.2
Mid: 0.0
Treble: -2.1

Mix: 100%
Level: 7.64

Scott would you mind to put a patch here?
Somewhat I dont get it right;for sure I set one of the parameters weong

Thanks

Roland

thunder100 said:
Scott would you mind to put a patch here?
Somewhat I dont get it right;for sure I set one of the parameters weong

Thanks

Roland

I'll try to later. Note the cab is a stereo cab, not two mono cabs.

Terrific tone, Scott. And I like that Tube Drive on top of it too.
You're using AIR and/or DRIVE with all amp sims?

yek said:
Terrific tone, Scott. And I like that Tube Drive on top of it too.
You're using AIR and/or DRIVE with all amp sims?

Drive is at 0.12 and Air is at 15% mix and 3500Hz. This is a pretty 'standard' cab setup for me across the range. Sometimes the Air percentage changes, but that's a good starting point for what I like.

Back
Top Bottom