Marshall JCM800 Tweak Guide with Version 9.x Firmware

Dialled this up and played it thru a Fratomic using a PRS custom 24.
Absolutely fantastic.
Always liked your presets Scott, but this is awesome. Thanks!

Just a quick note: I changed a setting, so I updated the OP and redid the soundclip (same basic meandering on the fretboard).

Basically, I upped the Sag to 7.20 and slightly changed up the drive gain (up to 7.56). Other than that, everything is the same.

The Sag being cranked up really gives it some more balls; and on the gig this weekend, I REALLY liked it. Even on tunes that I would normally take a higher gain amp to... the Marshall 'thing' just WORKED. So I changed it up and wanted to give a head's up.

Some guys have PM'd me or emailed me that they like this tone and wanted more detail on why I dialed it. The only real 'tweak' I did to this beyond your normal EQ, drive, sag, MV is really to drop that bright cap on the input down to the same level as it is on the Plexi2. As soon as most guys that 'knew' what they heck they were doing with the JCM800; the first thing they did is clip that bright cap. In the Axe-FX, having that 'bright' switch just does something that works, so I played with the values till I found one I liked... then noticed it's the same setting as on the Plexi2 model block. Viola.

I have to say that this preset is now my go to preset, although I added a Tube Drive.

I don't know how you came up with that cab mix but it does sound great. Very much like an amp in the room.

Keep 'em coming! You have an ear for this!!!

very nice work, thanks Scott :D

I know we wrote in another thread how settings don't suit everyone: I preferred my own Plexi 1 v8 patch to yours, which means nothing other than YMMV. But this patch in v9 is better again! I had already increased the gain to just over 8, minor changes to bass/mid/treble/pres and I'm still using some post EQ to roll off extreme highs and lows. Will mess with the sag tonight.

Thanks again ;)

GM Arts said:
very nice work, thanks Scott :D

I know we wrote in another thread how settings don't suit everyone: I preferred my own Plexi 1 v8 patch to yours, which means nothing other than YMMV. But this patch in v9 is better again! I had already increased the gain to just over 8, minor changes to bass/mid/treble/pres and I'm still using some post EQ to roll off extreme highs and lows. Will mess with the sag tonight.

Thanks again ;)

Cool - note that my settings are not the 'penultimate' by any stretch; just what works for me. I've heard lots of guys with great tones from the same amps that don't set them up anything like I do - it's all good! Thanks for sharing what you tweaked to make it better for you; that's the spirit this stuff is all posted in. Share and teach, share and learn. You guys teach me stuff constantly.

you're welcome :D I really like your Marshall cab mix!

After a heavy run of gigs, yesterday was the first chance I've had to really play with v9, other than when it was first released and I had about an hour to try it out and make some quick tweaks, or backout to v8 - I stayed with 9 and no problems at the gigs - some patches even sounded better. My Marshall patch took a step back, but your patch here put me 2 steps forward again - you gotta love this stuff :D

My favourite test for note articulation in these crunchy patches is to mess around on the bottom 3 strings with G5 (G, D, G), D (F#, D, F#) and C chords (E, C, E). Most modellers (and some tube amps even) struggle with the 3rd bass notes on those D and C inversions, but I find it's a great test note clarity, and the G5 is a good comparison, because just about anything can handle that ok. This test is really for intermodulation, but I want clear chords on my crunch patches. Some players just use 5ths so it doesn't matter so much then.

A question:

I used a preset Based 0n Scott's JCM 800 at my gig on the weekend, it sounded great for rhythm- really tight and well defined (using a Suhr S3 Pro) . In my patches I have a filter block to boost at the end of the sig chain that I use for solo's and also 2 drive blocks (various settings) before the amp block. then I can put things in and out for solo's, flavour etc.

What I found was, whilst the Rhythm sound was great, the solo sound was really thin and up high it was almost "icepicky" for me. (Not having a dig at the patch here BTW - it's great for rhythm - which I assume it was designed for).
I started to think it may be the Bright switch engaged causing this (didn't test at the gig though).

SO to the question (finally ;) Is there a way to disengage the Brt switch using an IA? so for example I could use the IA I have for the filter block to also switch the Brt Switch off? - Or do I need to create another patch for solo's ? I'd rather not cos I like the virtual pedalboard concept, rather than lots of patches.

thanks

Whoa, Scott...I like it. Even with the stock cabs (I haven't had time yet to figure out the Redwirez mixing), those are very musical, very usable settings. Very, cool.

SparkyG said:
A question:

I used a preset Based 0n Scott's JCM 800 at my gig on the weekend, it sounded great for rhythm- really tight and well defined (using a Suhr S3 Pro) . In my patches I have a filter block to boost at the end of the sig chain that I use for solo's and also 2 drive blocks (various settings) before the amp block. then I can put things in and out for solo's, flavour etc.

What I found was, whilst the Rhythm sound was great, the solo sound was really thin and up high it was almost "icepicky" for me. (Not having a dig at the patch here BTW - it's great for rhythm - which I assume it was designed for).
I started to think it may be the Bright switch engaged causing this (didn't test at the gig though).

SO to the question (finally ;) Is there a way to disengage the Brt switch using an IA? so for example I could use the IA I have for the filter block to also switch the Brt Switch off? - Or do I need to create another patch for solo's ? I'd rather not cos I like the virtual pedalboard concept, rather than lots of patches.

thanks

I don't think you can assign an IA to the Bright Switch (I could be wrong). I don't find it ice-picky at all. What sort of filters are you using for solo boost? (I am using the FET boost after the cab; works very well). What IR's are you using?

Hi Scott

For a Boost I'm using a straight filter block with only a level increase.

I did try a GEQ block to try and counter the effects of the BRT function when I got home but couldn't get it to sound like it did with the BRT disengaged.
. Do you engage the FET for Solos? and would you be so kind as to let me know the FET settings?

IR wise I used this:
BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\Marshall1960A-G12Ms\Ambient Mics\Marshall1960A-G12Ms-KM84-Room-R.wav,0.10
BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\Marshall1960A-G12Ms\Ambient Mics\Marshall1960A-G12Ms-KM84-Room-L.wav,0.10
BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\Marshall1960A-G12Ms\Royer R121\Marshall1960A-G12Ms-R121-Cone-6in.wav,0.40
BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\VoxAC30Blues\Ambient Mics\VoxAC30Blues-KM84-Room-L.wav,0.10
BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\VoxAC30Blues\Shure SM7\VoxAC30Blues-SM7-CapEdge-1in.wav,0.30

based on your's since it's my first attempt ;)

up until this gig I had been using the VoxAC30Blues-SM7-CapEdge-1in.wav but without the BRT engaged of course. and it was really nice - but not as tight as the IR above with the BRT enabled.
I can see another patch is going to be required. Meaning I have to do a lot of re-organising since I use a ground control Pro, and great as they are, re-naming patches is long winded.

All of this may have been the venue though because acoustically it was a disaster - quite tight, narrow and in a corner - Everything my bose L1 hates.

Any suggestions/tips gratefully received.

cheers

I'd wait until the FF Red Wire cabs are released; and I'd suggest perhaps rolling some top off on that filter. Is that filter block before your cab or after?

FET boost as I have it setup is nothing special; I'll get the settings once I have a chance. I just put it after the cab, which I find key.

After the gig I changed my Amp settings to the following:
This is my classic rock patch
JCM800 Model
Drive: 6.26
Bass: 3.07
Mid: 7.91
Treble: 6.65
Presence: 0.00
Depth: 1.06
Damp: 4.02
Sag: 2.01
Master Volume: 8.19
Warmth: 2.99
Thump: 2.99
Low Cut: 79.0
Bright: off
Trans Match: 5.00
Boost: Off
Power Tube Bias: 0.350
Bright Cap: 0.218

And went back to the single AC30 SM7 Capedge 1in IR
Sounds better through my Studio Monitors -

then I have a Heavy Blues Patch (think Gary Moore Walkin by Myself)
Gig settings were Settings:
JCM800 Model
Drive: 6.06
Bass: 4.72
Mid: 6.10
Treble: 3.90
Sag: 3.15
Master Volume: 9.21
Low Cut: 149
Bright: on
Bright Cap: 1uF

For the shuffles in the verses this is superbly clear and defined , but this one was really thin on the solo

SparkyG said:
After the gig I changed my Amp settings to the following:
This is my classic rock patch
JCM800 Model
Drive: 6.26
Bass: 3.07
Mid: 7.91
Treble: 6.65
Sag: 2.01
Master Volume: 8.19
Low Cut: 79.0
Bright: off
Bright Cap: 0.218

And went back to the single AC30 SM7 Capedge 1in IR
Sounds better through my Studio Monitors -

then I have a Heavy Blues Patch (think Gary Moore Walkin by Myself)
Gig settings were Settings:
JCM800 Model
Drive: 6.06
Bass: 4.72
Mid: 6.10
Treble: 3.90
Sag: 3.15
Master Volume: 9.21
Low Cut: 149
Bright: on
Bright Cap: 1uF

For the shuffles in the verses this is superbly clear and defined , but this one was really thin on the solo

Try Taking your Bright Cap on the second one down to .219uF

Scott Peterson said:
I came of age in the 80's, it's where I come from. You either had a JCM800, or you played an amp that sounded like one.

Boy, isn't that the truth? I'm going to give your settings a good try, although I don't have those IR cabs. Still, it'll be interesting to see what I get out of it. The 800 and it's derivatives in the 80's were what the whole era of Hair was about.

BTW, I had a good giggle about things like virtually modding the amp by changing the bright cap and tweaking the power tube bias. I find it quite funny that you can bias virtual tubes. And change virtual caps.

Scott Peterson said:
and I'm obsessive enough to simply find it via educated guessing and trial-and-error. That mix of IR's in the Axe-FX works for me.
I would say so. That's a fairly complex IR cocktail. I'd love to hear this tone compared to a standard (regular old single) IR or even an Axe-FX cab. If it's not too much trouble and you are willing could you post one for comparison? I've tried dialing in this tone with your specs and while it still sounds good, it doesn't sound nearly as good as what you've got. My guitar is a bit on the darker side, so that's part of it, but I'm pretty curious as to how much that wild IR cocktail you've got going on contributes to the tone.

I don't have the RedWirez IRs, but I tried these settings with the 30W 4x12 stock IR and thought it sounded great.

Back
Top Bottom