Marshall is going digital

They got there feet wet with the Marshall JMD in 2010. It had modeled pre-amps plus effects and a real tube power section. Now they are modeling the whole amp and cabs.

Even if the models are good, they are limited to Marshalls. And I doubt the effect variety, routing flexibility, and quality approach what I've come to love in the Axe-FX. The only thing I want is those knobs.

They've worked with Softube before for the JMD:1
They also have a Plexi plugin with Universal Audio.
I'll check these out (mostly out of curiosity), I liked the videos.

I don't mean to mock. It sounds pretty good. But I'm not overwhelmed with the variety of tones displayed.

Be interested to see the price point. IMO should be cheap as hell as there are so many other options out there that offer so much more.

Smart that they are throwing their hat in the ring.

If it catches on, maybe the 2nd or 3rd gen of this will be the tits?

...I'm hard pressed to see why somebody would by a Marshall-specific modeling device...
Amp makers are losing market share to digital modelers. That's a growing trend. The only way to recapture some of that market is to jump into digital themselves. And there are a lot of players who will think, "It's Marshall, dude. It has to rawk!"

TBH since I'm the FAS family member I'm not exactly a target customer for Marshall anymore and noticing the introduction of the 100% digital Marshall amp is rather acknowledging this novelty than hoping for something that replace my Axe-Fx in near/far future.

But I really wouldn't mind if Marshall, staying on this new digital course, would introduce a range of powered FRFR speakers in various sizes dedicated for digital modelers. Having an Axe-Fx roaring through a cab with Marshall logo... I could live with that :rolleyes:

All I can say is "welcome to the 2000's". They're a little late to the game, and offering nothing new it seems. Pretty underwhelmed.

Good for them though. It's always good for the game when a new player enters the arena, but they've got a ways to go before they can really compete in the digital modeling realm in my opinion.

For the second time, the first Hybrid Digital amp was the JMD-1 that they made with SofTube, this time they have collaborated again, unfortunately this new amp has a lot of NO NO's going on that makes it look not as an upgrade from the previous one IMO.

About JMD:1 - I have to say I was dissapointed when Marshall discontinued it's production... I still think it was a helluva amp for Marshall tones addicts like me. But from the "digital point of view" it had two dissadvantages - tube power section and traditional speakers. Because of that it had to be cranked to sound really good and was limited to one speaker type.

The CODE is 100% digital, so there's way more tone possibilities. Moreover - if shadoe's info about price is true, then it's rather consumer product, not dedicated for pros. So I think that many of above opinions are way exaggerated - you're looking at CODE line from AFX-user perspective. Those amps weren't designed to compete with Axe-Fx or Kemper and there's no point to compare them.

Look at them from a perspective of a young rookie guitarist who can't afford a pro modeler, but he likes Marshall tones and wants Marshall amp. What he would choose in this price range 'till now... a new DSL? Sure it's very good... but it's a tube amp, it must be cranked really loud to sound great, even with power reduction. And now comes the CODE - 100% digital, with bunch of really good modeled Marshall amps and most recognized Marshall cabs + the most important effects. And because it's pure digital, it'll sound great loud as well as in "bedroom level" mode.

That's why I'm far from opinions like "nothing special, just a few amp models and only Marshalls, there's nothing to like besides knobs". It wasn't designed for pros or high demanding freaks as we are and I'm sure the CODE line have the chance to be very popular on consumer level.

It's an entry level modeling amp...

CODE
25 WATT COMBO $199
50 WATT COMBO $249
100 WATT COMBO $399
100 WATT HEAD $349
CODE 412 $249

I wonder how flat that 412 cab really is. It could be an FRFR cab, or perhaps the head has some custom EQ curves to compensate for the response of the speakers, sort of pseudo-FRFR.

Like kavoo said, it would be pretty dope to be able to run FRFR into a Marshall cab for looks if nothing else. Especially if it's only $250.

Back
Top Bottom