Marshall DSL 100

I used to have a DSL 50. To my ears, the JVM, 800, and 800 Mod are quite different. Closest models IMO would be the Friedman HBE or maybe even the Brit Pre with some EQ'ing.

How many different sims have you tried?

Most of them -- and I always end up going back to the Friedman.

Funny thing is while researching Beck's setup I realized that most of my presets pretty much reflect his (with the exception of the higher gain channel in the DSL).

For my presets gig presets I use a combination of the Fender Twin and the Friedman BE.

I might try the HBE to see if it gets me closer to what I am looking for.

Even though he uses the ultra gain channel -- he sets the gain very low and drives both his Fenders (Twins/Vibro-Kings/jrs) with a Klon.

Klon is key to the tone.

Smilefan's Klon gets me close with the drive on the Klon set to 3 O'clock... but it is still not right

We are planning to add "People Get Ready" Live version from ronnie's with Joss Stone, and possibly "Day In the Life" to our set list. The Curtis Mayfield tune is one we will most definitely add since it fits nicely with the style of music we play. "Day In The Life" does not really fit with our set list but it could be a nice tune toward the end of the night or when someone requests a Beatles tune.

Smilefan Kon (block is attached)

Attachments

• Klon_20131123_180851.blk
    202 bytes · Views: 28
Last edited:
Every DSL 100 I have used or heard sounded different and many of them had problems. Marshall even replaced a few of them for people I know. The 2nd guitarist in one of my bands has one and it sounds amazing. I tried Tone Matching it but most of the tone is coming from the power amp & not the preamp. I can easily make the Axe-Fx II sound like the DSL 100 preamp FX send by using the BRIT PRE, BRIT JVM, BRIT 800 or FRIEDMAN but I've never been able to get it to sound like the real amp tone coming out of the speakers bc I don't know enough about Tone Matching or tweaking the power amp section. The DSL 100 I tried to Tone Match may sound totally different than the tone you're going after, so this is just my personal experience with the one I had access to. The amp has also been repaired a few times, so I'm not sure what has been changed or modded besides all the power amp tubes & 1 preamp tube being replaced.

Reactions: LVC
Somebody else posted this in another thread. It shows you exactly what LVC is talking about. You can even see the amp settings.

Thanks a lot for this video- just seeing how beck's tech sets his pickups in the cavity and whammy was a+1...

Reactions: LVC
I dont know if Jeff Beck is using the ultra gain channel.
The crunch channel on the DSL100 is excellent.
To me the achilles heel of the amp is that its either clean or crunch channel and you can't channel switch between them.

But, that should not be a problem with Scenes, right?

Not only can you change channels, you can change out amp sims between Scenes too. Si?

EDIT: LVC - don't forget to finger pick - its a huge part of Jeff's tone and note bloom.

FRO - thanks for posting the video - that bit on .009 light top - .052 heavy bottom strings to minimize pitch swell (say, on the low E string) just solved some huge problems for me on my Floyd equipped guitars! Can't thank you enough Sir! :encouragement:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom