Mark V :25 with Fx8 issue

Irfan

Inspired
Feel free to share the experiences with Mesa mark v 25 in this thread

hi, i just bought this amps, this amp is superb in 4cm methods, I've questions regards to relay option , I'm able to switch channel 1 to channel 2 with EQ from off to active , but I cannot switch to channel 1 EQ on from channel 2 EQ on ( both toggle EQ on FS mode )

hmm, i'm not sure the simple TRS connections and single Relay/single footswitch port can control the 2 channels and EQ independently.

i'd suggest choosing the EQ on or off per channel with the switches on the amp, and just changing channels with the FX8 relay.

If you want to use 1 relay, then it can only be either a channel change or EQ on/off but not both. You can't use relay 1 input and use 2 relay blocks either, well I haven't been able to get that to work.

If you want both functions on the same patch, then you will need to use a TRS at the amp end and then split that to 2 x TS cables at the FX8 end into the relay 1 and 2 sockets and the add 2 relay blocks in to the patch, if that makes sense. I use the cable that originally came with my Parker Fly and it works well.

I am happy to be corrected if someone has a better way, but this works for me.

If you want to use 1 relay, then it can only be either a channel change or EQ on/off but not both. You can't use relay 1 input and use 2 relay blocks either, well I haven't been able to get that to work.

If you want both functions on the same patch, then you will need to use a TRS at the amp end and then split that to 2 x TS cables at the FX8 end into the relay 1 and 2 sockets and the add 2 relay blocks in to the patch, if that makes sense. I use the cable that originally came with my Parker Fly and it works well.

I am happy to be corrected if someone has a better way, but this works for me.

TRS to TS/TS Y insert cable is the way to go. I can control 4 relay controls that way, and you can too!

TRS to TS/TS Y insert cable is the way to go. I can control 4 relay controls that way, and you can too!
he's going the other way though. the amp has only 1 footswitch port. i'd guess it could work that way too, depending on how the footswitch jack is designed. i would definitely contact Mesa Boogie first though.

Glad this came up. I have a Mark V 25 and noticed that with firmware 3 I can not just control turning on the eq on the amp with the relay. I could swear that I could control the eq on the amp with firmware 2. The Mesa foot switch that comes with the amp uses a TRS cable to control channel changes and turn on and off eq. Don't know why with the options of tip, ring, both on the FX8 relays that I can't control just the eq like the Mesa foot switch does.

Don't know why with the options of tip, ring, both on the FX8 relays that I can't control just the eq like the Mesa foot switch does.
I'd guess it's because there is a dedicated button for the EQ on the Mesa foot switch and it can hold its state vs a single relay trying to do 2 different things.

Did anyone else try this in firmware 2? I just was thinking that I did and it worked then.

If i could downgarde The firmware i would Happy to try this, fx8 and markV 25 is very best combination for me ( the best sounding even to axefx2) The downside is, why The relay actually can turn on the EQ from off to on and Change Channel from 1 to 2 without any problems but I couldnt do it from channel 2 to 1 with same condition , is it fault from fractal side or Mesa side ? Who knows

Glad this came up. I have a Mark V 25 and noticed that with firmware 3 I can not just control turning on the eq on the amp with the relay. I could swear that I could control the eq on the amp with firmware 2. The Mesa foot switch that comes with the amp uses a TRS cable to control channel changes and turn on and off eq. Don't know why with the options of tip, ring, both on the FX8 relays that I can't control just the eq like the Mesa foot switch does.
Any relay functions you could perform with V2.00 of the FX8, can be done with V3.00. We did not remove any of the original functionality. Please read chapter 4 and page 43 of the new FX8 manual.

It is highly possible that I could be wrong about it being able to control the eq on and off in firmware 2. I only had my FX8 about a week before the beta 3 firmware version came out and I loaded it into the unit. I did read the manual page mentioned and understand it but still don't get why if set to ''both'' it does not correctly control only the eq on the Mesa. It's not a very big deal to me actually since it can control changing the amp channels and that is what I use it for, but if it could control the eq correctly it does open up some tone possibilities with that particular amp. I am very pleased with the FX8 into my Mesa Mark 25 either way.

There is literally 4 potential combinations to use with the relays, all which the FX8 supports. Since you can only plug in 1 TRS, I imagine all 4 have a use! The rest will be your amp's setup. This does not appear to be an FX8 problem. Your amp will likely respond to all 4 states... None, Tip, Sleeve, Both. Now if your amp is setup correctly.. who knows. You are only telling us about the FX8 side... Which I can promise supports all 4 state mentioned for the relay... in version 2 and 3. There is no difference.

Had some time today to play around with the relays and my amp. Amp set on the footswitch setting on both channel switching and eq.

Tip setting relay 1 turned on will put amp in its second channel, with turning off puts me in channel 1 of the amp. No eq control.

Ring setting relay 1 can turn on and off the eq but you loose the channel switching so if you plan on staying on a single channel this is useful.

Both setting on relay 1 turned on will bring on channel 2 along with the eq. Turning off relay 1 puts you in channel 1 of the amp with no eq.

So my conclusion is that using just one relay on the FX8 cannot totally replace the amps foot switch but can provide for any of my needs. Maybe with the Y cable mentioned above you can get total control of both channel switching and eq but I am not going to need it. Should have accured to me sooner since the Mesa foot controller has two switches but it still uses a single TRS cable, sorry I am a little slow sometimes.

Had some time today to play around with the relays and my amp. Amp set on the footswitch setting on both channel switching and eq.

Tip setting relay 1 turned on will put amp in its second channel, with turning off puts me in channel 1 of the amp. No eq control.

Ring setting relay 1 can turn on and off the eq but you loose the channel switching so if you plan on staying on a single channel this is useful.

Both setting on relay 1 turned on will bring on channel 2 along with the eq. Turning off relay 1 puts you in channel 1 of the amp with no eq.

So my conclusion is that using just one relay on the FX8 cannot totally replace the amps foot switch but can provide for any of my needs. Maybe with the Y cable mentioned above you can get total control of both channel switching and eq but I am not going to need it. Should have accured to me sooner since the Mesa foot controller has two switches but it still uses a single TRS cable, sorry I am a little slow sometimes.
thanks for the detailed report. nice to know all the positions of the TRS combinations do. if only i had access to every single amp in the world... ;)

Sounds like maybe your amp is using something other than short-to-sleeve for control.

Sounds like maybe your amp is using something other than short-to-sleeve for control.
No, ive DIY myself shorter cable TRS and its behavior like the TRS cable came along with the mark V :25 package

No, ive DIY myself shorter cable TRS and its behavior like the TRS cable came along with the mark V :25 package
Sorry, I don't understand what you said.

I didn't mean that your cable was bad. I meant that the FX8's relays are intended for amps that use short-to-sleeve for their switching operations. If your amp requires something different (like short-to-ring or something else), then the relays won't work the way you'd expect.

Sorry, I don't understand what you said.

I didn't mean that your cable was bad. I meant that the FX8's relays are intended for amps that use short-to-sleeve for their switching operations. If your amp requires something different (like short-to-ring or something else), then the relays won't work the way you'd expect.

sorry i just misunderstood your statement too
the cable came along with markV25 is to long for my purpose at home, so i made my self a TRS cable more shorter, and it s operational normally with mesa footswitch, so this is common cable ,, if not mistaken there is TIP-RING-BOTH opt in relay menu, i just curious is there tricky opt beside Y cable, even mesa footswitch using only 1 cable, i believe next fractal firmware adjustment could fixed this

Back
Top Bottom