Mark Series EQ

Omri Bazelet

Inspired
So… what’s the thing with the Mark Series Eq?
As I could understand from what I actually read it’s the Key factor in shaping the tone of Mark Series amps since the knobs determine the character of the distortion and gain and the graphic EQ is adding bass, Mids and etc.

Many people say that the Graphic EQ in the AX3 isn’t as accurate since the tapers aren’t the same and the range of dB is much wider

If it totally impossible to recreate is there a way to emulate and create that taper and db range? Like with the Mid Cut in Diezels?

I couldn't find the relevant quote, but I think Cliff has said that the real graphic EQ on the Mark series has a narrower range where it actually does something because of the way the slider components work. So instead of replicating that, the EQ on Fractal works more intuitively in a more linear manner with a wider range of effect.

So if anything the Fractal Mark EQ works better so you have more control over your tone.

Rather than obsessing over this, just use the EQ to get it sounding like you prefer.

Copying actual settings verbatim from anything hasn't generally been super successful for me, so I'm not concerned about the EQ slider tapers.
That said, it's hands down my favorite EQ in the Axe, for whatever reason, even though it has far less control than graphic-style EQs with more bands, much less a full parametric.
Feels more like adjusting an amp and less like tweaking studio gear, and maybe it has some mojo too. Maybe.

Copying actual settings verbatim from anything hasn't generally been super successful for me, so I'm not concerned about the EQ slider tapers.
That said, it's hands down my favorite EQ in the Axe, for whatever reason, even though it has far less control than graphic-style EQs with more bands, much less a full parametric.
Feels more like adjusting an amp and less like tweaking studio gear, and maybe it has some mojo too. Maybe.
I think Mesa did a good job with what each slider controls, makes it easy to shape the sound where it matters. To me the main mistake on the Mark series is that it has just one graphic EQ when really it should have at least two like the JP2C you can assign to different channels. With Fractal it is of course great when you can have any variety of settings.

I think Fryette has said that they didn't want to seem like they were copying Mesa so their Pitbull Ultralead graphic EQ uses different frequencies for that reason.

Disregarding any of the technical jargon and specs, I use the Mark 5-band EQ in the EQ section of the amp block in EVERY preset I have and I set it to the "deep V" and my presets sound amazing. Sometimes I have to adjust the extreme high or low if it's too harsh or boomy, but I never worry about too much precision. It's very much like the actual 5-band EQ in that it's super easy to find the sweet spot: Just set the deep V and make small adjustments according to taste.

I get that replicating the original is a PITA but it’s also a hugely iconic feature of those amps. A lot of guys here have been seeing (and drooling over) Hetfield, Petrucci, Lamb of God, etc etc Mark EQ settings for decades. It’d be nice, though admittedly, totally unnecessary if I could cop Hetfield’s setting from 1985 and get a sound close to Hetfield’s.

I get that replicating the original is a PITA but it’s also a hugely iconic feature of those amps. A lot of guys here have been seeing (and drooling over) Hetfield, Petrucci, Lamb of God, etc etc Mark EQ settings for decades. It’d be nice, though admittedly, totally unnecessary if I could cop Hetfield’s setting from 1985 and get a sound close to Hetfield’s.
You can. Adjust the controls until it sounds correct.

As mentioned above, copying exact settings doesn't work because of a number of reasons, but primarily electronic component tolerances.

See this thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/why-your-amp-doesnt-sound-like-our-amp.172907/

Also useful:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ears-not-eyes.125212/

I believe the range on the EQ bands is the same and the overall response is very accurate to the real deal, but the tapers of the sliders are different. The real EQ sliders have to be set further from the center to get the same amount of cut or boost compared to the Fractal version, but max cut or boost should be the same as on the amp.

For anyone that has used the real amps, you know those few lines on the EQ face are not exactly useful in dialing in an exact sound. You have to use your ears either way.

Even if it was dead on modeled based on what Hetfield had back then, it would still not work because we are talking about different setups here. His live settings won't work if you are not also playing in that setting. Same for his studio settings, which are going to be a combination of settings and studio magic anyway where the recorded track and what is mixed on the album do not sound alike.

Someone else's settings can at best be a starting point that you will have to adapt to your guitar, playing style, volume and output system.

As I could understand from what I actually read it’s the Key factor in shaping the tone of Mark Series amps since the knobs determine the character of the distortion and gain and the graphic EQ is adding bass, Mids and etc.

Many people say that the Graphic EQ in the AX3 isn’t as accurate since the tapers aren’t the same and the range of dB is much wider

If it totally impossible to recreate is there a way to emulate and create that taper and db range? Like with the Mid Cut in Diezels?
fractal eq works better in matter of db range

Here’s a clip A/B’ing between my Mark IVa and the Fractal.

The GEQ sliders weren’t in identical positions, but I’m in the “ears not eyes” camp since the modeling accuracy proof is in the pudding. Start with them in similar spots and just tweak them to get the sound you want.

I believe the range on the EQ bands is the same and the overall response is very accurate to the real deal, but the tapers of the sliders are different. The real EQ sliders have to be set further from the center to get the same amount of cut or boost compared to the Fractal version, but max cut or boost should be the same as on the amp.

For anyone that has used the real amps, you know those few lines on the EQ face are not exactly useful in dialing in an exact sound. You have to use your ears either way.
Exactly.

The amp uses linear taper sliders. The ideal taper for this type of circuit is S-taper. S-taper will give you approximately linear-in-dB. The Axe-Fx III is precisely linear-in-dB.

I don't prescribe to replicating these types of circuit anomalies.

The GEQ sliders weren’t in identical positions, but I’m in the “ears not eyes” camp since the modeling accuracy proof is in the pudding. Start with them in similar spots and just tweak them to get the sound you want.

This sounds PERFECT! What IR did you use? Or I'd rather ask which YA IR did you use :) also, any chance of sharing the preset if you still have it, pretty please? :yum:

Yeah when you have both at home it’s easier, but they want it because … they don’t own the original ! (and want to copy the artist settings) … even Cooper carter ran to the wall copying petrucci’s EQ setting in the factory preset…imagine how many persons in their home « stupidly » copy the artist settings… a lot I think.

Personally I understand the wish, even if I don’t need it. This is the top of the line modeler, and having things that act like the real deal everywhere is just cool. And yeah I know every amps and knobs aren’t equal etc … but a 10% difference or a 50% difference like it is actually it’s not the same

Last edited:

I've never really been able to get these kinda sounds out of the mark series amps.
Kinda similar but I tend to end up with either too much or too less low end and sizzle.

BTW is this your LP with Thornbuckers?
Man, if that's the case that guitar confirms to be a killer instrument... Every clip I've heard of it sounds amazing!

Cool tone. Very woody.
Wood is good.

This sounds PERFECT! What IR did you use? Or I'd rather ask which YA IR did you use :) also, any chance of sharing the preset if you still have it, pretty please? :yum:
I couldn’t find the preset, which is bumming me out. 😩 I found one with a Mark IV, but the settings are definitely different than what I used on my clip. I don’t remember if the IR came from the OS or the Trad, but it’s probably Mix 01 or 57m-1. I never lost those things when I make comparisons because I never want them to feel like I’m trying to sell something… I’m just a dude excited that a modeler can actually replicate my real amps.

Yeah when you have both at home it’s easier, but they want it because … they don’t own the original ! (and want to copy the artist settings) … even Cooper carter ran into to the wall copying petrucci’s EQ setting in the factory preset…imagine how many persons in their home « stupidly » copy the artist settings… a lot I think.

Personally I understand the wish, even if I don’t need it. This is the top of the line modeler, and having things that act like the real deal everywhere is just cool. And yeah I know every amps and knobs aren’t equal etc … but a 10% difference or a 50% difference like it is actually it’s not the same
A direct 1:1 could be cool, but it’s not a big issue IMO. An amp should be dialed in for the individual player rather than trying to copy/paste amp settings since we’re all going to sound different anyway. I could mirror JP’s settings on my real amp, but it still wouldn’t sound anything like JP simply because we have different hands, guitars, and playing techniques… the same way you could send me one of your presets and we would sound very different even though we’re technically using the same amp. So even with real amps, if I matched his settings, I would still need to make adjustments to fit my guitar and playing technique.

I've never really been able to get these kinda sounds out of the mark series amps.
Kinda similar but I tend to end up with either too much or too less low end and sizzle.

BTW is this your LP with Thornbuckers?
Man, if that's the case that guitar confirms to be a killer instrument... Every clip I've heard of it sounds amazing!
The key is to keep the Bass low around zero-4 depending on how spongy you like your feel. Keep Middle between zero-3, and crank Treble to around 9. Presence to taste, but I like it on the higher side. Start with both gain knobs around 7 and go from there. I tend to like Overdrive between 7-8 and use Gain as the overall gain control.

With the GEQ, add some 80Hz for the low end, and view 240Hz almost like a midrange fader. I keep mine boosted on the amp and the model. 750Hz is THE control to spend your time on. Too much and it gets honky, too little and it sounds like a Boss Metal Zone. 2200Hz adds more upper mids, and once that feels good, set the 6600Hz wherever it gives you the top end you want. Don’t be afraid to keep it flat or cut it if you’ve got aggressive Treble and Presence settings on the amp.

And yup, the guitar was my Les Paul with Thornbucker+ pickups. I friggen love that guitar.

Wood is good.
Glitter Sparkle GIF

@York Audio I will rephrase. this request is made by people who don't have the amps (not me). someone who buys an axe fx and ends up with amps that he always wanted, he is a fan of metallica, dream theater doesn’t matter, what is he going to do? He will try the artist settings. who has never done this? since the axe is supposed to be the most faithful and high-end current modeler, when it puts itself on the "mark eq", it works like the original in his mind. it's written on it as well. I don't speak for myself, I know that it is a little bit « useless » and that you need to refine a little bit with your gear and fingers . But when you have all the gear and settings from your artist, you just have to practice to do the rest. It helps being in the ball park. If you are a nirvana fan, buy a mustang a small clone a poly chorus etc . what you will do will sound way close to his original tone

Last edited:

Which Fractal amp is that specifically?

Back
Top Bottom