Mark Knopfler Tone

krcassid

Inspired
I have only recently realized how truly great this guy's playing/ tone is (only took me 40 years!). Can any of you guys tell me where to start to try to replicate? I am particularly in love with his tone in this version of Brother's In Arms:

I've read that he used a Les Paul on this. But, any clues as to amps/ settings/FX/ cabs? I've always been a "Gilmore guy" but this is crazy good tone. Clearly he is pushing that amp very hard to get that sustain and "edge of feedback" tone. I'd love any clues as t how might be able to get close on the Axe III.

Thx!

^ Not sure how that thread is supposed to help as it's clearly a recreation of his Strat based sound from Sultans and doesn't sound like BiA at all...

Anyways the secret to that track is a Les Paul into a JTM45, with Knopfler's hands. Two of three should be easy enough, the last one is up to you. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/knopfler-bros-in-arms-tone.779909/

I followed that rabbit hole and it appears as though John Suhr posting as Husky? says the BiA amp was a Jim Kelley FACS?

I’ve been trying to get close to his tone for the past 20 years. I have not done so but, I have really become a much better player. Learning to do his volume swells, his tone controls and working hard on how he uses his fingers has made a monumental difference in my skill set. I absolutely love his work. Go back and look at some of his early work and you can really find some amazing things.

A little off topic, but I just wanted to add what an amazing job the guy mastering this album did. It was one of the first DDD mastered CDs, and in my mind, is perfect. When I was developing audio equipment for a living, it was my gold standard CD. So clean, and any anomaly I generated in the audio would show through.

Knopfler's tone, feel and phrasing - he's a guitar god. Nice job Cooper - pretty darn close. I started learning how to pick with my fingers and darn, after 3 days my fingers were hurting like hell.

Back
Top Bottom