Marix NL12 review.

LVC - Are you no longer using your Q12 FRFR? It seems like you have gone over the N12's exclusively. I have the passive CFR 12 and it sound great at low volume, but cannot get great sound at rehearsal or gig volume. Curious as to why you switched, as you had previously raved about the Q!2.

that is correct. Personally I feel the Q12 powered by the GT1000FX was the best FRFR I played. Period -- end of story as far as I am concerned. If the NL12 had not come along I would still be playing the Q12.

However at the end of the day I don't want a "miked" guitar tone no matter how good it sounds -- I prefer a real cab. It is a personal preference and no slag on the FRFR guys. I have played tube amps all of my life and it is a different experience playing a real cab driven by an amp vs a monitor.

Apples vs Oranges

No one on this board that has real experience with quality tube amps and cabs will argue that.

The NL12 was a game changer and eye opener with respect to the Axe-FX for me. It has taken my playing and tone with the Axe-FX to another level.

I feel more comfortable dialing in and playing through a real cab and the NL12 sounds and feels awesome!!!!

Again .. it is a personal preference.

Last edited:
Vold you take a snapshot?

How about when running stereo with 2 signals from the amp into two cabs how do you then set up the loop?
Not sure how to do a screen shot so I took a photo. Here is a typical patch, the IR treated signal goes to Output 1 (stereo) on the Axe II, the FX loop block sends the non IR treated signal to the FX output(stereo). From there you can use a non IR treated signal for a stage cab and send a IR treated signal to FOH, there are a lot of different combinations of monitoring to choose.
8yfc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LVC
Are you sure, I thought on macs, it was ctrl-shift-alt gr-cmd and then press P and R at the same time, while pressing the mouse button three times.

No wait, sorry, maybe that was to get the "@" symbol. :lol
'
( I only mention it because of having to use imacs, with a swiss-german keyboard for too many years, where the "@" was hidden deep in the keystrokes )

that is correct. Personally I feel the Q12 powered by the GT1000FX was the best FRFR I played. Period -- end of story as far as I am concerned. If the NL12 had not come along I would still be playing the Q12.

However at the end of the day I don't want a "miked" guitar tone no matter how good it sounds -- I prefer a real cab. It is a personal preference and no slag on the FRFR guys. I have played tube amps all of my life and it is a different experience playing a real cab driven by an amp vs a monitor.

Apples vs Oranges

No one on this board that has real experience with quality tube amps and cabs will argue that.

The NL12 was a game changer and eye opener with respect to the Axe-FX for me. It has taken my playing and tone with the Axe-FX to another level.

I feel more comfortable dialing in and playing through a real cab and the NL12 sounds and feels awesome!!!!

Again .. it is a personal preference.

How is the output level? Can it hold its own with a loud drummer?

When you play live do you mic it or still run OUT-1 to FOH with an IR? My problem is finding an IR that comes close to sounding like a cab when I try to use a guitar cab in conjunction with an IR to FOH.

Thoughts?

How is the output level? Can it hold its own with a loud drummer?

When you play live do you mic it or still run OUT-1 to FOH with an IR? My problem is finding an IR that comes close to sounding like a cab when I try to use a guitar cab in conjunction with an IR to FOH.

Thoughts?

When I play live I do not go through fOH.

Volume is NOT a problem. The NL12s are beasts - loud, clean and clear!

Next year I might have to go FOH on a couple of wedding dates -- hoping Matrix or someone else makes good IRs of the NL12s for that very purpose (NL12 backline plus FOH)

I juuuuust bought the nl212!

I Will make a thread, answer questions, make videos and answer more question. You gotta need some sleep LVC. Good thing I live in Denmark; I can take over when you sleep! ;)

I Will make a thread, answer questions, make videos and answer more question. You gotta need some sleep LVC. Good thing I live in Denmark; I can take over when you sleep! ;)

Awesome and congrats! Patiently waiting for your review.

I've got a feeling you're going to love it. I'm ordering another NL12 in the next couple of days, get one ready to ship Robin!

Ian currently writing the final project at my high school, so I need something to noodle with. You can understand that ;)

When I play live I do not go through fOH. Volume is NOT a problem. The NL12s are beasts - loud, clean and clear! Next year I might have to go FOH on a couple of wedding dates -- hoping Matrix or someone else makes good IRs of the NL12s for that very purpose (NL12 backline plus FOH)

You could just mic the NL if you had too, but I would use some Ownhammer IR's. When going through a PA, those IR's sound damn good.

You could just mic the NL if you had too, but I would use some Ownhammer IR's. When going through a PA, those IR's sound damn good.

If and when I do go FOH I really want to be the same as my NL12. Frankly I have yet to play an IR that sounds as good to me as that cab (regardless of amp sim).

In all fairness to OH, I do not own any of his IRs.

LVC,

I read in one of your posts that you were using IR's with your NL12.
Is this still the case or are you just using the tone from the cab and not messing with IR's?

LVC,

I read in one of your posts that you were using IR's with your NL12.
Is this still the case or are you just using the tone from the cab and not messing with IR's?

In the beginning before the NL12s broke in I did.

Hardly any more

I would say that 90% at home without cab sims. 100% at gigs without the cab sims.

It does not need it.

I personally like them better now without sims.

Also because I gig with them -- I tend to keep things consistent at home/gigs.

Off to a gig.

Plan on using my new Gibson CS336 with a pair of NL12 cabs tonight :mrgreen

IMG_0663_zps88e73772.jpg

Last edited:
The Gibson CS336 sounded crazy good last night through my rig. Again, I find myself hitting another level with the Axe-FX. The touch sensitivity of the AXE/Matrix amp/NL12 with the CS336 was equal to my experience my Bludotone amps (and that says a lot in my book) with the dumble patch. You can feel the power in your finger tips. It is as if the amp wanted to explode. You could literally stay on that one patch all night if you wanted to and control 100% of you tone/gain with just your attack and pickup selection.

Back
Top Bottom