Marix NL12 review.

supersonic

Inspired
I played through my newly acquired N12 speaker at band rehearsal last night and am reporting in for my initial thoughts.
WOW! This little box is so light and small, I'm not sure how it works but this little box sounds huge. My current set up has been Axe II, Matrix Gt800fx, into a CFR (FRFR) foldback speaker and a Marshall AX (GB) quad as a back line, in stereo (FB and Quad). I've tried to go the FRFR speaker alone but it just doesn't feel right to me, I still need that traditional cab flapping my trouser legs. Now this is coming from a guy that has used a quad box for the last 30 years.

The first thing I noticed with the NL12 is that it has a wide dispersion, it doesn't "Beam" like a traditional cab, even though it is a closed back it fills the room like an open back cab. It does have a bass port at the lower front which obviously works to disperse the sound as well as producing thunderous bass. This meant I could just sit the NL12 on the floor and not have to put it up on a chair to hear it.

The second thing I noticed is that there are no frequencies which stand out like you get with a traditional cab, everything is even, the bass is tight , the mids are punchy and the highs cutting but not harsh or shrill. This speaker does not color your tone, it was hard to get my head around this when I was shopping for it, but hearing is believing. It does not add breakup either , like my GB cab which part of it's appeal to me is the speaker break up. I'm not talking speaker cry at loud volume, just moderate or even low volume.

The third thing I noticed is that it loud enough to play in a rock band, this little sucker pumps. I was noodling around at rehearsal last night, I had the NL12 sitting on the floor next to my quad which was NOT connected, the drummer was a last to arrive, after playing a couple of songs I pointed the NL out, he could not believe how good it sounded he thought I was playing through the quad box.
The last thing I noticed was the clarity I was getting from the speaker, all of the notes are clean and clear even with gobs of overdrive. Chords ring out with notes separation, power and authority. Cleans are pristine, OD grinds.

I don't know how Matrix put so much into something so small but I like it, I like it a lot, I like it more than my quad, this little box is staying, my quad is going!

Great review and I agree 100%. I am simply amazing how good that 17 pound cab sounds. You are right about it being neutral, it just sounds great with every amp sim I have thrown at it. It soundly equally as great at home at low volume or at a gig with a full band.

The other thing I found was how easy it was to dial in a patch with the NL12. I just dial my axe in like it was a real amp with a pedalboard. It has made life much easier.

I played through my newly acquired N12 speaker at band rehearsal last night and am reporting in for my initial thoughts.
WOW! This little box is so light and small, I'm not sure how it works but this little box sounds huge. My current set up has been Axe II, Matrix Gt800fx, into a CFR (FRFR) foldback speaker and a Marshall AX (GB) quad as a back line, in stereo (FB and Quad). I've tried to go the FRFR speaker alone but it just doesn't feel right to me, I still need that traditional cab flapping my trouser legs. Now this is coming from a guy that has used a quad box for the last 30 years.

The first thing I noticed with the NL12 is that it has a wide dispersion, it doesn't "Beam" like a traditional cab, even though it is a closed back it fills the room like an open back cab. It does have a bass port at the lower front which obviously works to disperse the sound as well as producing thunderous bass. This meant I could just sit the NL12 on the floor and not have to put it up on a chair to hear it.

The second thing I noticed is that there are no frequencies which stand out like you get with a traditional cab, everything is even, the bass is tight , the mids are punchy and the highs cutting but not harsh or shrill. This speaker does not color your tone, it was hard to get my head around this when I was shopping for it, but hearing is believing. It does not add breakup either , like my GB cab which part of it's appeal to me is the speaker break up. I'm not talking speaker cry at loud volume, just moderate or even low volume.

The third thing I noticed is that it loud enough to play in a rock band, this little sucker pumps. I was noodling around at rehearsal last night, I had the NL12 sitting on the floor next to my quad which was NOT connected, the drummer was a last to arrive, after playing a couple of songs I pointed the NL out, he could not believe how good it sounded he thought I was playing through the quad box.
The last thing I noticed was the clarity I was getting from the speaker, all of the notes are clean and clear even with gobs of overdrive. Chords ring out with notes separation, power and authority. Cleans are pristine, OD grinds.

I don't know how Matrix put so much into something so small but I like it, I like it a lot, I like it more than my quad, this little box is staying, my quad is going!

Nice!!!

What kind of music do you play? What type of guitar(s)?

Nice!!!

What kind of music do you play? What type of guitar(s)?
I play Classic Rock in a cover band. The Who, Chilli Peppers, Fleetwood Mac, Guns a Roses, The Police, Van Halen etc, I need to cover a lot of tones which is why the Axe II is so usefull to me. I mainly play a Tom Anderson Classic Drop Top HSS Alder with a Maple top as well as a Les Paul Classic. Both guitars sound stellar through this cab. I do not use different patches/settings for different guitars FWIW.

Nice to hear this! I'm gonna buy one of the available solutions soon. I talked with matrix, though, who recommended me the fr212? I play mostly metal.

So you don't worry about IR's? You just plug and play? Which poweramp are you using? Would a nl212 be a better fit for loud metal? :)

Nice to hear this! I'm gonna buy one of the available solutions soon. I talked with matrix, though, who recommended me the fr212? I play mostly metal.

So you don't worry about IR's? You just plug and play? Which poweramp are you using? Would a nl212 be a better fit for loud metal? :)
Oh yeah I use IRs', but not through the NL12 I haven't tried them through it yet. I have a Matrix GT800FX power amp, I send my IRs's through one channel to a CFR foldback which faces me like a conventional foldback. This is the same signal the desk recieves. Then I am running the NL12 behind me like a conventional cab. If I was running the back line only I would go for 2x NL12s' and run stereo, and have the option to run one only at home or small gigs. I wouldn't have any need for 2x NL212s' as I don't need that much fire power, I haven't tried them either so I'm not the best person to comment.

So you would og for two 12's? I see the use of being able to take one back home and play/creating patches and then take it with me to rehearsal :)

Thank you for your review. I was sitting on a fence until now. I was a little worried about possible conical, beaming sound dispersion, but after reading this I made a decision and ordered a NL212 cap. After receiving it I probably won't be connecting to our crappy FOH anymore, but will use the new cab combined with my CFR wedge, best of both worlds. I believe with my Matrix GT1000 I will be heard loud enough, when my guitar has something to say :D

I play Classic Rock in a cover band. The Who, Chilli Peppers, Fleetwood Mac, Guns a Roses, The Police, Van Halen etc, I need to cover a lot of tones which is why the Axe II is so usefull to me. I mainly play a Tom Anderson Classic Drop Top HSS Alder with a Maple top as well as a Les Paul Classic. Both guitars sound stellar through this cab. I do not use different patches/settings for different guitars FWIW.

Cool, sounds like your tones are right up my alley... further igniting the GAS flame....

For those tones, however, I'm curious more about the "sound" when comparing the NL to your GB cabinet. Considering the tones your after, the GB's seem like the perfect speaker.... I understand the NL cabinet design has some benefit (dispersion, bass etc.), but as for pure "tone" does the NL cab sound "better" in your opinion than your GB loaded cabinet? Or, does it simply sound "different"? I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that traditional guitar speakers which have been part of "that sound" that defined *most* of those artists you listed for 40 years is 'possibly' being upstaged by this Celestion Neo mag speaker (and the magnificent NL design)? Perhaps it's simply that when using a modeler vs. a real tube amp, this NL cab sounds better? I know Tonic still prefers his traditional cabs with his tube amps...

anyways, I'm kind of thinking out loud here, and I hope I don't sound like I'm ranting.... I'm just trying to get an idea of what to think of this Neo equipped NL cabinet vs. the tried and true GB/V30 loaded cabs etc. etc....

The good news, is my buddy is about to take delivery on one of these soon so I'll get to hear it first hand.... In the meantime, trying to get as much perspective as I can get. I have a feeling once I hear it in person, I too will be sold....

So you would og for two 12's? I see the use of being able to take one back home and play/creating patches and then take it with me to rehearsal :)

I have 2. Depending on the gig ... I either use one or two in stereo. I am telling you my tone has never sounded better. No tweaking required -- just dial in your Axe-Fx like you would a regular amp.

file_zps74476d71.jpg

IMG_0640_zpscd49d908.jpg

Where'd you get the cool rack case with the Fractal logo?

Fractal Sticker that came with the Axe-FX.

It should be part of the "box" candy when you receive a new unit (at least it use to be).

Last edited:
nice review, I'm thinking about getting a pair of them.

I have one question, open for anyone to answer...

If I'm using a stereo pair of NL12's as my monitors/backline, and have the direct stereo outs going to the PA, won't it be tricky getting the same sound coming out of each system?

thanks

Cool, sounds like your tones are right up my alley... further igniting the GAS flame....

For those tones, however, I'm curious more about the "sound" when comparing the NL to your GB cabinet. Considering the tones your after, the GB's seem like the perfect speaker.... I understand the NL cabinet design has some benefit (dispersion, bass etc.), but as for pure "tone" does the NL cab sound "better" in your opinion than your GB loaded cabinet? Or, does it simply sound "different"? I'm still trying to get my head around the fact that traditional guitar speakers which have been part of "that sound" that defined *most* of those artists you listed for 40 years is 'possibly' being upstaged by this Celestion Neo mag speaker (and the magnificent NL design)? Perhaps it's simply that when using a modeler vs. a real tube amp, this NL cab sounds better? I know Tonic still prefers his traditional cabs with his tube amps...

anyways, I'm kind of thinking out loud here, and I hope I don't sound like I'm ranting.... I'm just trying to get an idea of what to think of this Neo equipped NL cabinet vs. the tried and true GB/V30 loaded cabs etc. etc....

The good news, is my buddy is about to take delivery on one of these soon so I'll get to hear it first hand.... In the meantime, trying to get as much perspective as I can get. I have a feeling once I hear it in person, I too will be sold....
I think because the NL12 has been designed to work specifically with the Axe II has a lot to do with this combo sounding so good. I did mention earlier that I was trying to get my head around this before I bought the NL12. After hearing it for myself the best way for me to describe it is that the NL12 sounds like a studio recorded guitar tone coming out of the speaker crossed with a guitar cab in the room with no "Beaming". Forget what you know about guitar cabs, it doesn't apply and don't over think it because it doesn't make sense, how can such a small cab sound so good? Anyway I'm still a noob with the NL12 I still need to get some gig time up on it , but first impressions have been very impressive. Oh I have failed to mention how it makes the strings feel under your fingers. The response and feel is outstanding, where the GB cab is a little loose and lazy the NL12 is clean and cutting and has a much better feel.

Reactions: LVC
If I'm using a stereo pair of NL12's as my monitors/backline, and have the direct stereo outs going to the PA, won't it be tricky getting the same sound coming out of each system?

thanks

I'm using the NL cabs for monitoring only and my main sound goes to the PA.
I always tweak my sound on studio monitors and the sound is really good with the NL cabs too.
It sounds different of course but without IR it's really easier to tweak and you have the Global EQ for your NL cabs.

I see these are listed as 60 watts. How does it hold up to the GT800 FX? Are you able to crank it up without fear of blowing the NL12?

I see these are listed as 60 watts. How does it hold up to the GT800 FX? Are you able to crank it up without fear of blowing the NL12?

I use mine with the GT1000Fx and have cranked them to paint pealing levels.

No "Boom" or smoke yet ...:lol

Nice review. I am getting kind of GASsy here. I am currently a Gen 1 Axe-fx user and am gigging with the following backline: QSC K12 on floor and FBT 12 ma up off the floor on an amp stand. Thinking about changing things up and going with the Matrix GT1000 and a couple NL12's or a single CLR (don't know if I can swing 2). What do you suppose the volume level/potential is using the 2 NL12's or 1 CLR vs. my current set-up? I like/need my headroom.

OR should I keep the QSC and FBT for now and change to the Axe 2? Decisions decisions...

What do you suppose the volume level/potential is using the 2 NL12's or 1 CLR vs. my current set-up? I like/need my headroom.

I have owned and gigged with the following powered monitors: JBL EON, FBT and CLR.

IMO it is really not an appropriate comparison.

Apples to oranges.

Take all the headroom you think you will ever need and raise it to the second power.

You are talking about one of the most powerful and best made amps designed to be used with the Axe driving a couple of very efficient speakers.

No contest. Nl12 by a very wide distance against pretty much all of the most talked about powered FRFR solutions. It also stays clean and noise free even at extreme volumes. There is no floor noise like you get with some powered monitors when you crank them.

Last edited:
Oh my!!

I have owned and gigged with the following powered monitors: JBL EON, FBT and CLR.

IMO it is really not an appropriate comparison.

Apples to oranges.

Take all the headroom you think you will ever need and raise it to the second power.

You are talking about one of the most powerful and best made amps designed to be used with the Axe driving a couple of very efficient speakers.

No contest. Nl12 by a very wide distance against pretty much all of the most talked about powered FRFR solutions. It also stays clean and noise free even at extreme volumes. There is no floor noise like you get with some powered monitors when you crank them.

Back
Top Bottom