Marix NL12 review.

Sounds like right up my alley. I like to dial in my core tones and forget. But those core tones need to kick ass, and I like my backline to thump and kick me in the ass. hehe. The FRFR has been great, but I have been struggling with it as of late. My only concern with changing away from FRFR will be whether I will be delivering a good tone to the PA without using cab sims. I guess micing the NL12 is an option...no?

Sounds like right up my alley. I like to dial in my core tones and forget. But those core tones need to kick ass, and I like my backline to thump and kick me in the ass. hehe. The FRFR has been great, but I have been struggling with it as of late. My only concern with changing away from FRFR will be whether I will be delivering a good tone to the PA without using cab sims. I guess micing the NL12 is an option...no?

Honestly I don't mike or go FOH with my band. We just use the PA for vocals and so far it has worked out fine for us..

I think Semih uses the NL12 as a back line and goes through FOH as well. Maybe he can chime in on this one.

Last edited:
U cam use IRs of NL12, i made some with 2 differenf mics, still working on them, will share soon.

Reactions: LVC
My only concern with changing away from FRFR will be whether I will be delivering a good tone to the PA without using cab sims. I guess micing the NL12 is an option...no?

Not necessarily.... you would still send output 1 to FOH with CAB sims ON in their full FRFR glory. Then you would use output 2 to send to your NL cabs with NO CAB sims. Or, you can leave cab sims on for your NL's, but there are mixed opinions about leaving CAB sims on for the NL's.

I think because the NL12 has been designed to work specifically with the Axe II has a lot to do with this combo sounding so good. I did mention earlier that I was trying to get my head around this before I bought the NL12. After hearing it for myself the best way for me to describe it is that the NL12 sounds like a studio recorded guitar tone coming out of the speaker crossed with a guitar cab in the room with no "Beaming". Forget what you know about guitar cabs, it doesn't apply and don't over think it because it doesn't make sense, how can such a small cab sound so good? Anyway I'm still a noob with the NL12 I still need to get some gig time up on it , but first impressions have been very impressive. Oh I have failed to mention how it makes the strings feel under your fingers. The response and feel is outstanding, where the GB cab is a little loose and lazy the NL12 is clean and cutting and has a much better feel.

Thanks for the response.... yeah, I kind of have a feeling this is working so well simply because it's getting it's feed from a modeling device, and it was designed for this specifically....

Thanks for the response.... yeah, I kind of have a feeling this is working so well simply because it's getting it's feed from a modeling device, and it was designed for this specifically....

yep -- I just downloaded simeon's syth patches ( Moog superLead, and GR-300) from his controller video demo and they sounds awesome through my NL12 cabs.

PS: You have to watch simeon's video. It opened my eyes to a whole new world of possibilities.

Scary ... this stuff is actually starting to make some sense to me :lol

Last edited:
I see these are listed as 60 watts. How does it hold up to the GT800 FX? Are you able to crank it up without fear of blowing the NL12?
From the NL12 manual.
SS- recommended max power 120w @ 8 ohm
Valve- recommended max power 60w @ 8 ohm

The Matrix website recommends using a 16 ohm version to match their power amps.
The GT800FX produces 125w @ 16 ohm.

So in summary using a NL12 combined with a GT800FX is equivalent to using a 60 valve amp per channel.

Just picked up this gal yesterday - Gibson CS336.

Man does she sound good through the NL12s

IMG_0663_zps88e73772.jpg

LVC - I think it's time for a nice video demo of your new Gibson with those NL's and some sweet clean tones!!!

Reactions: LVC
Do you lose any low end by having the NL12's off the floor?

Nope.

They sound great.

I gig with them on the stands like you see in the picture. No magic EQ settings or advanced tweaking required. Nothing. I just dial the Axe in like a real amp. End of story.

LVC - I think it's time for a nice video demo of your new Gibson with those NL's and some sweet clean tones!!!

I try and do something this sat. It just kills. I can't wait until next week (12/13) -- I plan on using her at my gig.

Are you guys using these cabs with or without cab IRs? Does it still sound good using the presets you've designed with cab IRs, or do you have to start all over and design all new presets without IRs if you use the NL12s?

Are you guys using these cabs with or without cab IRs? Does it still sound good using the presets you've designed with cab IRs, or do you have to start all over and design all new presets without IRs if you use the NL12s?
I'm not using IRs' through my NL12, haven't even tried them. I send a signal out via the loop before the cab block. This cab is kicking serious but!

I'm not using IRs' through my NL12, haven't even tried them. I send a signal out via the loop before the cab block. This cab is kicking serious but!

Vold you take a snapshot?

How about when running stereo with 2 signals from the amp into two cabs how do you then set up the loop?

Same presets -- All you need to do is some basic EQ tweaks to the amp like you would to a real amp. You will find using the Axe-FX with the NL12 to be the same as using and dialing in a real tube amp with a real cab. It is really easy -- no advance tweaks or magic eq settings, or finding the right chair or corner of the room to place you expensive FRFR monitor :lol

You just dial the Axe in like a real amp.

Regarding cab sims ... to me it sounds it sounds much better without the cab sims. Actually it sounds better than any cab/IR I have tried in the AXE with a FRFR monitor.

that being said, you can still use IRs (don't know why you would after you listen and use it for a while without). When you add the cab block it adds a different flavor (coloring) to cab and it sounds good to me. Personally I prefer no cab sims at home and at gigs.

Last edited:
I am amazed on how good the CS336 sounds with the Axe and the NL12s.

You can go from smooth jazz, to R&B to rock without breaking a sweat.

Depending how you dial in the pickups in the mid position you can almost get a nice tele tone out of it as well.

Damn that is sweet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LVC - Are you no longer using your Q12 FRFR? It seems like you have gone over the N12's exclusively. I have the passive CFR 12 and it sound great at low volume, but cannot get great sound at rehearsal or gig volume. Curious as to why you switched, as you had previously raved about the Q!2.

Back
Top Bottom