Marc Cooper plays Bonamassa track Dislocated Boy for Blues Master contest

jsletner

Experienced
Fellow forumite Marc Cooper "coopdevill" plays Joe Bonamassa's "Dislocated Boy" for the Blues Master contest on his signature Brian Moore guitar. All sounds both acoustic and electric are coming from the Axe.

Marc's a great player and great guy.

Be sure to give him a like on youtube to help him along.

Originally Posted by musicianof1:
Stunning. Where on earth do we get that acoustic patch?
He's using an Ultra with some custom IRs.

I'm meeting with him this week. I'll see if he'll give it up.

Just to be clear, he's using a piezo pickup, right? That acoustic tone is incredible, and I don't want to get my hopes up thinking I could get that sound with just a custom IR.

This page indicates that his signature guitar does indeed have a piezo pickup. My guess is that he's using a stereo TRS cable with the tip and sleeve being magnetic and piezo outputs, and using Ultra patches that use either the L or R stereo input. This would explain why, in the video, Marc doesn't seem to change any selectors on the guitar in between acoustic and solo sections (see 2:20), only stomping a preset change on his foot controller.

Thanks for posting; the song, tones, and video are great!

You are correct regarding the Piezo pickup and stereo TRS cable. I don't know about the recording but when he plays live he uses expression pedals to change the balance and blend from acoustic to electric. He also runs an Axon guitar synth which he blends sounds in with another expression pedal. He controls patches with a Liquid Foot. The range of sounds he gets is enormous.

Finally he runs his whole rig through a Crown amp and 2 AccuGroove Tri112s. I use the same rig as can be seen in my signature. I believe that the AccuGroove speakers are the best possible FRFR solution that exists. They are full range but they never sound ice-picky like so many monitoring systems do. The AccuGrooves are always natural sounding. Marc also runs his vocals through the Crown/AccuGroove setup when he plays solo gigs.

I'm still working on him to give up the patch. He's terribly busy with a guitar accessory and I'm not sure I'm allowed to talk about it, but I know he downloaded the acoustic IRs off the internet. I believe it was either off this forum or off the site that used to host Axe patches. Get yourself a Piezo equipped guitar and find those IRs and you'll be able to create that sound. I have friends that want an AxeFx just so they can have the acoustic sounds Marc is getting.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom