Man Cave/Studio ...from the ground up!!

Again, I don't have anything to say against your first source, or that one can work around room resonances.

The thing I wanted to point out about your original post is the notion that you can avoid resonances with non-parallel walls, or that you can avoid resonant frequencies by shifting it by any significant measure. That's a common misconception, but not true. That's all I wanted to point out.

Here's an example photo for good measure. Modes still exist, just unpredictably so.
MasterHandbookOfAcoustics_Modes_pg283.jpg

Angled walls are good to create reflection-free-zones for mixing.

Not sure what the OP is looking for (jam room versus fine-tuned mix room).

Angled walls are good to create reflection-free-zones for mixing.

Not sure what the OP is looking for (jam room versus fine-tuned mix room).

Jam cave. I’ll use it as my retreat as much as a jam room. All of these ideas are great! Not sure how I’d go about elevating the floor besides building one on top and stuffing the voids with absorbent foam. My concern would be deterioration over time to that material. Maybe tennis balls and styrofoam beans. Then a porous plywood, thick padding and carpet?

Jam cave. I’ll use it as my retreat as much as a jam room.

Will you have a live drummer and blaring 100W Marshall? Then you may want to spend some time building up the mass of the walls:

http://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG_...hed_assets/acoustical-assemblies-en-SA200.pdf

If it is just you and your Axe playing through monitors and/or FRFR, you are probably good with standard insulation and drywall (saving your money and time for new gear).

All of these ideas are great! Not sure how I’d go about elevating the floor besides building one on top and stuffing the voids with absorbent foam. My concern would be deterioration over time to that material. Maybe tennis balls and styrofoam beans. Then a porous plywood, thick padding and carpet?

Sorry to say it, but the plan above sounds frightening. The sound transmitting through the floor travels into the garage, right? I'd say insulation and drywall in the garage ceiling, and then some carpeting with a nice pad upstairs.

The fluorescent has to go. That's ground hum waiting to happen.View attachment 46982

Hmm, that reminded me of the electrical interference that I have been battling. Suggestion - get yourself a cheap AM/FM radio. Set it to AM and an unused channel (static). Turn it up and walk around the space aiming it in different directions. If you get a significant spike, try to figure out what is causing it (it could be outside).

I found that the transformer in our back yard is generating a ton of EMI.

If you find something similar, you can combat it with metallic paint and/or steel sheets between layers of drywall. I can get the specs on the paint and sheets that are being used in my new space. It'll be pretty much a faraday cage when they are done ;)

Light switches with dimmers are also a common source, so I'd avoid those in the man cave. Or, get expensive constant-current LED dimmers instead of cheap PWM dimmers (Lutron makes them). Note that PWM dimmers in other rooms in the house create line noise that travels to other locations.

A tangential topic, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has battled dimmer noise and won!

I could actually get it framed with aluminum inside the wall space to provide an air gap, plus the aluminum framing is cheap.
Watch out for damping the aluminum vibrations, otherwise you will gain a plate reverb all around the room. I had the same problem when we adapted an underground storage room to rehearsal room.

I will say this and then no more. One needs to keep in mind your purpose. There are a LOT of evangelical studio/music room builders who just might go overboard in telling you what will work, what won't work and what will have disastrous results. You can also spend a fortune on small incremental changes, or not. A music room is a music room. I've played music in all kinds of rooms my whole life. They ALL work in one way or another. I've also recorded and engineered in all kinds of rooms. Soom soundproofed, some not. Some acoustically treated, most not. What I'm doing is a big experiment, some would say. But I'm keeping perspective in mind. I used aluminium resilient channel (sp) between the two layers of drywall. I understand the frequency issue. We'll see. But I've seen SO MANY passionate, angered posts about this. You didn't see this 10 years ago. This phenomenon is relatively new. I was laughing about this with other studio owners/builders this past week. It's like seatbelts in cars. None of us used those as kids, or helmets on bikes, yet we survived.

There's also a money pit, sink hole. Learn what you can and build it.

Reactions: Rex
Homosote is the answer! :) Well partly, it's a great soundproofing material. Cost is 25 to 30 bucks a 4x8 sheet, but you also need the metal strips that disconnect it from the 2x4's, then it's covered with drywall. Gets a little expensive, and I've only seen it at Menards, so if you don't live in the midwest it may be hard to find. It's also very dusty when it sawn. Anyway, that's my 2 cents. You could also use 2'x4'x 4 inch heavy insulation panels placed on the walls with about 1 to 2 inches away from the walls around the room in several spots. You'd need to cover them with something, my friend used some large garbage bags and then covered that with fabric made special for the panels. He found them on the web somewhere..o_O It's not too much work, depending on how many you make. He used them to surround a 412 while recording and you could hardly hear it all with a cranked Marshall. Then his basement flooded, ruining most of the panels, so he put them in his studio on the walls. Then, the AXE FX ULTRA came out and it was over. ;) and the Marshall and 412 were gone.

My advice, don't go too nuts with it and stay within your budget. Remember, nothing is forever. I insulated and soundproofed my garage and them suddenly had to move out when I was about 80% done! But then I found a new house, with cool neighbors :), (can't begin to tell ya how helpful that was) and a 20 by 22 room with a 15 foot peaked ceiling already finished. It was nice.

Aw geez I just realized there's two more pages I haven't read in this post! We men love our caves, and even more watching someone else build one and give them advice. It's kinda like barbecuing. ;)

Good luck with everything Bman, and congrats on the new house. :)

I will say this and then no more. One needs to keep in mind your purpose. There are a LOT of evangelical studio/music room builders who just might go overboard in telling you what will work, what won't work and what will have disastrous results. You can also spend a fortune on small incremental changes, or not. A music room is a music room. I've played music in all kinds of rooms my whole life. They ALL work in one way or another. I've also recorded and engineered in all kinds of rooms. Soom soundproofed, some not. Some acoustically treated, most not. What I'm doing is a big experiment, some would say. But I'm keeping perspective in mind. I used aluminium resilient channel (sp) between the two layers of drywall. I understand the frequency issue. We'll see. But I've seen SO MANY passionate, angered posts about this. You didn't see this 10 years ago. This phenomenon is relatively new. I was laughing about this with other studio owners/builders this past week. It's like seatbelts in cars. None of us used those as kids, or helmets on bikes, yet we survived.

There's also a money pit, sink hole. Learn what you can and build it.

+1, lot of good points there.

Good luck with everything Bman, and congrats on the new house. :)

Thanks!! Most likely it’ll be a cave/jam room. Not full blown studio. I don’t think I’m up for that type of project. I’ll have a study to use in the interim. But I do want to build it out and soundproof it the best I can within reason. I’ve got a ton of info here to use as a resource.

I’ve built two room with the wall within a wall concept. The first was a converted garage. Music rehearsal room. It worked great. Drywall with an air gap before the other drywall. This one I used resilient channel aluminum strips. I’m playing jazz so I don’t think I’ll hear a humming frequency but I’ll ley you know. I’m one week out before the flooring goes in. I still have the acoustic panels.

You’re putting together a music room. That’s easier. Good luck! Should be all good!

I’ve built two room with the wall within a wall concept. The first was a converted garage. Music rehearsal room. It worked great. Drywall with an air gap before the other drywall. This one I used resilient channel aluminum strips. I’m playing jazz so I don’t think I’ll hear a humming frequency but I’ll ley you know. I’m one week out before the flooring goes in. I still have the acoustic panels.

You’re putting together a music room. That’s easier. Good luck! Should be all good!
Hmm. Maybe you should host the California user get together this summer? :D

How does one isolate the floor contact ? We used to put our speakers onto tennis balls back in the 80s but a whole room ?

I was on the budget, I used underlayment>OSB>underlayment>laminate flooring. I added a floor carpet for the drums area.
Check for underlayment with best impact noise reduction. The sandwitch of relatively light/high/light/high mass make the noise reduction effective.
The laminate is there because it cheap and neat: beer and dust it's not a problem... ;) but you can also finish the last layer with wood or any appropriate finishing material.
If you had to built an isolate room, start the frame from the OSB (that is (not) touching the floor due to the underlayment)...

Ha! Well someone should’ve shot Lars for taking the bass out of And Justice for All.

Bman, where did that come from, did I miss a post? You're right tho, that album's mix and tone was terrible, it sounded better live on VHS!

Back
Top Bottom