Major ding in new Telecaster

Don't worry it can breathe now ,It going to sound better :D
3 years ago I bought a js 1200, built all my guitar before that, payed about 2000 for it ,I barely play it ,like 2 yrs. Talked to rich at ibanez rules ,he say's play the shit out of it.It hit me, why baby it, So I took his advice. no dropping or fans ,but lots of pick scratches :encouragement:

Last edited:
While I know how you feel, I also know this.... I've NEVER seen a contractor polishing his hammer or refinishing his power drills. While they make em look pretty out of the factory, in the end they're all just tools.

For all you people who like 'character' why not take a hammer to your Axe-Fx ?
Some of the things I buy is only made possible because I take into consideration the resale value such that if times get hard I can recoup some cash. Regardless of character etc. I'm confident that unless the guitar is something special a higher price can be got if it's in good order without dings, scratches etc. So what I'm saying is, that ding would make me feel rather sick and I'd want to get it repaired to 'as new' condition.

For all you people who like 'character' why not take a hammer to your Axe-Fx ?

Because a dinged up old guitar has character, a dinged up piece of electronics just looks like a dinged up piece of electronics.

It's an aesthetic thing. My best friend is exactly the opposite of me. He wants his guitars to look pristine.

I admit I got a bit perturbed on my AVRI 57 Strat when I noticed a small bit of "burn" from the presence of a vinyl strap reacting with the nitro finish. I used to leave a vinyl strap on it all the time, but now I don't. I like a bit of wear, but I don't like my guitar to look like it was in an oil slick ;-)

So, I guess we all have our aesthetic preferences. If it bugs the OP, he should get it fixed.

Theres a thread similar to this on the Carvin website where several folks are complaining about the new latches that G&G is using on their cases, and being that I had the same problem with the case for my new Carvin HH2 I explained that I now use a shortened leather belt that I loop around the case and through the handle to make absolutely sure this does not happen to my new #1.

Some biochemist somewhere needs to bioengineer self-healing reptile skins for guitars ... they'd make millions. My heart goes out to you.

Just got back from talking with the luthier. The estimate is less than $100. He can come close, but not perfect on blending the paint. I am OK with a blemish or scar. My main concern is to keep it from chipping any further. Will post pictures when it's done.

Yeah I figured that's about how much it would cost. By the time he's done with it it'll be barely noticeable, and because of where it is, you'll probably hardly ever see it and even stop thinking about it after a while. Nice to hear it'll get taken care of. :)

I managed to dump my new Brandy Wine Telecaster (American Deluxe) out of its case and put a major chip in the paint. Our local Sam Ash has an excellent luthier, but I am not sure he can fix something like this. Someone else looked at it and said that because of the type of paint and/or finish the entire guitar may have to be done. Anyone had any experience getting something like this repaired?

View attachment 17161

Found it interesting to find out that the newer cases have latches that are TSA approved. I find it difficult to get them to latch. On several occasions, it looks like they are closed, but not really latched.

Updated... here is the "after" picture. Doug Frye, Luthier, is amazing.

View attachment 17525

great repair job, can't even tell from the pic.
good to see you got it fixed.
i, too, have butterfingers.
while installing locking strap nuts on my tele yesterday, the nut slipped from my fingers and fell straight on the body, leaving 2 dings...
more to come i guess.

Back
Top Bottom