MAJOR Breakthrough!

Markom

Perhaps many novice Axe-Fx users (regardless of unit edition) struggled early on as I have - As I've said in in other threads, I've been at this for just under a month and was beginning to feel the frustration settling in. One night my rig would sound great through my mixer/near-fields and like crap through my 4-12s; the next night it was the opposite. I simply couldn't seem to get it right regardless of the approach I took to make corrections. Then I discover two elements of sage advice on the Forums:

1. It's okay to set up (or copy) duplicate presets that are specific to what you are playing though.
  2. And, more importantly, visit Yek's How Tos Wiki regarding "How to set the output levels and avoid clipping!"
I began to go through my top 10 presets that were either "stock" or downloaded here. I discovered many inconsistencies in output levels and started making adjustments to primarily the main output levels on the layout pages then systematically bypassing compressors, amps, cabs, effects and EQs to find levels that were simply TOO hot for my taste and for my output levels. BINGO!

I began discovering a new window into (and out of) the Ultra. I realize this is very rudimentary for users having much higher understanding of the science behind the technology, or who've already been through similar frustrations; however, this is a MAJOR breakthrough for me and I'm a much happier camper. My old Digitech 2101 just faded a bit more into the background tonight.

Thanks Yek! :D

Last edited:
Yek is one of the most generous forum members with his time and knowledge. I always pick up something by going to his tips. Thanks Yek!

Awsome, good 4 U. Do not give up on it. I went thru a similar "frustrating" period, but its actually "learning curve". I really got it when I read a post by, I think it was scott peterson, who said "Enjoy the Journey"

Yep, it was 4-6 weeks for me to finally get something I liked. Yeks presets started me on the right path. In fact my 3 main patches today, 18 months later, are tweaks on other folks postings. Super helpful group here.

I had the same experience for even a longer period of time. Once the understanding set in and I realized my mistake, I couldn't believe I'd made such a rudimentary error. But wow, what a revelation... this must be a common error among many Axe users.

I'll agree with everyone here - Yek is one of the master; one must "enjoy the journey" as part of the learning; making mistakes is part of the learning; and, this Forum is certainly THE most helpful group I've encountered related to a singular product. Thanks for your follow-ups.

I like these feel good stories! Very Lifetime-ish.

I generally have 2 sets of presets. One for real poweramp/cabinet and one for monitors/FoH type scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom