Made the jump: RJM MMGT/22! (And the learning experience)

Rick

Axe-Master
After trying several midi controllers, I was continually finding I couldn't access what I wanted to with my new Axe FX III. With no firm time line on the arrival of the FC series pedals, I had to get on with it. So here we are!

*Note*
The timeline statement is not a complaint... flame throwers in the off and upright position! It is only meant to explain one of the driving factors in my decision.

FAMC was eliminated by continual concerns over customer service. RJM appears to be Fractal-esque in customer service and quality. So, Mastermind GT it is. I've searched out, looked over, and even made a few offers on used pedals. I realize there isn't a lot to break on these, but used is used and you just never know... the price break was going to need to be substantial to make it worth the worry. In the end, the sellers and I were never at the same place. No worries, just the nature of the market.

So, when I was checking RJM's forum for info on the progress of the interface between RJM and Fractal, I discovered the Mastermind GT series was on sale (only until 4/27). Knocking a couple of hundred bucks off made it (at least in my mind) close enough that it would almost be pointless to pay 2/3 of the price plus shipping for a used unit with no warranty. After some head shaking (at myself), and a few checks of the bank account, I ordered the RJM GT-22 tonight.

So, with this sort of investment I will be staying with this solution! I am going to learn this thing top to bottom, and get it set up in a way I can hang with for the next several years. I wanted to pass a thank you to @yek for his YouTube videos on the GT-22, as this was fairly influential in my decision to move on to programming rather than wait out the uncertain delivery date on the FC. (See *Note* above)

I hope you RJM users won't mind my picking your brain from time to time. This appears to be deep water I am diving into here.

Last edited:
Wow good luck and it sure looks like an awesome controller.

Last midi controller I had was the Rocktron All-Access and that wasn't much fun to program but good memories of that blue beast.

Yeah, I have tried a few possible things but nothing is doing all I want to try. After watching some videos, reading the forums, downloading the manual, this thing looks like a beast. Honestly, I had to talk myself into the price... I could buy an XL+ for this much! But in the end, it'll earn its keep after a stack of shows so it's an investment. Will it never end? lol

Quite tempted on the GT10, but probably massive overkill for my needs. Holding off and surviving with Morningstar until I get all info on coming FCs and how all features on the AXE-FX III will be able to connect and work with the GTs

Congrats.

Check this wiki page:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=RJM_Mastermind_GT

It's up-to-date and the walkthrough is current for firmware 3.4.9.

Thanks Yek. That was one of my main reading spots prior to purchase, and I am going to use it step by step when my unit arrives. Can't thank you enough for your help with all the information you've put out there.

Quite tempted on the GT10, but probably massive overkill for my needs. Holding off and surviving with Morningstar until I get all info on coming FCs and how all features on the AXE-FX III will be able to connect and work with the GTs

Not to tempt you further... but it's on sale too :)

The price tag is hard to swallow on those but it does seem to be the current best option for the axe fx III. And you're right the RJM support is really part of the cost too so its worth it. Congrats to you on getting a good rig going.

I've always had an eye on these. It's a very impressive controller. I would be interested in the GT-22, but I'm trying to figure out the logistics of it physically. It seams quite a bit bigger than the MFC-101, and for good reason with the screens for each button. What does everyone use for a pedal board to mount it to? I use 2 Mission expression pedals, and the board I'm currently using isn't wide enough or deep enough for the GT-22 and 2 pedals. We also get a lot of drunk dancers on stage, so I wrap my controller in a 2 gallon ziplock bag just in case. I'd be nervous exposing such a complex unit to the late night bar crowd. Does it get along with beer OK?

I've always had an eye on these. It's a very impressive controller. I would be interested in the GT-22, but I'm trying to figure out the logistics of it physically. It seams quite a bit bigger than the MFC-101, and for good reason with the screens for each button. What does everyone use for a pedal board to mount it to? I use 2 Mission expression pedals, and the board I'm currently using isn't wide enough or deep enough for the GT-22 and 2 pedals. We also get a lot of drunk dancers on stage, so I wrap my controller in a 2 gallon ziplock bag just in case. I'd be nervous exposing such a complex unit to the late night bar crowd. Does it get along with beer OK?

I have the gt16, much smaller than the gt22. No real need for the 22 buttons with the paging options available in the firmware.

I used a custom pedalboard for a while but these days I just have the MMGT by itself on the floor.

I debated for a while between the 16 and 22, but in the end decided it was better to have and not need than to need and not have. I use only the midi controller and one expression pedal (sometimes an SP-2 if I want to use it for more than one thing) so I am not overly concerned with size, which is more a front to back extra space than side to side. It is a pain to fit all of this with vocal monitors and mic stands and such, but it's time to pick a solution that I can commit to and get it solved onstage. I was there with the MFC-101 for years, just have to carve out a few more inches all around now!

Cool! Looks like Ron's stock is going up in the Lone Star state. Mine should arrive Saturday! :mailopenflagup:

Back
Top Bottom