Mackie HD1221

If you get the chance, could you upload/send a video of your 1221 on an initial cold startup? It would be interesting to compare.

Mine are completely quite when I turn them on, I recommend getting the replacement as soon as you can. I believe something is up with it I cant even tell there is a fan I have a feeling mine wont come on unless they start heating up. Get the RMA going.

I cant do a video at this time but I am telling you with out any doubt they are completely silent when turning them on, absolutely no sound. I didn't even know they had a fan in them . I would return it , it is not normal.

The fan in mine starts straight away. Same with the other guitarist in my band. It's not enough to bother me though.

Hey scratch what I said before there is a fan that starts up when turning them on, I didnt have my main supple on when I hit the switch. I just took a listen and you can hear the fan when turning them on. Sorry about that!

Now I know why they stay so cool I have felt the backs to see if they get hot but i never noticed the fan sound. I have tinnitus real bad since the 70s probably couldn't hear the fans over the ringing in my ears.

when I had Chris's HD1221 on loan I distinctly remember it was silent . I remember this because I had to check the lights to make sure it actually fired up.

Does it sound like vid I uploaded? I just want to make sure it's not part of the design before kicking up a fuss with customer service ;)

Received this from the store today:

Good Morning Simon,

Thank you for contacting us, I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your Mackie speaker I shall raise a return for the unit and have it repaired under warranty.

Hopefully it'll be a quick turn around! My scepticism though says they new it was faulty and needed me as a customer to complain so it could be repaired by Mackie...it was sold as B-Stock (shop demo)...a couple of light dings but nothing hideous, also at £650 it cost enough! Might get a new one out of them eventually if the problem persists.

Just got mine today. My fan makes noise when I start it up, but I its still fairly quiet. I can run a very quiet guitar patch and still not hear a thing. I remember reading other people had problems with them being a bit noisy, but most people get over it because when you play them at any semi-loud volume it wont matter. Besides that, these things ROCK! Best guitar tone I have had in my life. Glad i went with Mackie.

I would say yes, although it depends on the sound you are going for. I mainly play progressive metal, and these wedges give me the EXACT tone I'm looking for. They reproduce my tone flawlessly and have a good response.

Wow sounds awesome. I play progressive as well. I'm gonna see if I can try one out. Do you play out of one or stereo

I run my Mackie mono. I thought it would sound bad initially, but it sounds absolutely HUGE. You can run your patches sum l+r, but because I use a barebones patch (no delays or chorus or anything) I just leave the output running normally out of the left channel. What I realized is most guitar combo amps only run one speaker as well, so you aren't at a disadvantage running mono. I'll probably run stero one day, but for now, this is more than acceptable :)

Oh that's awesome. That's what I would be worried about. Btw your clip is awesome . Thanx for the help man

I want a second 1221 just for listening to movies etc through at home :p

I use my axe fx 2 as my audio interface with my pc.
currently at home I have a set of yamaha hs50m's that I listen to everything through (and mix with), but it would be great to have stereo 1221's :D

My fan makes noise when I start it up, but I its still fairly quiet.

I'm using 2x Mackie HD1221 powered speakers. I realize that this thread is somewhat stale but I too dislike the fan noise. Considering the power these things can push and the relatively low volume levels mine are often running, I'm very surprised that the fans need to be running all the time. Even then, if they are running from startup, it's crazy that they are audible.

Has anybody got any ideas or had any feedback from Mackie? I doubt this is a "defect" and "acceptable" fan noise is a subjective thing anyway.

My plan is to open one of my units up to see if the fan can be replaced with a quieter, better quality part which pushes the same air but with less noise. Alternatively, I may try to mount it on rubber isolation standoffs. Lastly, I may try a PC style fan RPM control that will let me dial back the noise while watching for thermal shutdown.

Maybe everybody else has migrated to some fancy Atomic CLR FRFR gear? :)

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom