Mackie HD1221

markmusicman

Experienced
Is anyone else using the Mackie HD1221s? I really love mine but I don't hear to many people mentioning them on the forum. I know the first release of these speakers had some issues but as far as I know Mackie worked out all the issues. The pair I am using were produced at the beginning of the year and seem to work great. I use the contour switch for when I'm using lower volumes and to me they sound great. Those first ones gave them a bit of a bad rap but I really believe they fixed all the issues. I'll tell you what they can really crank if you want them to. I'm also interested in their new line of SRMs the 550s and 650s the 550s are 1600 watts and they are nice looking wedges fo $599.00 each. I may get some for back up someday. First id like to save for a spare axe fx I'm sure we all would liked that.If there are any other users I would lve to hear your opinion.
Thanks
Markmusicman

I have one and love it. I wasn't aware they had issues initially. I got mine last October, and haven't had any trouble with it at all.
It definitely has more headroom than I need. I've yet to get it loud enough to make it start losing it's composure.
I haven't used the contour switch. I just leave it on Normal. Maybe I should try switching it to boost the bass when I'm playing it quietly.
For me personally, when I'm gigging I feel like I'm getting realistic thump from it, and I've yet to find a soundman that doesn't love my setup.
My only complaint is that I wish it were a little smaller and lighter. First world problem!

The problems they had with them i believe were when they first came out, I think most of the affected units were from 2011 or earlier. I'm glad to hear someone else is enjoying them.

I know that the early HD series had issues with thermalling under normal operating conditions which steered people away. You also might want to look at the DLM series if you already haven't. A couple of guys on the board are using them with good results, for the money I think they would be a great solution for their power to weight ratio.

I'm completely happy with the HD1221s, I'm wondering how the new SRM series speakers sound, they are pretty low priced for 1600 watts each.

I've had a pair of HD1221s for about 2 years now, and I am very happy with them. They sound great with the Axe, are loud as hell, don't take up too much space and make a great set of live jamming monitors when I'm playing with friends. I run my vDrums, both of my Axe-IIs and a bass DI into them and they're perfect.

I was also wondering do you use the contour switch on the Mackies for lower level paying? I have found I like using them with the switch setup this way.

I borrowed one of MG-Chris's for a while , they are really freaking loud.
I liked it while I had it, I just had no need for it, so I never pursued getting one.

I think you will love it, there is a switch on the speaker you can set for low volume use. Its a contour switch, I leave mine with it set for low volume use.

I've been using a single HD1221 for as long as I've had my axe 2.
I only use mine when I'm playing on stage now though. Output 2 is sent to the mackie whilst output 1 goes to FOH. That way I can control my stage volume independently from FOH.

Is the fan on your 1221 loud? I got a new one today and was surprised by the fan noise...is this about right?

I looked at the manual and it says there is a thermally controlled fan inside the unit, but I never even knew it was there. I just took a listen to mine and don't hear anything at all however they have been turned off. maybe the fan spin's up after having them on for awhile and I have never noticed it. I will leave them on for awhile tomorrow and see what happens if the fan is making this sound when they have not been on for awhile I would get a replacement from them. There customer service is pretty good about that. Or if you bought them from Sweetwater they are great for returns.

Yeah I saw that too but didn't think it would create that much noise...I just wondered if it was meant to be like that. I've emailed Mackie and have 7 days to change my mind with the company I bought it from, but I might just email them and say it seems odd. Let me know as soon as you can if it starts making a similar noise.

Yeah I literally opened the box, plugged it in and that was the noise it started making...tried again a few hours later and the same happened again. I expected there to be some noise comparible to an amp idling but it's really quite loud IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom