Bug? Mac USB Issues

I received my Axe II a couple of days ago, and was getting intermittent clicks/pops while playing it via SPDIF through my Focusrite Saffire 56 interface. When I changed the clock source on the Saffire to SPDIF the noise disappears. Haven't tried recording yet. Not sure that is going to help the USB issue, but thought I'd share the experience. Have to add that it really is a fantastic sounding processor!

I've had a similar issue though I use my Presonus firestudio firewire interface as the main audio interface. I use this to use all the apps and as a general audio interface to process audio from VLC/itunes as well for entertainment purposes. Now though this interface isn't producing any audio at all after installing the recommended AXEII usb driver.

Still having issues with the clicks/pops as long as the Axe-Fx II is connected. I can even pull the Axe-FX II USB cord out of the back of the Mac while the track is playing and the clicks/pops instantly stop. 99% sure this is an Axe-Fx driver issue, but what do I know?

Yeah....yesterday i got this message from fractal audio
"There is a known issue with the Mac driver. Apple is working on it.

My advice is to use the analog I/O in the interim."
We have to just wait

I thought the bug apple are working ont only affected certain chipset(s)??

I know I get the bug and am not on the chipset mentioned.

have an issue where i can't use AxeEdit and Logic at the same time....AxeEdit says that it fails connection to the Axe, when I'm using it with Logic at that time

I have a 2010 Macbook Pro with Snowleopard and a 2011 27" Imac with Lion and it doesn't work on both.
The USB feature was one of the mainreasons why i changed from Ultra to II, I lost a lot of money because of this an then it isn't working. Don't understand why nobody cares about this problem but new firmware updates came out all the time...

Yes that's pretty strange, I've paired different devices (USB and Firewire) and never had a problem but with the Axe II.
This isn't what I'm familiarized with Apple because usually you plug devices in and the work and if there's any kind of issue it is solved within a few days if you contact Apple or the manufacturer of the device.

I get the same pops and clicks too randomly. I use a 2010 intel mac mini. Its lasts for 10 secs or so and then it disappears for 30 mins. When I record for real I use my analog outs.

Yes that's pretty strange, I've paired different devices (USB and Firewire) and never had a problem but with the Axe II.
This isn't what I'm familiarized with Apple because usually you plug devices in and the work and if there's any kind of issue it is solved within a few days if you contact Apple or the manufacturer of the device.
This is what the GP (general public) is expect to believe of Apple. However, that is not [always] the case in my experience. My company is still waiting on a "fix" for a browser "issue" tha we identified as a security hole, that was supposed to have been "in the next build" of the browser to be released with the OS. That was 2 yrs ago. Bug is still there - in current browser release. Since it didn't affect a whole lot of folks it might not be considered a priority by them. Perhaps this issue isn't either ? <shrug>

Must agree here ... I have reported bugs to apple and been told they are working On a fix ..... I reported it the day the firmware was released... Managed to reproduce it 100% on other units... Took them 18 months to fix it.

well I found an interesting thing tonight... if the CPU on the Axe-FX was in in the 80's with blocks etc then I got the static clicks... I deleted a couple of blocks to take the CPU loading down and the clicks went away.

This might explain why it is intermittent and some people don't see it at all.

Will keep playing aout to see if that is the issue.... if it is then it would be useful to see CPU loading being reflected when you connect USB .. if it isn't already reflected.

I always try to keep CPU under 90 and I did not notice it increasing when I was using USB... but that might just have been me.

I hope this is the answer as I really want to use the USB recording.

well I found an interesting thing tonight... if the CPU on the Axe-FX was in in the 80's with blocks etc then I got the static clicks... I deleted a couple of blocks to take the CPU loading down and the clicks went away.

This might explain why it is intermittent and some people don't see it at all.

Will keep playing aout to see if that is the issue.... if it is then it would be useful to see CPU loading being reflected when you connect USB .. if it isn't already reflected.

I always try to keep CPU under 90 and I did not notice it increasing when I was using USB... but that might just have been me.

I hope this is the answer as I really want to use the USB recording.

Good find!

Hey Alexander,

Do you get the same results if you take out some blocks??

You fill you grid with a lot of blocks too so it will be interesting to see if you can reproduce this??

Cheers

Martin

I don't get clicks and pops, but disappearing audio. I often practice with an Ableton Live template with a bunch of scene launches at different tempos. What I notice is that every 10-15 minutes the click drops momentarily (1 second or less). This happens on a Leopard Macbook Pro late 2008 and i7 early 2011 Snow Leopard machine. I also run RME Fireface UFX and Duet interfaces and never have this issue.

Anyone else have this issue in addition to or instaed of clicks and pops?

Back
Top Bottom