Mac OS 11 Big Sur Notices

Basically, Big Sur broke a few things because the way the computer spoke- the language- changed. It didn't have to do with the operating system itself, but due to hardware changes in the newer model computers, which run this latest OS. Monterey is using the same "language" (ARM, on Apple silicon) as Big Sur, so there likely won't be any compatibility issues. Rather, I'd expect things to get better as Apple further improves the translator between the old and new language (Rosetta 2).

Intuition tells me (just a guess, take with salt) that any old Intel book running these OS versions wouldn't have an issue, since there's no translation to be made.

Correct me if any of this is wrong or difficult to understand, I'm not a mac person (yet!)

I've yet to make any switch to the M1 chip architecture, and am content with the Intel chip for the time. I'm not particular about whether the Monterey OS can improve the way we conduct computer business, just whether the Fractal ecosystem will be compatible when Monterey is released. (My personal preference is to stay current with recently released Apple OS and iOS upgrades, simply because security upgrades are also typically part of each new upgrade. Constantly facing challenges to cope with outside sources seeking vulnerabilities doesn't contribute to this being a perfect world.)

As it happens, I am very familiar with operating systems and computer architecture, and your question about Monterey compatibility info from FAS is quite reasonable. I'm sure when the time comes, FAS will provide compatibility info, just like they did for Big Sur.

Thanks, that's reassuring. I can't help but think that FAS will be quick to release their Monterey-compatible OS relatively quickly. Meanwhile, let's hold out until Apple fulfills its promise of a new OS.

Last edited:
should't be any issues from BigSur to Monterrey since is not a major upgrade, but is always good to have the official statement from the vendor

should't be any issues from BigSur to Monterrey since is not a major upgrade, but is always good to have the official statement from the vendor

Well, there are numerous additional features being added to the current OS. My feeling is the structure is the same. This is not a case of good hair day, bad hair day. My hope is that Apple won't gift us with inordinate lavish things we won't need. If it'll help the Fractal ecosystem, all for it. If not, I care about what others are going to think if they dwell on the negative side of things.

I wouldn't want folks muttering stuff about Apple's merciful offerings, only to hear some kid complain they didn't receive much for school. Well, OK. We got you a bike instead.

Considering how much mac OS changed on under the 10th major version (and 20 years) it would be pretty safe to assert that the OS name isn't technically the major version specification. At least with regards to semantic versioning.

i.e. minor versions are technically major versions. So things can and have broken in the past, especially around audio.

Considering how much mac OS changed on under the 10th major version (and 20 years) it would be pretty safe to assert that the OS name isn't technically the major version specification. At least with regards to semantic versioning.

i.e. minor versions are technically major versions. So things can and have broken in the past, especially around audio.
what I mean about major update is that BigSur implemented a lot of changes due to the ARM SoC and Monterrey will not have THAT kind of changes, I've faced MacOS updates from several years and the only "issues" that I've seen was only when I changed my 2012 MBP for the M1 MBP, but in regards of audio devices the Scarlett devices I had and the AX8 and FM3 never faced any issues more that few glitches caused by Roseta2.

As far as I know, Monterrey only has few application changes like FaceTime, Safari and so on, there is no other major updates, also comparing now the strategy from Apple is not correct, they will not be following the same approach as before with OS X, now we have MacOS 11 and this year we will have MacOS 12, but that doesn't mean that is a major upgrade either. I'm basing my opinion on what I read and saw in the presentation for example.

Security changes could and can cause problems, they have made some significant security changes. Most notably around cloning backups involving the OS, which is a PITA. Up until 11.2 I was able to save a bootable backup of my OS and files. Now OS and files are separate and non-bootable. So for the first time I won’t update as I can’t make a bootable backup. Superduper was a great option to try things out. If it was messed, I could copy the backup back no problem.

I have two MacBookAir.One is running Mac OS 10.12.6 Sierra and I have been using the Axe-Fx ll XL on it.
The other is a MacBookAir that I have upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur and I want to use the Axe-Fx ll XL on it from now on and for the first time I have tried to install the USB driver but I cannot. I was able to install Axe-Edit for OS X Version 3.14.6.
Can someone please help me?

I have no problem installing the AxeFX II driver on my M1 Mac running Big Sur. It works fine with audio i/o and axe-edit. Is something not working properly for you?

I have no problem installing the AxeFX II driver on my M1 Mac running Big Sur. It works fine with audio i/o and axe-edit. Is something not working properly for you?
It seems to have been a problem with my Mac and I was able to install it. Thank you very much.

MacBook Air 2020 M1 Mac OS Monterey FM3-Edit disconnected with FM3.
I've tried many options: power on sequence, different working USB cables, different working USB-A - USB-C adapters, different ports (2 USB ports on this Mac), switched different ports in preferences of FM-Edit, updated to last firmware and Mac OS. I've tried to connect to MacBook Pro intel and windows 10 notebook - it worked, so it is not USB of FM3 problem.
First post said "Choose the port that best match the name "/dev/cu.usbmodemXXXX" where each X is a number, or choose "FM3" if that option is listed." But I have only two ports available: dev.cu.wlan-debug and dev.cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port. Also if I press "Use default port" button, it filled in "FM3" port, but it also not connecting.
Could you, please, tell how I can add "/dev/cu.usbmodemXXXX" port in FM-Edit, or maybe there is another way to connect FM3?

Back
Top Bottom