LPD Originals Black Paper Moon Instrumental

groovenut

Power User
This is my instrumental cover of Tommy Heavenly6's Black Paper Moon. Fans will know this as one of the opening themes from the anime series Soul Eater. A few years ago my teenage daughter and I watched the series together. I thought the story telling was great and most of the music used in the themes is pretty cool, but this one stuck with me. So I thought it would be fun to do an instrumental arrangement.

I arranged and play all the instruments. Guitars and bass guitar are recorded through the AxeFxII. Drums are Superior Drummer played via Roland VDrums. The original song is only about half as long because of the video intro length, so I decided to add my own thing to it. Doing the video was a challenge as I had not done multicamera editing before so this was a learning experience in the video realm. Hopefully everyone can find something to enjoy about it.

The guitars used were my trusty 1989 Ibanez RG560, Anderson Cobra T, Les Paul and Strat, Fender J for the bass. The main rhythm sounds are Cameron Atomica and my favorite 80's patch which uses a Bogner Red. Lead lines are the same 80's patch with an 808 in front as a small clean shaping boost. Bass is SVT & 8X10 IR. I will have to look at what IRs I used with the Atomica, but I believe they are factory. The 80's patch uses custom IRs I captured. Drums samples are Superior Drummers Joe Baressi Evil Drums package. The VDrums actually have quite a natural vibe triggering this way. I was surprised though it doesn't necessarily shine in this context.

It was a blast arranging this song and recording the video! If anyone is interested, I can do a lesson for the main solo. Thanks for watching! Please comment to let me know what you think of it!

Here is the audio wav file for those with discerning ears
https://www.dropbox.com/s/boir8habov8ymh3/LPD Black Paper Moon44116.wav

Last edited:
Cool stuff Lawrence, man I love that Tele, you got there. Awesome job man!!!!

Thanks Scott! The Tele is an Anderson Cobra T. It's a great guitar for just about everything except shred. You can shred on it, but the attack of the guitar is very fast and the pickups are very revealing. Most shredders play the guitars they do because of the slower attack and spongy tone (read easier to play). I love the Anderson. It's definitely the jewel of my collection. Fortunately for me it was a gift from a former student, as I could never really afford to purchase one for myself.

Solo Lesson Video

Hey all, for all those interested, here is a lesson of sorts for the solo section of Black Paper Moon. It is half speed with on screen tab. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I had a blast writing and recording it. Hopefully you will find it interesting as well. Have fun!

Last edited:
Though it would make for a much more interesting story, that wasn't the case. My former student was just a very wealthy and very appreciative fellow.

It would make more of an interesting story, I guess... but the real story is way better and very cool.

I agree. That guitar has to be one of my most recorded instruments. It fits in the mix almost without exception. Plus since it's a Gibson scale it's very easy to do bends and has a slightly darker vibe to it.

Back
Top Bottom