LPD Original AxeFxII Preset Splawn 1st Gear OD1-Cold Desert Sun

groovenut

Power User
This is a tune I am currently working on. I wrote it mainly for a demo of my amp match preset of the Splawn Quickrod 1st Gear OD1. All the guitars are recorded using that patch. The guitar used is my Gibson Les Paul, Duncan JB bridge, stock neck. Bass is SVT model in the Axefx II. I hope to get the finished version to come in around 3 minutes and use it on an upcoming CD release. The mix is still a bit rough as well.

For any of you who dont know, the 1st Gear mode of the Quickrod is the lowest gain mode of the three. It also has the least bass and most treble. It can be very difficult to play because it is very revealing. The Quickrod has the ability to sound like there is more gain than there really is, and the model captures this very well. Kudos to Cliff on this point!!! I believe I ran the gain for all the part at 5.7-ish. The cab I used is the same Avatar I used for the amp match, 2X12 Vintage with Celestion G12M70s.

Here is a breakdown:

The Rhythm guitars are all bridge pickup, the leads are all neck pickup. Tonal and gain variations are all volume pot, with the exception of the middle solo which has a TS808 as a filter (no boost).

On the rhythm guitars I have a 21ms delay on the left, dry on the right. This really seperates the guitars, but it will lead to phase issues if the track is played in mono.

The double note section is using the panner (no delay) to sweep two notes to the left and two notes to the right timed to the tempo.

The middle lead section kicks in a TS808 with the drive at 2, the tone at noon, and the level matched to unity gain (no boost) just for a little more clipping.

For the high quality crowd with discerning ears here are the wav and flac

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zul0woivqcsbzi/Cold Desert Sun.wav
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u83fon4c6pirccv/Cold Desert Sun.flac

Thank you all for listening!

Please feel free to comment!

Last edited:
I think the rhythm sound is a bit muffled. In my opinion it needs to be a little more open to cut.

I agree. The only reason I didnt cut the heck out of the mids to make the rhythm fit better is I wanted a straight representation of the model. I will undoubtedly be reworking this one as it evolves and that is probably the first thing I will do.

Back
Top Bottom