Low Stage Volume vs. Guitar Interaction

jefflibby

Inspired
Hi everyone!

I'm looking to get some opinions about something... I always play direct to FOH and monitor only through IEMs. I have always noticed that when the FOH volume is cranked (during rehearsals only), I get that special interaction between speaker and guitar. When the FOH volume drops (we run pretty quiet for church services), I lose that interaction and it affects the "feel" of things. I'm starting to wonder if I should get an Xitone or CLR wedge or even use my cheapo crate acoustic amp to have control over this. I spoke to our FOH engineer about it and he said he'd prefer not to have any wedges on stage since it makes mixing a bit more difficult given our lower volume requirements. But he said that it's up to me.

When I'm playing at home through my crate, I can get some guitar/speaker interaction even at fairly low volumes. Do you think it's worth it going this route or should I just stick to IEM only? I'd hate to invest in a monitoring solution and then have to keep the volume so low that it wouldn't make a difference.

Thoughts?

Hmm. Perhaps you could try going creative here. Split the signal and get the feedback from your Crate. Or take a small crappy monitor and mount it on a stand so that you can get your guitar near it. Then make a preset that has your normal sound into FOH, and another chain with a fat distortion sound, feed that into the crappy monitor. It'll feed back at quite low volume without disturbing the stage balance too much. Sort of like a big but subtle e-bow.

I would try to mock up using a monitor with IEM's with either gear you already have or borrow it.

That way you could at least tell if the approach of IEMs+monitor will work for your situation.

I like to play with the CLR wedge no matter what. In ears or not, just for the exact purpose you are talking about.

I know first hand, it does work well for giving you the feel. But in your situation you may not be able to get enough wedge volume to make a difference there.

I've seen a really cool option for bass that works. You get a sub shaker, those devices that vibrate, and hook it up to a piece of plywood or other stage kit.

Then when you play you rest your foot on it. You feel the vibrations without the sound.

This actually works surprisingly well for bass when you are on in ears. I run the kick drum and bass guitar to the shaker. It tricks you into thinking the sound is more massive.

http://www.parts-express.com/2-aura...source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

Not sure that would work for guitar. I've not tried it.

I'm pretty sure, your Crate will give you the interaction you need. You have to experiment with volume, but I do not think it has to be very loud, if you keep it close.
No need for an expensive monitor just for the interaction

When I'm playing at home through my crate, I can get some guitar/speaker interaction even at fairly low volumes. Do you think it's worth it going this route or should I just stick to IEM only? I'd hate to invest in a monitoring solution and then have to keep the volume so low that it wouldn't make a difference.
Every room is different. The only way to know for sure whether a wedge will work in your situation is to try one.

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to get some opinions about something... I always play direct to FOH and monitor only through IEMs. I have always noticed that when the FOH volume is cranked (during rehearsals only), I get that special interaction between speaker and guitar. When the FOH volume drops (we run pretty quiet for church services), I lose that interaction and it affects the "feel" of things. I'm starting to wonder if I should get an Xitone or CLR wedge or even use my cheapo crate acoustic amp to have control over this. I spoke to our FOH engineer about it and he said he'd prefer not to have any wedges on stage since it makes mixing a bit more difficult given our lower volume requirements. But he said that it's up to me.

Thoughts?
Please describe the stage setup with the musicians you typically play with.
Any idea how many db you are running at during the service?

Have you tried a monitor very close to you at waist height? My band runs to FOH with an IEM mix from the desk. To get acoustic coupling with the guitar I have a Matrix Q12 on a stand behind me, running from output 2. It's at waist height, so I get maximum interaction for minimal increased stage volume. I'm standing in front of it, so there's not much difference for the audience. It also means that I can hear a more guitar-heavy mix without running a separate IEM channel, and if I turn to face the speaker I can get feedback.

Please describe the stage setup with the musicians you typically play with.
Any idea how many db you are running at during the service?

We run under 100dB - typically 95.
Here's a pic of the room:
commission-wide.jpg

Have you tried a monitor very close to you at waist height?

No, I haven't tried any solution yet, but I would probably want to go with something discrete on the floor to maintain a clean front line. I'm usually on vocals too so I wouldn't want too much guitar bleeding into my mic.

Back
Top Bottom