low-end problems

Dday

Using the Atomic FR with the Axe (treble level @ 1:00), and I can't seem to escape a lackluster low end, no matter what the patch. I've been pouring over the manual and tweeking several parameters with no luck. Anyone run across the same problem? Advice??
BTW-I have the Atomic on a Standback, tilted at about 45 degrees.

Thanks-
Dday

I can only agree to that. I have the same setup and also have way too much low end on most patches, which makes the sound quite unclear sometimes. I tried to compensate by using an EQ, but when I reduce those frequencies I always feel like something is missing. I think it has something to do with the cab models.

It depends on the Atomic's postion, the selected amp and the selected cab. For example the Cornford and the Tweed have indeed loads of bass, needs to be tamed. You can use the low cut off parameter (Advanced page, Amp block), or the Global EQ (Global menu) or Radley's blocking Parametric EQ tips (here in the General forum). Some stock cabs also are quite "boomy", especially the German cab.

I have the same rig, a couple suggestions include, lowering speaker resonant freq in advance amp block, lowering depth, trying some parametric eq( see the thread in forum) or depending on the amp soemtimes lowering amp poweramp volume helps ( I can'tr remember name of control but its 2nd from right on page 2 of amp menu), also try Cliffs filter tip on the forum .
Good Luck

try lowering the warmth and thump parameters it seems to clear up most muddiness issues for me but zero might be too much, experiment

At the risk of sounding really stupid. (I don't own an Atomic)...
Why would you be using a cab sim?

I thought you only used the cab sim for doing recording or FOH sends?

grumpops said:
At the risk of sounding really stupid. (I don't own an Atomic)...
Why would you be using a cab sim?

I thought you only used the cab sim for doing recording or FOH sends?
I think the Atomics claim themselves to be FRFR, i.e. full-range/flate-frequency, and therefore are closer to an FRFR monitor than a normal guitar amp. Having said that, that claim is somewhat unsupported (the manufacturer refuses to publish frequency response data, and it uses tubes in its power amp section, which is usually done to add coloration, and is therefore another departure from FRFR).

So short answer: probably yes, you would use cab sims with an Atomic, as you would with an FRFR monitor (and FOH, and recording). And you would turn off cab sims when you use a real guitar cab.

Often, when trying to clear up muddiness, the 300khz ball park is a good place to slap a parametric eq on and experiment. I have found that you can cut a good amount in that range without killing I like about the guitar amp tone. It's not a magic bullet, but it usuallys helps some.

I would break the rules by turning the cab sim off and using the PEQ to "tune" your sound to the cabinet. Worth a try anyway.

I don't have an Atomic, but it is definitely FRFR and intended to be used with cab sims.

Not sure if your OP reference to "lacklustre" bass means too much bass or maybe indistinct lows. fwiw, I use a powered monitor live and in most of my patches use low bass settings (0 to 2), increase the bass cutoff frequency (in advanced amp settings, often up to 150Hz, but go higher if you need to) and often use band 1 of a PEQ connected after the cab in blocking mode but with lowish Q for a gentle bass roll-off post amp.

I've compared the Atomics to my B&W DM602 and I must say that the B&w has more low end, ven though it's only an 8".
So, I also miss some low end in the Atomics and I must say If you're playing with single coils and are facing them, they're prone to squealing.

MisterE said:
I also miss some low end in the Atomics

You gotta be kidding! Both my Atomics have some much bass that they run the risk of causing an earthquake and drilling themselves all the way to China. When using a simple patch with Cornford and 4x12 German I must EQ the hell out of them.

GM Arts said:
I don't have an Atomic, but it is definitely FRFR and intended to be used with cab sims.

From the available literature, the Atomic is marketed as FR (Full-Range), not as FRFR. There's no data to verify the flat response. Based on the recent shootout using recorded music, this seems to corroborate this.

When using a simple patch with Cornford and 4x12 German I must EQ the hell out of them
Both the Cornford and the German 4x12 have a lot of bottom.
I compared the sound coming from my B&W's to the sound coming from the Atomics.
And I was surprised the B&W's had more bottom even with a much smaller woofer.
Just for the record, I used rectifiers, Studio lead 1 and 2 and 5150's with a Recto1 cab and Marshalls with a Brit4x12.

Regarding muddiness in the sound: You want to minimize the source of the muddiness. In all amplified sound reinforcement a proximity mic problem becomes an issue. There is a buildup of 200hz that makes everything producing it have an affect on the entire room you are monitoring in. This effects live music and recording rooms too. So you take action on all of it everywhere. I've been doing this for more than twenty years. It works great from front of house. If you are on a stage, using your amp with the 200hz moderated the way I suggest and you use a mic to send your sound to the mixing board then the mic will reproduce the audio coupling affect. So the main mix must take out the proximity effect even after you have already done so at the stage. There is plenty of 200hz for you in the first harmonic of 100hz, which is 200hz. Overcoming muddiness is basic physics. It would make a nice feature for the Axefx-Ultra to have it be a button click, (A/B). It's a trick of the trade so everyone will start doing it. Funny 20 years later and I now share it. Beware, it leads to arguments from sound engineers that won't admit it works. I waited 20 years for affordable 24 bit processing in effects processors. After I heard 24 bit Yamaha reverbs in a recording studio I was hooked forever. AXEfx ULTRA is a dream come true.

From another thread:
gizmotron said:
It's a recording trick. There's too much at 200hz. You can try filtering out the congestion at 200hz. I do it by pulling down the 200hz and boosting 100hz in anything that is amplified, like a guitar amp. There is this proximity effect that exists when microphones and amplifiers are used to capture sound. The trick is that the first harmonic of 100hz is 200hz. So in effect you are getting it back. I'd experiment a little. The goal is to get rid of that muddy sounding range at around 200hz. So I use the clarity of the 100hz secondary harmonic to replace it. It works great in sound reinforcement. It works while mastering mixes in the mix room. It's a way to clean up muddiness. So I look for anything producing 200hz that also has 100hz. After a while you get used to checking for it. You know when it's muddy sounding.

P.S.
I mean just the guitar. You take it out of each instrument that produces too much of it.

graph.jpg

gizmotron said:
Regarding muddiness in the sound: You want to minimize the source of the muddiness. In all amplified sound reinforcement a proximity mic problem becomes an issue. There is a buildup of 200hz that makes everything producing it have an affect on the entire room you are monitoring in. This effects live music and recording rooms too. So you take action on all of it everywhere. I've been doing this for more than twenty years. It works great from front of house. If you are on a stage, using your amp with the 200hz moderated the way I suggest and you use a mic to send your sound to the mixing board then the mic will reproduce the audio coupling affect. So the main mix must take out the proximity effect even after you have already done so at the stage. There is plenty of 200hz for you in the first harmonic of 100hz, which is 200hz. Overcoming muddiness is basic physics. It would make a nice feature for the Axefx-Ultra to have it be a button click, (A/B). It's a trick of the trade so everyone will start doing it. Funny 20 years later and I now share it. Beware, it leads to arguments from sound engineers that won't admit it works. I waited 20 years for affordable 24 bit processing in effects processors. After I heard 24 bit Yamaha reverbs in a recording studio I was hooked forever. AXEfx ULTRA is a dream come true.

From another thread:
gizmotron said:
It's a recording trick. There's too much at 200hz. You can try filtering out the congestion at 200hz. I do it by pulling down the 200hz and boosting 100hz in anything that is amplified, like a guitar amp. There is this proximity effect that exists when microphones and amplifiers are used to capture sound. The trick is that the first harmonic of 100hz is 200hz. So in effect you are getting it back. I'd experiment a little. The goal is to get rid of that muddy sounding range at around 200hz. So I use the clarity of the 100hz secondary harmonic to replace it. It works great in sound reinforcement. It works while mastering mixes in the mix room. It's a way to clean up muddiness. So I look for anything producing 200hz that also has 100hz. After a while you get used to checking for it. You know when it's muddy sounding.

P.S.
I mean just the guitar. You take it out of each instrument that produces too much of it.

graph.jpg

cosmic--

i just went through a bunch of my presets and did something very similar prior to reading this.
i tweaked the blocking high pass filter so it shaved under 100 but added a bump in the 120-140hz range and notched 200-230hz with a second para eq filter

and just a thought for the live gtr sound, i hung out with an engineer a few months ago that mixed for va halen, vai, larry carlton, etc and he suggests on the PA console if you have the controls, to high pass at 250-300hz, and to low pass at 5k for rock gtrs.

i've been experimenting with these numbers and it has really enhanced overall control and balance of electric gtrs.

mentoneman said:
cosmic--

i just went through a bunch of my presets and did something very similar prior to reading this.
i tweaked the blocking high pass filter so it shaved under 100 but added a bump in the 120-140hz range and notched 200-230hz with a second para eq filter

and just a thought for the live gtr sound, i hung out with an engineer a few months ago that mixed for va halen, vai, larry carlton, etc and he suggests on the PA console if you have the controls, to high pass at 250-300hz, and to low pass at 5k for rock gtrs.

i've been experimenting with these numbers and it has really enhanced overall control and balance of electric gtrs.
a-Ha, I've been turning up my blocking PEQ to 240Hz or something at rehearsals. If I block at around 100Hz-140Hz it just isn't clear enough for me. So I just kept turning the frequency up until it sounded like it should for me.

We do have other guitar player as well and he uses traditional rig. He can't do EQing after cab so he's still filling, and fighting for, the low end with bass.

a-Ha, I've been turning up my blocking PEQ to 240Hz or something at rehearsals. If I block at around 100Hz-140Hz it just isn't clear enough for me. So I just kept turning the frequency up until it sounded like it should for me.

I start blocking at around 150Hz and turn it up depending on the amp. It takes some balls away but the result fits so much better in the total mix.
At the high end I start at around 7K and turn it down from there.

alchemist said:
GM Arts said:

From the available literature, the Atomic is marketed as FR (Full-Range), not as FRFR. There's no data to verify the flat response. Based on the recent shootout using recorded music, this seems to corroborate this.
fair point, thx alchemist

Back
Top Bottom