low-end problems

guittarzzan said:
Often, when trying to clear up muddiness, the 300khz ball park is a good place to slap a parametric eq on and experiment. I have found that you can cut a good amount in that range without killing I like about the guitar amp tone. It's not a magic bullet, but it usuallys helps some.

I think you meant 300hz. :cool:

mentoneman said:
and just a thought for the live gtr sound, i hung out with an engineer a few months ago that mixed for va halen, vai, larry carlton, etc and he suggests on the PA console if you have the controls, to high pass at 250-300hz, and to low pass at 5k for rock gtrs.

i've been experimenting with these numbers and it has really enhanced overall control and balance of electric gtrs.

just to be clear this info is for settings on the PA console when micing/mixing electrics live, not for the axe but who knows it may work for certain patches too.

AdamCook said:
guittarzzan said:
Often, when trying to clear up muddiness, the 300khz ball park is a good place to slap a parametric eq on and experiment. I have found that you can cut a good amount in that range without killing I like about the guitar amp tone. It's not a magic bullet, but it usuallys helps some.

I think you meant 300hz. :cool:

No I think that is right, we need to keep dogs in mind when dialing in our Axe's as well. :lol:

My latest measurement in the "too much bass" department (Atomic FR) is just cutting the lowest freq. (65Hz band) in the Global EQ for both outputs. This instead of doing it per patch.

I don't own an Atomic....so just speaking from the point of generality..

If you're coming out of the AXE and into the "input" of a combo amp...you're still going through a preamp then into a power amp and no matter what you call a steak..it's still a steak...

I find it extremely hard to reconcile, in my own mind, how that can NOT be altering your sound. You're coming from an already modelled sound and then going through a preamp which is again "modeling" your sound through it's own bass/mid/highs EQ section.

Seems like reverbing a reverb to me..but as I said..I don't own one so I can't speak to the veracity of it being flat response....though....in order to be flat response, shouldn't it NOT HAVE any tone controls at all and just pass the signal it's given???

Having tried it both ways...I'm 10000% sold on...Out of the Axe, into a power amp...period.

But as was already mentioned....it wouldn't hurt to shut down your cab sims (which I believe can be done on a global basis) and at least listen to it.

Back
Top Bottom