Love my new Axe FX XL+, but I'm hearing random clicks or crackles...

I think the OP says he gets it with headphones in the front of the Axe Fx and nothing else connected, so sample rate wouldn't come into it, would it ?

Sounds like static from your hand brushing the strings.

I was thinking that too.

Does it happen if you don't lift your palm mute between chords (IE keep the strings grounded at all times)?

Are you playing barefoot on a static generating floor covering like a carpet?

I doubt it's an AxeFX hardware issue.. more of a config issue..IMHO
Go into the ASIO driver (assuming Windoze box) and adjust the sample rate... it might be set to "safe" or other value.
You might be able to adjust that rate thru your DAW software.
There's a trick/skill to adjusting it..

Actually, it happens when the box is disconnected from everything, and I'm plugging headphones directly into the front.

First play with the same preset through a headphone jack from the front of the Axe-Fx. Do you still hear the same clicks? If you still hear the clicks, then I would agree to try the unit in a different room and wall socket. If you continue to hear the clicks, then use Fractal Bot to perform a full backup of your presets, user cabs and system and then reinstall the firmware. If you continue to hear clicks, open a support ticket.

If you don't hear the clicks when you play through headphones, then the problem is being created somewhere in the signal chain, but my outlook is that it is caused by too low a buffer setting. Try opening the Asio control panel and selecting the next highest buffer size option available. If the clicks stop, then this is your problem. On the plus side, that will stop the problem, but the downside with higher buffer settings is that it introduces latency, which is the time between when you pick a note and the time you hear it coming out of your computer speakers.

Thanks, I'm going to try plugging in to a different room when I get off work. I've confirmed that it's not an ASIO issue, and I reinstalled the firmware last night to no avail.

I was thinking that too.

Does it happen if you don't lift your palm mute between chords (IE keep the strings grounded at all times)?

Are you playing barefoot on a static generating floor covering like a carpet?

I believe I'm keeping the strings muted in the recording, but I will definitely explore the static theory later as it sounds plausible, thanks!

I experience the same issue where the presets make the popping noises even with my input gate lowered but it's only some of them that do it. Strangely enough custom presets I import never have an issue. Also this is happening for me on patches well below 90%.

I experience the same issue where the presets make the popping noises even with my input gate lowered but it's only some of them that do it. Strangely enough custom presets I import never have an issue. Also this is happening for me on patches well below 90%.

I'll have to confirm later, but I believe it's only happening on some presets for me as well. For instance, I can't seem to reproduce the pops on Vibrato-King, but it's very present on USA Clean. Do you by chance know what differentiates the presets that could be causing it?

Yes some presets clearly pop and others are completely silent. I tried to compare ones that pop to others that do not while finding no explanation for the difference. I do know the CPU was never the issue as they were well below 90%. Cliff once said it might be the input volume being too loud causing clipping but that didn't fix things for me either. I guess we would have to upload two presets (one that pops and one that does not) for the pros here to examine.

From the very end of the recording, it's clear that you have a lot of hum coming from the guitar/line and that the noise gate is effectively suppressing it. That would support the hypothesis of crackle from your hand on the strings. I had the same symptoms, and to deal with those issues, I got new pickups in my guitar, new pots, new switch, new wiring, and did full coating of conducting paint inside the electronics cavity. Same problematic power in the room where I use it, no Furman power conditioner in use, but the noise went away with noise-canceling pickups. I almost bought Kinman, but ended up buying Zexcoil. I used to set AxeFX noisegate at about 55-60dB to stop the hum when I wasn't playing. Now I can get away with 85-90dB or totally disabled when no drives or big gains in the picture. So much nicer.

All that said, it doesn't explain why you would hear pops/crackles when nothing plugged in. That could be a separate issue of buffer settings for the computer receiving the audio.

But if you also hear the same pop/crackle via headset directly plugged into AxeFX headphone jack when no guitar is plugged in, that starts to point the finger at something in the AxeFX. Make sure to rule out crappy cable on your headphones too! Wiggle the cable to see if you can trigger the sounds.

I had pops and clicks in my rig. I checked, double checked all connections, wires, isolation washers. I noticed it was intermittent. I play when time is available which includes some late night and early morning jamming. I was about to pull my last tuft of hair out when I noticed one day when I put my tennies on it quit popping. I had finally found my problem.

My sweetheart had given me some of those goofy giant bear paw house shoes. They were so stinking warm and comfy but when combined with wearing my robe, it was a snap, crackle and pop festival.

Actually, it happens when the box is disconnected from everything, and I'm plugging headphones directly into the front.
I missed that.. sorry.
But if you also hear the same pop/crackle via headset directly plugged into AxeFX headphone jack when no guitar is plugged in, that starts to point the finger at something in the AxeFX. Make sure to rule out crappy cable on your headphones too! Wiggle the cable to see if you can trigger the sounds.
+100%
Fleece,
you need to narrow the source of the noise. I'm not sure if you've tried different guitars, cables and power from other rooms?
However, if as @6stringscott stated, you get that noise via phones with nothing connected, that does point to the Axe.
If that happens, move to another power source..
failing all that.. post the presets that are causing the issues.

Thank you all so much for your help troubleshooting this. I'm going to try each of your excellent suggestions, and see if I can't isolate it.

I will report back. Thanks again!

I'm happy to say that I think (knock on wood), the problem has been identified and solved, thanks to everyone's help!!!

I was able to test out a 4th guitar today: a Strat with Lace Sensor pickups. And no clicks! Went back to my tele, and there were the clicks.

Each of my guitars, other than this new Strat with the Lace Sensors, has metal pickup covers on it, and what several of you had been saying instantly made sense: it's a static discharge between my fingers and the pickup covers.

Having read what MWD said above -- that his slippers were causing a similar issue -- I put on some sneakers and tried the Tele again. I don't want to jinx it, but I can't seem to recreate the clicks now! I still need to experiment more, but I'm so excited that I wanted to rush back online and tell you guys, and say THANKS! :) I'm off to play the new Strat some more in my sneakers. haha

A minute or so after listening to the recording you made I started humming Creep by Radiohead to myself. Wasn't at all sure why at first until I pieced it to what you played.

A minute or so after listening to the recording you made I started humming Creep by Radiohead to myself. Wasn't at all sure why at first until I pieced it to what you played.

Haha, that hadn't occurred to me but you're right. I think the slight difference is that Creep is G-B-C-Cm (I think?), and I had a B-minor in there. It was something I picked up from Marty Schwartz, but then Creepified it with the Cm. Anyway, good ear! ;)

I'm happy to say that I think (knock on wood), the problem has been identified and solved, thanks to everyone's help!!!

I was able to test out a 4th guitar today: a Strat with Lace Sensor pickups. And no clicks! Went back to my tele, and there were the clicks.

Each of my guitars, other than this new Strat with the Lace Sensors, has metal pickup covers on it, and what several of you had been saying instantly made sense: it's a static discharge between my fingers and the pickup covers.

Having read what MWD said above -- that his slippers were causing a similar issue -- I put on some sneakers and tried the Tele again. I don't want to jinx it, but I can't seem to recreate the clicks now! I still need to experiment more, but I'm so excited that I wanted to rush back online and tell you guys, and say THANKS! :) I'm off to play the new Strat some more in my sneakers. haha
Yeah, I assumed that at the beginning of the thread, in that is sounded like a spark or static. You actually agreed with me there, so I wonder why you didn't try that. ;)

If it's really bad, then a good solution is to play barefoot or wear shoes with thin soles. Basicly, you want to keep the resistance between your feet and the ground low. As an alternative, you can also touch a grounded metal chassis on a regular basis to discharge yourself (for example, the Axe chassis).

Sounds like static from your hand brushing the strings.

Exactly what I thought. Those clicks happen on rhythmically the same places in the sounds sample. Also because there are no clicks in the sounds sample when you don't play. Sounds like static noise. Maybe you are touching the pickguard with your hands or the pickups or something else? Do the clicks also happen when you play only the Axe through an amp (no recording software or USB attached)? Or only Axe through headphone (as suggested by someone already)?

Back
Top Bottom