....Louder.

Try this:

Max out the CLR master, set the input volume on the CLR to 1 o'clock and use the output knob on the Axe as your volume.

You know there is both an input level clip led indicator and a speaker protection led. Not until both these light up you have run out of headroom.

With this setup and a gainy preset I can literally drown the rest of my band with the Axe output knob at somewhere between 10-12 o'clock!
Please report!

Last edited:
Honestly, your band is simply too loud... Take it from someone that has done the insanely loud thing (as in having an entire audience get as far away from the stage as they could due to the excessive volume loud.) I know it's not what you want to hear, and I know how fun it is to play loud and how hard it can be to get a drummer to back off a bit, but to add to what someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, you'll be amazed at how much better you sound, how much tighter you will be as a band, and how much better you'll play simply by turning down. Keep the stage volume lower and let FOH take care of making the audience leave with their ears ringing ;)

Try this:

Max out the CLR master, set the input volume on the CLR to 1 o'clock and use the output knob on the Axe as your volume.

You know there is both an input level clip led indicator and a speaker protection led. Not until both these light up you have run out of headroom.

With this setup and a gainy preset I can literally drown the rest of my band with the Axe output knob at somewhere between 10-12 o'clock!
Please report!

Also, might I add that in a discussion with Tom King about the "OUTPUT" clip LED: there is protection circuitry in the amp section, so this red LED light is to be noted, but not followed as an abslolute "don't trip the output LED", but rather let your ears be your guide and you can have the output LED on, and if it sounds good, don't worry about it. Crank it up until it starts to negatively impact the sound. The same cannot be said for the input LED, which will distort noticeably if you hit it too hard. I've found that, generally speaking, it is low end that will cause clip indicator lights to engage, and this can be a challenge with the CLRs. If you're pushing the limits of output, there really is a fine line between "loud good" and "loud - this thing sounds like it's going to blow".

To MikeyB59, As Christian Slater said in "Heathers"..."The extreme always seems to make an impression." Tell me about it. I thought they'd be loud enough too.

If this is the case, then the CLR is the wrong tool for the job IMHO. At a certain point of high sound level exposure, your ears (and anyone else's who is in the room) will just sort of "check out", so the finer nuances of tone and articulation go right out the window, which is the whole point of the CLR. You'd be much better served to join suit with the others and blow your balls and brains out with a traditionally powered rig with the AxeFx as preamp/fx. If you're committed to excessive volume as a "schtick", then that is the only thing that makes sense....that...and wearing earplugs.

Question: Is it not loud enough for you to hear yourself or for your band members?

If it's just you and you are already using ear protection, then maybe deep in-ears would work. They'd double as ear protection and give you safe control over what you hear. If you don't want to get molded in-ears and you are wearing over the ear ear protection, you could just wear some earbuds under the protection (provided the cable doesn't overly disturb the seal.

My problem with ear protection is they all seems to block the mids more than the lows and other frequencies. This makes my guitar levels seem much lower in the mix to me so I have to turn up to hear a full guitar sound. Then if I take off the protection I realize the guitar is way too loud. I much prefer playing with musicians who can control their levels for the room and keep it quiet so we can all hear each other. Of course I also prefer playing R&B/Soul, but the ear protection problem (reducing crucial mids) holds even more for me when playing rock.

Maybe try boosting your mids more just for rehearsals?

Practicing loud with ear protection and complaining you can't hear it.... does not make any sense.

Edit: I know it comes down to the drummer. All other payers do the same, fighting the volume.
I bet when he hits the snare your head would blow up. I had one of those drummers. Because he knows how to hit it "right" and get the good tone. How about he saves up that "coolness" for the live show?
So, have a beer with the drummer and talk.

Last edited:
Tinnitus is not my friend. PIA at times. It's nothing you want. Belive me.

I still play loud though.

+1 and ditto. The Who said "hope I die before I get old"...well, ask Pete Townsend and Roger Daltry how they their hearing is these days. Anyone who gigged steadily or heavily from the mid-1970s through the mid 1990s (because WE COULD, DAMMIT!!) is probably paying a price right now for all of that decadence, making love to their Marshall stacks and Ampeg SVT refrigerators cranked to 11.

Also, you're driving the power amp so hard that it limits how effective the tone controls are. You might want to ease up on the Master Volume. I think too much overall gain is also working against you.

Matrix makes a passive FRFR 2x12 cab that might be what you're looking for

Yup, our FR212. 4 ohm, single channel FRFR cab, can go scary loud when it needs to but has a really smooth, "big hi-fi" like sound to it. We built it to be serious backline, if your problem is a loud drummer, this is the answer. Alright, there may be other answers (such as taping carpet to his drum heads ... :lol

It works well with something between a 500 and 1000W amp behind it.

Well....since I just joined this band of 5yrs. it's going to be a little feather-ruffling if I tell him to simmer down. I'll give the Mid Boost and Master Volume a look/see at the next practice.

Back
Top Bottom