loud buzz with monitors connected to axefx thru xlr

krmtsr

I use axefx with my m-audio bx5a monitors. I use the xlr outs of the axe into xlr ins of my bx5as. Whenever I turn on the monitors without turning on the axe first, I get a loud what you'd call a "buzz" not just any sort of a "hiss". Very similar to what you'd hear when you turn on your guitar amp but do not plug your guitar into it. I am asking if this might be fatal to the axe or to the monitors, the buzz is gone when I turn on the axe, so I usually try to turn on the axe first and then the monitors. If anyone knows why this is the case and how to solve it, I would greatly appreciate your guidance.

Thanks

Cliff gave an explanation a while back on why this happens for some users. I don't believe it hurts anything
That being said, you should always turn the axe-fx (or any other audio device) on first before your monitors and turn your monitors off first before powering down the audio devices.

Thanks for the reply, it would be great if there was any link to Cliff's expalanation for this problem.

regardless of this particular problem, you should always turn on any amps or powered speakers last. turn on mixers, processors, effects, and plug in mics and guitars etc first, then amps and powered speakers last to prevent any popping or damage.

turning off is the reverse: turn off amps or powered speakers first, etc.

this goes for all audio equipment, including the axe-fx.

Back
Top Bottom