Lots of background noise.

CLMusic

Hi, I'm using my AX8 plugged directly into my Steinberg UR22 USB MIDI Interface, and then out to TAPCO S5 active studio monitors, and it seems I'm getting a lot of noise in the background, while my guitar volume is completely off, whether I'm on a clean or Hi Gain sound. I'm using just a regular guitar cable (both ends have just the 1 black ring) from the Left Main OUT 1 into the Input 2 of the interface with Hi-Z. Should I be using the Humbuster cable to remedy this? Or is there a better way to set it up?

Thanks.

Make sure you’re set to Line Level input on the interface, and that you aren’t cranking up the interface gain.

What happens if you connect the AX8 directly to the speaker? (Start with AX8 volume all the way down.)

Also, how high do you have the Out 1 knob on the top panel of the AX8?

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

I'm plugged into the line input, with hi Z my gain is at about one third, any higher and my signal starts clipping, my out 1 level is also about one third. I tried plugging straight into the monitors and there is absolutely no noise even with my output at max, and the sound is very clear.

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply.

I'm plugged into the line input, with hi Z my gain is at about one third, any higher and my signal starts clipping, my out 1 level is also about one third. I tried plugging straight into the monitors and there is absolutely no noise even with my output at max, and the sound is very clear.
hi z input is for a guitar directly plugged in, a very low signal. as i mentioned, you need to set it for Line Level.

Interesting, I can't remember where I read that I needed to put hi Z (or maybe I dreamt it) but tonight I will switch it off, follow the setup instructions again for setting the levels and see if I can get a better result.

I have the UR22 as well and it automatically sets line level or mic level depending upon the cable used. XLR is mic level, 1/4" is line level. The Hi Z switch only works on channel 2 and when using a 1/4" cable. It provides approximately the same level as using an XLR cable (mic level) when engaged. With the Hi Z engaged, once the gain is set to achieve the same volume level as line level, the extraneous noise is the same.
Interesting, I can't remember where I read that I needed to put hi Z (or maybe I dreamt it) but tonight I will switch it off, follow the setup instructions again for setting the levels and see if I can get a better result.
I adjust my presets to just over 0 on the VU meter, my OUT 1 set at noon (50%). Using a 1/4" cable and the Hi Z off, I usually set the UR22 output at noon and adjust the Channel Gain to get the volume I need, which usually ends up around noon as well. The level you have your monitors set will make a difference as well, just something else to look at. I have Behringer Truth B2030A's and they are set to nominal or 0.

Thank you all for your help. I am now plugged into the line input without Hi Z, with my levels set properly, and it is much better than before. The sound has more depth and clarity due to the reduced noise. There is still a slight amount of noise that is noticeable but not really annoying, would the humbusters get rid of this noise completely or is it normal?

Thanks again.

There is still a slight amount of noise that is noticeable but not really annoying, would the humbusters get rid of this noise completely or is it normal?
Depends on the noise and where it’s coming from. If it’s ground-loop noise, Humbusters will help. If the noise is being picked up through your guitar, Humbusters won’t touch it.

The noise is the same regardless of the preset I'm on and even when my guitar and ax8 out is turned down. The noise gets louder if I increase the gain on my line input and if I turn up the master volume on my interface

The noise is the same regardless of the preset I'm on and even when my guitar and ax8 out is turned down. The noise gets louder if I increase the gain on my line input and if I turn up the master volume on my interface
So the noise isn’t coming in through your guitar. What happens to the noise when you disconnect your AX8 from your interface?

Try an XLR cable from the AX8 to the UR22 and if required flip the GND lift switch above the XLR output.

If I use XLR cable from AX8 to the Interface, should I get 2 of them, and plug one in L and the other in R in the XLR output, and then plug the 1/4'' ends each to a Line input? Or do I just use the Left XLR output for mono and plug the 1/4'' end in a single Line input?

I would use the XLR inputs and adjust the gain. No use in spending money on XLR-TS cables/adapters (just my two cents).

Last edited:
So just a female to male XLR from the Out1 on the AX8 into my line input? Also should I be using 2 XLR cables for L and R output, and use 2 inputs on my interface?

So I purchased a couple of xlrs, it got rid of all the noise I was getting, and it's also much louder and more clear. Thanks everyone who contributed for helping me find a solution!

Back
Top Bottom