Losing playback audio, but not FM9 audio

Fat Dad

Inspired
I was playing along with a YouTube backing track with Preset 331: Mr. Floyd on my FM9 with headphones and suddenly the YouTube playback audio stopped. The video kept going and I could still hear my guitar, but no playback. I turned the FM9 off, then on again, and everything went back to normal. Then, about 5 minutes later, I lost audio just in the left side of the headphones--however I could still hear guitar from the FM9 in both sides of the headphones. A power cycle also solved this, but I wonder if anyone has had this issue and could help me solve it as this is pretty much how I jam these days.

Running Windows 10 on my Laptop.

Thanks!!

Are you running USB audio from your computer into the FM9 and using the headphone port on the FM9? I would recommend this.

Or are you running the FM9 into the computer via an interface?

I have a Win10 laptop and it happens to me also. I have an Axe Fx, but that doesn't matter. It's just something about the computer imo. I just pull the USB and re-insert it. Have no idea how to fix it though, short of getting a computer more designed for this type of use.

Are you running USB audio from your computer into the FM9 and using the headphone port on the FM9? I would recommend this.

Or are you running the FM9 into the computer via an interface?
I'm running USB audio from my computer into the FM9 using the headphone port of the FM9. (Sorry for sounding redundant. I just wanted to be precise.)

I tried the interface awhile back just for giggles, but found the workflow super clunky and not intuitive at all, so back to USB direct from FM9 into my laptop.

Is the general thinking that this is a computer issue and not a FM9 issue? I'd be more than happy to check any settings on my laptop that might contribute to the issue. I'm just not sure where to start.

There’s a USB FW Update thread where some issues similar have been reported with the FM9/III’s USB and audio dropouts. I had something similar happen with my III over the weekend where it dropped audio and Logic automatically tried switching to a different device, then it popped back up in a minute. 2nd time I had to restart.

Since the OP was able to hear with headphones fine but it was the computer’s audio coming in via USB, I’m assuming the issue is like others have reported. Might want to add it to that thread just for documentation/potentially helpful info.

I had this issue last night. Playing along to a YouTube track and once again watching an FM9 tutorial on YouTube.

This loss of signal from Fractal via USB to the computer is caused by a power surge in the electrical outlet. For me it happened when my fridge turned off then I lost the sound from Ax FX III. I solved this problem by plugging the Ax FX III into a surge protector. Sorry for my poor English, it's not my native language :)

This loss of signal from Fractal via USB to the computer is caused by a power surge in the electrical outlet. For me it happened when my fridge turned off then I lost the sound from Ax FX III. I solved this problem by plugging the Ax FX III into a surge protector. Sorry for my poor English, it's not my native language :)
My laptop and FM9 are plugged into a surge protector, so I'm not sure if this is the issue.

There were some recent updates for Windows 10 (for me, they downloaded on December 14th, 2022). I have uninstalled them and disabled automatic updates. I'm going to see if that was the culprit as that is around the time I started having issues. I've read that there have been issues with Windows 10 and 11 updating and then randomly changing the audio output source. I can't verify that that's the issue, but deleted and disabled the updates was my next logical step.

I thought I had struck some luck downloading the backing tracks that I was originally streaming from youtube, but after about 10 or 12 minutes, the issue happened again.

I'd like to keep this going as an informational thread as I have seen other folks with this same anomoly happen to them and the beta 1.01 USB thread just doesn't seem like the right place to keep talking about this. My FM9 came new with 1.01.

This is not a new topic. There was another thread started awhile back. I am running windows 11 on a new laptop I purchased specifically for my FM9. The issue has been there from the beginning. I just reboot the FM9 when it happens and move on until someone figures it out. I have tried with no luck.

This is not a new topic. There was another thread started awhile back. I am running windows 11 on a new laptop I purchased specifically for my FM9. The issue has been there from the beginning. I just reboot the FM9 when it happens and move on until someone figures it out. I have tried with no luck.
Have you tried rolling back the firmware from 4.0 to 3.0? I received my fm9 with 3.0 and 1.01 usb and I’m just curious if going back to 3.0 would resolve the issue.

COPIED/PASTED FROM THE AXE III THREAD REGARDING THE SAME ISSUE:

OK, so after a lot of research, I think I might have found, at least, MY issue.

I was using a long USB cable that I found from work with the logic that I'd be able to curl it around my desk and out of the way. I am finding that was probably the culprit and it corrupted my USB ports. I went into my Windows Device Manager and uninstalled ALL of the USB ports and then restarted my computer, which automatically re-installs them, which would, in theory, repair the corruption.

It has only been about half an hour and I have been able to play along with a YouTube backing track, have FM9 Edit open and open another window without my computer freezing and having to unplug my USB cable. I will report back with more info once some time has passed.

Have a happy and safe new year, folks!

UPDATE: 2 DAYS, NO ISSUE AFTER RESETTING THE USBs.

Back
Top Bottom