Looper Start/Stop and Changing scene or preset in the same stomp

ralphonz

Inspired
Hello Hive Mind,

I'm thinking of getting an MFC because using the behringer FCB with the looper is unbearable - mainly because the lights on the pedal don't necessarily correspond to whats going on on the axe. And I can't see what preset I'm on without looking at the axe screen which is a pain in the middle of a song.

I have a few tunes where I need to stop or start the looper at the same time as changing scene or preset and wondered if the MFC could do this? The ability to run the sequencer and LFO's at the same time as playing the loop would also be very useful.

How easy is the looper mode to use on the MFC in a gig or jam situation? From what i've read I have to hold a switch to get to the looper controls which sounds like too much to do mid-song.

What I need in a pedal is instant access to looper controls and scenes only and some expression pedals (who needs fx bypasses when we have scenes to control that and a whole lot more?),

Any thoughts tips and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

I am not 100% sure but I don't know if you can change a preset with out loosing the recorded loop. scenes are no problem. the only thing looper wise you will gain is switch lights. but you will have patch read out. I love my axe but the looper is a weak point imo. Glad I am not that big on loops. I am not pro line 6 but I have a 500x pod (sounds like horse poo compared to axe ) but the looper is a lot more like a loop station. If you use loops a lot you may look at a loop station.

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I change preset while keeping the loop all the time using my FCB1010. As long as both presets contain a looper block its fine. I'm already familiar with the looper and the way it works but controlling it with the FCB is difficult with those badly made plastic switches and lack of visual feedback from the axe. The looper block seems ok to me but limited in that you can only do one loop - but i'm just starting out on my loop adventures, perhaps I'd be better off putting my money into a good loop station?

Another powerful looping solution with the Axe - that I have been enjoying a lot - is to plug in a laptop by USB and run a software looper.

My choice for software looper is the freeware Mobius and although it currently is 32 bit code I know a trick to make it run under a 64 bit OS.

I like the LPR block too, since it is already in the box, but when changing preset it does a quick half volume drop. Have not found a way to avoid that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.gordius.be/midi-footcontroller-lg.php

That foot switch lets you map any command or streams of commands to any switch. Switches can configured to act like a momentary switch, a stomp-box switch, a press-time switch (you set time), and it can send separate commands after the press-time has been reached. Switches can send commands when pressed and separate commands when released.

You can also tell the LEDs in the switches AND the display screen what to do when you press a switch. Switches can be on or off or blinking at various rates, pre-programmed text can pop on the screen, and you can determine font size. You can have one switch turn on or blink LEDs in other switches, etc etc.

And you only need one midi cable. Midi can be set for two-way, which means you can receive axe-fx tuner and send commands all down a single cable.

You can make the Gordius do what you need and about anything else you can think up. Other foot switches? Not so much.

Hello Hive Mind,

I'm thinking of getting an MFC because using the behringer FCB with the looper is unbearable - mainly because the lights on the pedal don't necessarily correspond to whats going on on the axe. And I can't see what preset I'm on without looking at the axe screen which is a pain in the middle of a song.

I have a few tunes where I need to stop or start the looper at the same time as changing scene or preset and wondered if the MFC could do this? The ability to run the sequencer and LFO's at the same time as playing the loop would also be very useful.

How easy is the looper mode to use on the MFC in a gig or jam situation? From what i've read I have to hold a switch to get to the looper controls which sounds like too much to do mid-song.

What I need in a pedal is instant access to looper controls and scenes only and some expression pedals (who needs fx bypasses when we have scenes to control that and a whole lot more?),

Any thoughts tips and recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

+ 1
That's also the one I'm using. But you forgot to tell that it has a screen saver! :)
Yes, the "pong" screensaver. Pretty cool. Regarding looping, I'm still using Axe-Fx. When I'm ready though, I created an extensive template in Ableton Live that lets me create 3 separate looper "stacks", add/remove parts to those stacks, switch between them and add/remove effects to layers in the looper stacks. I really pushed the Gordius on that setup. It's simply amazing what it can do.

Thanks for the info guys.

I was tempted to use ableton as my looper so I might give that as go with the FCB before i shell out any more cash

Just to clarify the title of this thread, for all of you with an MFC:

Is it possible to change scene/preset and start/stop the loop at the same time using the MFC-101?

The more I play and Jam with the axe the more I think I want an MFC for all the little things (like being able to see which patch you're on by looking at your feet). I like using ableton for looping at home but don't really want to use a computer on stage.

Yeah I'm trying to figure this out as well ... Is it possible to change scene/preset and start/stop the loop at the same time using the MFC-101?

I need scene changes and looper rec and play all on the same reveal page on the mfc101.

Anyone figure out how?

Check out "General Purpose IA Switches". You can have any given switch send two Control Changes (with values), a Program Change and an arbitrary Custom MIDI Message when pressed. See the MFC-101 Owner's Manual chapter 5, section 5.1.3 and particularly 5.2.

I think my head is full from 2 days of programming the MFC and Axe to work together.

In light of the AXE FX III - how does the looper setup function with an MFC - I know there is a duality function on the MFC IA buttons, but I don't quite understand what to do for the looper in the FX III.

Can anyone elaborate please?

Back
Top Bottom