• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Looking into buying Axe FX Standard. QUESTIONS

The SLA2 says 4 ohms each per channel and my 412 mesa has L and R inputs at 4 ohms each so I should just be able to run it stereo no problem with the ART? I know the basics of ohms with a mono setup but have never done a stereo rig.

Yes that will work ;)

I read the manual and got some answers to certain things... but...
Can you add a noise gate into the fx loop of the amp block? To get the effect of having a gate in front of the amp as well as in the effects loop (complete silence between riffs) or is the noise gate that's always on already sorta in the front and the back?

Also... would I be using the input 1 and 2 as well as output 1 and 2 knobs on the front if I'm running stereo or still Just the in 1 and out 1?

I'm also wondering if all the super intricate stuff on the axe fx is fairly neautral before it's touched? Like I'm used to playing my 5150... If I make a patch with a ts808 going into the 5150 sim and just start tweeking the knobs that would normally appear on the OD and 5150 and not too much else I should be in familiar territory?

for the last question yes. For the volume question, once i have my patches, I use the amp blocks volume to level them (get them all the same volume). I then run the Power amp full, and the Axe Volume full - and set the gain in the global output so that its as loud as Im ever going to want it - or until im putting the Max watts into my speaker cab. After than i use the Axe Volume control as my "overall volume". Fully left is off - fully right is max.

I have said it once and Ill say it again - DONT USE STEREO IN THAT CAB. First, you said your copying L to R. That means your not running stereo - your running dual mono which serves no purpose really. Second if you Were running stereo you may get phase issues. thirdly stereo is useless on stage unless there is separation - which means using two cabs. Running a stereo signal into a single cab is just useless - youll get no benefit and may cause issues. Your far better running your cab in mono (which means an 8 Ohms load), then bridging the Art. This will give you more power - which doesnt mean more volume par se, but will give much better speaker control. it will also give a better on stage sound.

for the last question yes. For the volume question, once i have my patches, I use the amp blocks volume to level them (get them all the same volume). I then run the Power amp full, and the Axe Volume full - and set the gain in the global output so that its as loud as Im ever going to want it - or until im putting the Max watts into my speaker cab. After than i use the Axe Volume control as my "overall volume". Fully left is off - fully right is max.

I have said it once and Ill say it again - DONT USE STEREO IN THAT CAB. First, you said your copying L to R. That means your not running stereo - your running dual mono which serves no purpose really. Second if you Were running stereo you may get phase issues. thirdly stereo is useless on stage unless there is separation - which means using two cabs. Running a stereo signal into a single cab is just useless - youll get no benefit and may cause issues. Your far better running your cab in mono (which means an 8 Ohms load), then bridging the Art. This will give you more power - which doesnt mean more volume par se, but will give much better speaker control. it will also give a better on stage sound.

Yes you are quite right about the 'dual-mono' thing, it won't necessarily help, but as for a stereo cab setup, I'ts purely a matter of taste. I use a single stereo 4x12 cab (with little or no physical seperation) and it sounds fantastic in a live setting. I get so many complements and other guitarists have started looking into a stereo rig after hearing mine. It's important how you set it up I suppose.
Yes there are snobs & naysayers out there who say you must NEVER go stereo in a live setting, but that's like saying, 'Don't experiment with your sound'. I'd say try BOTH ways and let YOUR ears be the judge.

I suppose so, but the whole point of stereo is separation, and your not getting that with one cab. Complements on tone don't mean there hearing the stereo signal - in all likelyhood there hearing a mono one, but with both elements of your tone - left and right. You can achieve the same thing with mono if you program your effects correctly.

the only possible exception I can think of is a dual amp patch - with one amp panned hard left and the other hard right. What you'll get there is the same effect as using two heads into two vertical 2x12s placed side by side. That has some merit.

Alright.. Only reason I thought to use stereo was if I had a stereo chorus or delay going I could hear it hop between my left 12's and my right 12's... Is there any benefit if I go out from my Axe and into my poweramp via XLR if I'm just gonna be going into my cab via 1/4 in the end? I really know nothing about any of this stuff so please go easy on me.. I've tried the search functions but my questions aren't short and something that I can just type in and find straight away...

And Paul when you say "the axe volume" you're referring to the output knob on the front right?

I suppose so, but the whole point of stereo is separation, and your not getting that with one cab. Complements on tone don't mean there hearing the stereo signal - in all likelyhood there hearing a mono one, but with both elements of your tone - left and right. You can achieve the same thing with mono if you program your effects correctly.

the only possible exception I can think of is a dual amp patch - with one amp panned hard left and the other hard right. What you'll get there is the same effect as using two heads into two vertical 2x12s placed side by side. That has some merit.

Actually I rarely use 2 amp sims in a preset. The stereo effect only applies to delays panning etc and I send a tiny bit of that signal to the FOH L&R. It actually works! Again, to anyone i'd say really have a good experiment, and go with what works best for you. Do not listen to people saying "don't do that!", just do it anyway.... you might just stumble on an awesome sound that's all yours.

I'm also wondering if all the super intricate stuff on the axe fx is fairly neautral before it's touched? Like I'm used to playing my 5150... If I make a patch with a ts808 going into the 5150 sim and just start tweeking the knobs that would normally appear on the OD and 5150 and not too much else I should be in familiar territory?

the 'super intricate' stuff on the Axe (advanced amp & amp geek pages) are set to a certain default for every amp. Especially with v11 you'll get instantaneous great results.
Keep in mind that the 'knobs' on the Axe's amp sims DO NOT have the same taper or range as their 'real' world counterparts. IIRC Cliff didn't like some tapers used on certain amps and extended their range, too. (The Tubescreamer sim for exsample is cleaner on low settings and has more gain at the end. If you always set the gain at let's say 11 o'clock you'll have to use your ears instead of your eyes to match that setting.)

so in short: Yes, but it'll sound better... :)

Actually I rarely use 2 amp sims in a preset. The stereo effect only applies to delays panning etc and I send a tiny bit of that signal to the FOH L&R. It actually works! Again, to anyone i'd say really have a good experiment, and go with what works best for you. Do not listen to people saying "don't do that!", just do it anyway.... you might just stumble on an awesome sound that's all yours.

Totally agree with the try it principle. For stereo delays and panning etc though, you as the guitarist will hear it a little - depending where you stand and how far from the cab and the rest of the band and audience will get almost nothing. You could certainly get the same sound using mono delays, but its maybe easier to get thoses effects using the stereo option. In your case your adding to the effect by sending in L/R FOH. This will work of course.

As for the XLR thing, there is a little benefit. XLR is ballanced so you get a hotter signal (6db) with a lower noise figure using XLR. its more critical from Axe to PA as that signal is smaller than the one from PA to cab. Its not essential by any means but XLR would give the better S/N ratio.

So now I'm at using a mono connection and using XLR from axe to poweramp... Then on the poweramp i set it to bridged?

So now I'm at using a mono connection and using XLR from axe to poweramp... Then on the poweramp i set it to bridged?

You don't have to but the result of doing that will be greater head room and will be noticed when using the clean presets.

On the back I saw "4 ohms per channel" and "8 ohms bridged mono" my cabinet is 8 ohms so I guess I'll be doing the bridged mode

On the back I saw "4 ohms per channel" and "8 ohms bridged mono" my cabinet is 8 ohms so I guess I'll be doing the bridged mode

I thought you were running 2 Jbl's? If so you can daisy chain them together (Parallel) and you will have a 4 Ohm load for the amp and 830 Watts available.

Unless the specs have changed for the RMX series which is possible this should be ok.

Specs from the QSC web site.

QSC - RMX Series Amplifiers

Back
Top Bottom