• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Looking into buying Axe FX Standard. QUESTIONS

KsE fan

Inspired
I'm going to get right into and start with my questions. There are quite a few and I'll probably get stumped on this opening post but will update the thread with the questions.

My first few questions were answered so here's a few more...
Lets say I'm running my Axe FX standard when I get it into a ART SLA2 poweramp into my mesa 412 cabinet.. what will the hookups look like in the back? what on axe to what on the poweramp..
Any tips for me to start off with? Turn power amp sims on? I'm really going into this blind and just want a bit of an advantage... I'm gonna try just taking a patch i don't need and shunting everything then just putting in an amp block, work from there... but just the amp block can have so much on it I hear.. then after I'll add a bunch of stuff :) One thing I'm curious about is how to use the volumes... where to set my poweramp level, the output knob on the axe fx, the level and masters on the axe fx... that kinda stuff is what confused me!

Will update with more questions if I have them. My questions seem too long to use the search function because of all the stuff I say in just 1 question so I'm sorry if these are questions that have already been asked....

Last edited:
1. Yes its the Firmware
2. Axe Editor you can download for free on Fractal website
3. When (if) there are new firmware for standard/ultra you download it and update your Axe via midi interface
4. I have no experience with Atomic, but seems loads of people are happy with it
5. Abit low I would think, but havent browsed ebay, craigslist etc etc so Im not sure

Im sure other poeple can chime in on prices and Atomic experience

Answers.

1. Yes, the number mentioned is the unit's firmware version. An awesome thing about Fractal is that their firmware updates are often more than just minor fixes to the software. They have an excellent company conduct that involves truly rewarding a consumer for purchasing their product. Not only do we buy an extensive product, but we "buy in" to updates that further the unit's capabilities with features that most companies would charge for. FW 11 was just released within the past couple weeks along with the announcement of Axe FX II. Unfortunately, this means future Standard, and Ultra updates will probably cease as they focus their attention to their successor.

2. Fractal has not yet released a "finished" version of Axe Edit. They are currently on Beta v. 0.9. It is entirely free; you can download it now if you wanted. It's a tool that makes it much easier to create, edit, sequence and save patches that you have created. I doubt anyone would include it in their post seeing as you can download it for free.

3. In order to use Axe Edit or to update your unit you will need a MIDI interface. I personally own this one; however, I don't think anyone else would recommend this interface to you. It's been known to have some problems on this forum — that being said, I have not had any.

4. Maybe better suited for somebody else to answer... I run my Axe FX directly into the system, and as objectively as something subjective can be I've landed on a tone that is very good. I've never been afraid of digital modelers and didn't have much trouble dialing in a tone that I thought sounded good. I just kept my head on straight and listened with my ears and not my eyes. I've read of others though that had trouble finding a sound that they liked. My only advice is to keep at it and to trust me and the many other happy guitar players. It sounds amazing, and will enlighten you on the many obvious benefits of going digital. If you have trouble direct message me and I will send you some of my patches.

5. I'm not sure about the price either. Check the completed listing section of eBay. Like I said, Fractal just announced Axe FX II, and that means older versions are selling like hotcakes. Supply and Demand tell me that you should be getting a great deal these days.

This forum is very friendly. Every question that I've asked was answered the same day. I hope I helped you out, and if you keep asking, others and myself should keep answering. Axe FX is the way to go.

-peerhan

5. Is it realistic for an axe fx standard to go for roughly 900 USA or Canadian cash on here or ebay at this current time? That's what I'm looking to spend (roughly)

I paid $1100 for my standard on craigslist a few days ago...I've only seen a few standards go for under $1k on ebay recently...When the Axe II finally comes out, the price on the standards might drop into $900 territory.

Not answering the first questions - they've been done.

The Personally I felt the atomic was better than other FRFR solutions for "amp in room" sound - but still sounds a bit too "into a PA" for me. TBH if your after a traditional sound I still think your better into a power amp and cab. Given the cost of the Atomics, i would have though a decent SS power amp into your cab would be of similar cost and maybe more suited to you? Still - you can try the Atomics and go back to Amp/Cab if you dont like it.

Cost - im UK, but the price we pay in £ is roughly the same in $ - new and used. i think $900 is cheap, and more realistic is the $1000 mark. ?they have come down drastically to that figure, once the AFX2 was announced - however its pure speculation what will happen now. some say the price will drop further when the AFX2 ships. Personally i think its at rock bottom price now and may go up a little. the reason? Because there are LOTS of Axe's about at present as people try to sell in preparation for the AFX2 - however, there are only a certain ammount of AFX2s available, there over $2k and there are no Ultra/Standard new options (or wont be when the last stock is sold). This means a "set" number of standards in circulation, and the price of the new option is quite a bit higher. the used price wont recover to "pre-AFX2" levels of course, but I think the will settle at the $1000 to $1100 mark. If you can find one for $1000 or less now Id jump all over it.

Not answering the first questions - they've been done.

The Personally I felt the atomic was better than other FRFR solutions for "amp in room" sound - but still sounds a bit too "into a PA" for me. TBH if your after a traditional sound I still think your better into a power amp and cab. Given the cost of the Atomics, i would have though a decent SS power amp into your cab would be of similar cost and maybe more suited to you? Still - you can try the Atomics and go back to Amp/Cab if you dont like it.

Cost - im UK, but the price we pay in £ is roughly the same in $ - new and used. i think $900 is cheap, and more realistic is the $1000 mark. ?they have come down drastically to that figure, once the AFX2 was announced - however its pure speculation what will happen now. some say the price will drop further when the AFX2 ships. Personally i think its at rock bottom price now and may go up a little. the reason? Because there are LOTS of Axe's about at present as people try to sell in preparation for the AFX2 - however, there are only a certain ammount of AFX2s available, there over $2k and there are no Ultra/Standard new options (or wont be when the last stock is sold). This means a "set" number of standards in circulation, and the price of the new option is quite a bit higher. the used price wont recover to "pre-AFX2" levels of course, but I think the will settle at the $1000 to $1100 mark. If you can find one for $1000 or less now Id jump all over it.

Totally agree...

Well here's the deal as far as cost for the cab and poweramp vs. atomic reactor cab. I've got a buyer for my 5150 for 850... buyer for my cab for 700... and expect to get 100 dollars each for my maxon od808 and my isp decimator which puts me at 1750. If I can get the axe for a grand I've got 750 for an atomic cab which I could either put a bit more cash and get a new atomic cab or just try and get a used one for that.
If I keep my cabinet It brings Me down from 1750 to 1050... Then I'm puttting around 500 dollars into the atomic mono block :( It sucks but I guess I might have to do this...

Thanks for all the replies too everybody... I'm going to school next year for the recording arts (A course composed of live sound, recording, sound design and much more) and I'm going to need pro tools 9 and an interface... if I get any interface that has a midi input anywhere on it.... will that work for the firmware updates? Hopefully I can just get somebody to update there's to 11 before they sell it to me :)

So you guys think Axe Fx standard into mono block into my 412 mesa would be much better for me then? My mesa is the traditional sized 412 btw not the oversized so it's got that upper mid range kick in the nuts hahah

Personally I wouldnt go the mono block either. id go for a used Art SLA or a Used Rocktron Velocity 300 (new version). You'd get those for around $100-$50 used Id think - and there fairly common on the used market. Sell your 5150, and get an Axe for as cheap as you can now. then look for the amp. if you can afford it - go for it. If you cant, you could probably get a decent 2x12 and the amp for what you can sell your 4x12 for. Depends how much you want to keep your own cab, and how much your prepared to add to the cash you'll get for the 5105.

Does the mono block lack something? I just want a good sound and reliable piece of gear that won't break and at the same time won't cost as much as the VHT poweramps

Its not that it lacks anything as far as i know, but its the power stage from the Atomics. as such is is designed to be sonically neutral - which you will get for less money in a SS power amp. a SS power amp will also rack mount with the axe, so is a neater, smaller package. It does not have the valve-nes (for want of a better work0 you'd get with a Mesa or VHT power amp as their not designed to work in the same way.

the only reason why the monoblock is valve (and this is from a chat i had with tom King) is because thats what the guys at atomic were used to working with. there is no technical reason why its better than a SS power amp.

Well, I just sold my 5150 and my ISP decimator, still have my maxon od808 but it will be gone soon... and I just bought an axe fx standard from forum mate rockridge98 so the next step is to choose my poweramp... I guess the cool thing is since the axe fx models poweramps the poweramp won't be a SUPER critical decision? And Ya it'd be nice if I could get a 1 or 2 space unit and then just have me a 4 space rack case....

Hello, I didn't want to make a new thread asking a question that may have been asked many times already but I can't seem to find the answer on my own. I was wondering if it is still possible to purchase a new Axe Fx Standard or if they are now discontinued after the release of the axe fx II?

Depends where you are.

In Europe, you can no longer buy a new standard or ultra. all future stock will be AFX2s. in the US, I believe there are still a few in stock - but not many. Once they are gone there will be no more Standards/Ultras there either.

Another question (mostly aimed towards guys using it with poweramps and cabinets)
what do you do with your volumes? The poweramp's volume, the level on the axe fx, the master... etc. which one do you guys actually use to change your volume after you've already had a patch dialed in for ages and you're just like turning down your amp to play quieter?

Another question (mostly aimed towards guys using it with poweramps and cabinets)
what do you do with your volumes? The poweramp's volume, the level on the axe fx, the master... etc. which one do you guys actually use to change your volume after you've already had a patch dialed in for ages and you're just like turning down your amp to play quieter?

if you're using the Axe as pre and power amp sim, then simply turn down the level control of the amp block.
this is all very basic stuff, I suggest downloading and reading the manual from back to back.
repeatedly.

Im in 12th grade and i dont know too much about anything yet... The course starts in september...

Another nooby question, I just looked at a back panel shot of the SLA2 by ART and I don't seem to understand where the speaker outs are.... anyone can help?

Back
Top Bottom