looking for the right frfr cabinet

rusman75089

hey guys, i'm trying to find the right frfr cabinet. mostley i just practice in the house. sometimes a bunch of my friends get together and play. iwas trying to figure out what the best frfr cab both situations.

i'd say anything. you can pretty much use any speaker, and if you know how to use the global eq for the room you're in, you can pretty much make anything sound good/how you want it.

be careful asking such an open question on a gear forum like this. :) you're going to get answers from people who spend all the money they can on their gear and from others who are on a budget. the budget answers will come out, and the big spenders will squash them down because their gear is superior, thus making you feel you have to get the most expensive gear out there.

"you can get a ______ for under $300 each!"
"but the woofer has too much 500hz in it. you need the ______, and they're only $1000 each"
"but i use the $300 speakers at home and at my gigs and everyone says it sounds great!"
"well obviously no one knows anything because they don't sound great, especially compared to the $1000 ones"
"oh, dang, well i guess i should get the $1000 speakers... sell my car and wife to get them..."

i woud suggest something at least 200 watts, maybe a 10" speaker. i personally use the k10 by qsc, but i've used the eon 15 g2, eon 10 g2, eon 515, yamaha msr, behringer powered speaker, yamaha passive speakers, computers speakers (yes for a small performance!), etc... and they all sounded "good" for what we did.

i only chose the qsc k10s because of the I/O panel on the speakers... very useful.

what is your budget? you say "cabinet"; does that mean you have an external power amp or are you looking for something self-powered?

Reactions: jon
would say about $800 to a $1000 dollars range. most likely looking for something self powered. really just want get off the headphones to see what the axe 2 really has to it. i got a friend that has two adam 7 monitors that he is wanting to sell for $600. he is telling me that they should do the trick for me.

i am having trouble finding the atomic wedges because the site says that they are all out for the past month. would really like to try one of them.

i got a friend that has two adam 7 monitors that he is wanting to sell for $600. he is telling me that they should do the trick for me.
i use the adams a5x, but they are strictly for "desktop" use for mixing and computer listening or practicing by myself. adams products are "near-field" monitors, meaning you need to be near them for them to do their job. i would not suggest buying those for jamming with others. can it work? maybe, but it's not meant for that. but 2 a7x for 600 is a STEAL.

i'd say look at the jbl eon or qsc k series. can you go to a local music store and try stuff out? and then BUY from that store, not online. :)

I think the Adam's could work for you depending on the jam sessions.

If you have a full up drum kit in the room with a heavy hitter, or all your mates bring over 4x12's and 100 watt brains, nearfield monitors might be hard to place to hear yourself and everybody else.

But if its just some combo amps etc. the nearfields will work. I jam with people all the time in my mixing room using vintage NS10m's and a low power Yamaha power amp.

Plus dialing in your patches on the Adam's will be sweet and all for 600$ US.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom