Looking for setup advice (switching between RME and FM3)

Barmaleus

Experienced
Hi everyone!

Surely someone knows what device I'd need to make this setup work =)
Here is what I want to accomplish: when using FM3, entirely bypass RME sound card and get FM3 sound from speakers. When not using FM3, I want to switch to RME and entirely bypass FM3.

What mystery device do I need to make it work? =)

Thanks so much for any advice!

ab.png

Mystery device = mixer.
Thanks! :D This was the first thought, yes. Was wondering if there is a simpler/smaller kinda A/B box or something. Perhaps someone used one in a similar scenario and can recommend one.
I'll continue diggin around.

I use a Behringer Monitor2USB to do kind of this. But it's overkill for what you're doing. It supports 2 inputs, but is mainly meant to let you switch between outputs (3 + headphones). It offers no level controls for the individual inputs and outputs. But it is a nice, big knob to grab for the mains sitting on my desk.

I'll second what @Rex said: get a proper mixer.

Hi everyone!

Surely someone knows what device I'd need to make this setup work =)
Here is what I want to accomplish: when using FM3, entirely bypass RME sound card and get FM3 sound from speakers. When not using FM3, I want to switch to RME and entirely bypass FM3.

What mystery device do I need to make it work? =)

Thanks so much for any advice!

Are you sure there's a need for another device? Take the analog output from the FM3 and direct monitor it through the audio interface. That bypasses any digital processing in the audio interface, so that should do what you're asking for.

See configuration #2 in the recording guide for detailed instructions:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

On the other hand, if by "bypass" you mean you don't even want to turn the audio interface on, then, as was mentioned above, get a Big Knob Passive.

Are you sure there's a need for another device? Take the analog output from the FM3 and direct monitor it through the audio interface. That bypasses any digital processing in the audio interface, so that should do what you're asking for.
This is a good point. The RME has 4 analog INs -- if @Barmaleus doesn't need all 4 for other things, just run the Fractal in to it and mix in the RME.

That's actually what I do here with all my Fractal devices and a Scarlett rack-mount interface. The Scarlett is acting as a mixer for me for all the devices plus mic pres when I need them. Scarlett runs into the Monitor2USB. Monitor2USB to my various speakers and headphones.

Back
Top Bottom