Looking for Personal Monitor Mixer (rack)

bvaughn0402

Inspired
Hey guys,

I'm trying to build a rig that will enable me to create my own personal monitor mix. I have three signals:

1) my mic
2) my electric guitar through Axe-FX
3) my piezo guitar through Axe-FX

Ideally, I would love a 1U rackmount mixer that I could split my mic and Axe-FX into. I would use it as a personal monitor, independent of the PA. This monitor would be pre-PA. I have some VoiceLive rack gear, so I would either use that to split my mic, or just get some kind of direct box to split it.

Of course the Axe-FX has numerous outputs, so that shouldn't be a problem.

But ... for the life of me, I can't find a good, yet low-priced 1U rack mixer to do this type of thing. I can find the cheaper Behinger mixers that aren't rackmounted that would work. But either I keep finding headphone distribution mixers which I don't need, or I find rack mixers which don't have a headphone output (particularly on the front).

I know this isn't the typical way to do monitoring, but for now this is the setup I think best meets my need.

Does anyone have any recommendation for such a mixer?

I suppose I could run it all through the Axe, but I worry about CPU, and also I would not want to merge signals in the output. I want to keep the guitar (combo) as one signal, and the mic as a separate signal. I don't want to merge the mic and guitar as I want to give the soundguy the ability to control each.

Thanks for any help or direction on this! I've searched and searched and haven't come up with any feasible solution yet.

Thanks,
Brandon

not a 1 rack unit piece - even smaller:

Rolls PM350b Personal Monitor Mixer Plus. Will accept mic input (with pass through), mono/stereo Line Input, mono/stereo Instrument Input (with pass through). Level knobs for these three inputs for balancing outputs (1/4" and 1/8" headphone jacks).

http://www.rolls.com/pdf/M_PM350b.pdf

not a 1 rack unit piece - even smaller:

Rolls PM350b Personal Monitor Mixer Plus. Will accept mic input (with pass through), mono/stereo Line Input, mono/stereo Instrument Input (with pass through). Level knobs for these three inputs for balancing outputs (1/4" and 1/8" headphone jacks).

http://www.rolls.com/pdf/M_PM350b.pdf

I've looked at the Rolls and it is an option. But could also go with a Behinger Onyx (?) mixer too, and possibly for cheaper. Both aren't rackmounts, but may be the way to go.

I've thought about just searching out an old rack mixer (like a Yamaha). They just don't seem to make such things anymore, so I may have to go used and old school if I want it racked.

I actually own a DOD R855 rack mixer. It's old as all get out, and only has Hi-z mic inputs, but probably is something like what you're looking for. You can find some of this old gear on eBay.

i've looked for the same thing, always missing something. I need to have eq on each channel, at least 4 xlr ins.. i ended up using a little behringer mixer, has 4 xlr's, and some built in effects, easy to see at a gig, and make adjustments.

+1 on Rane. They make super low noise gear. I use the SM-28 line mixer in my rack to split my outputs so I can still use my FX loop for pedals. I can also use the Rane to accept a monitor mix from FOH if needed. The trouble with my mixer is that it accepts line level signals only so this won't work for your needs since you want to plug in a mic.

The Rane mixer above should be great. Search eBay. My SM-28 retails for $499. I paid $149 on eBay.

Back
Top Bottom